Why always DDR2 instead of DDR3 for suggestions

Unteddybear

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I'm looking/learning for building a gaming comp soon and I have read many times where people have stated that DDR3 is a waste and get DDR2. Is this specific for each build or just that other hardware technology is holding DDR3 back?
Also while I'm thinking about it. Why is DDR2 1066 the most/only recommended ram speed for OC'ing and DDR2 800 for non OC?

Thank you for any clarifications on this

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
DDR2 is OC'able to near DDR3 speeds, at less than half the price. The reason for DDR2 800 over 1066 is price, and Core procs have no IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) so RAM speed is negligable (can OC better than AMD too).

Unteddybear

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
So any Core 2 Duo system would never need anything over DDR2 1066 then?
How do you determine the speed of RAM needed for AMD systems that use IMC and dont have a FSB?
Are motherboards that have memory standards of DDR3 1600/1333 basically forcing you to buy the more expensive RAM(instead of DDR2) or do they actually benefit from better RAM?

Well partly you are correct...Other computer components do not fully utilize the DDR3 speeds...That is the main reason why people suggest to go with a high performing DDR2 over a low performing DDR3...
A high performing DDR2 can be bought for less than a cheapest DDR3 1066 RAM...So there is no point buying a slower DDR3 over a faster DDR2...

But things will change within this year, as we can see DDR3 come to mainstream market. Both intel and AMD have launched CPUs, which support DDR3, and their future components will natively support only DDR3(for eg. the i7 supports only DDR3)

Well to achieve high overclocks, it is not only enough to push the CPU's speed up, but also the other main supporting components(RAM and the board FSB have to run at high speeds) So thats why 1066MHz RAM is recommended for high overclock.
Actually you can even overclock a DDR2 800 to speeds close to DDR1066 but will limit to certain FSB/

Well those trigger a transition from the DDR2 to DDR3...
Actually till now only the x58 chipsets have a good DDR3 support because intel has now integrated memory controller like AMD...and no other chipset have taken complete advantage of the DDR3 speeds...