Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking I7-920

Last response: in Overclocking
April 8, 2010 7:16:37 PM

When overclocking an I7920 should Muti Threading be Enabled or Disabled?

More about : overclocking 920

a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 8:10:41 PM

I think you mean Hyper Threading and yes leave it enabled.
m
l
April 8, 2010 8:23:53 PM

On my Gigabyte mobo it is CPU multi Threading. I can't find Hyper Threading in the BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 8:41:26 PM

WilliamP said:
On my Gigabyte mobo it is CPU multi Threading. I can't find Hyper Threading in the BIOS.

Must just be a brand thing in the BIOS then as my DFI's call it the other but yes I'd still leave it enabled.

It's a performance thing that will manifest itself depending on what you are doing.

My equipment crunches distributed computing work units so my PC works on 8 work units at the same time whereas if that were disabled it would only do 4 at a time.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 163 K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 8:56:17 PM

It depends.....HT takes the 920 from 4 to 8 cores .... which means the CPU is working harder. At the same OC, running w/ 8 cores will take your temps as much as 10C higher than running w/ 4 cores.

My son uses an "everyday" OC profile at 3.7 GHz and has HT and all other BIOS features at default settings . At a vCore of 1.125 volts, his core temps are in the mid 50's. He has a "gaming" profile at 4.2 GHz which he uses to play some demanding games as they don't take advantage of 8 cores and by turning off HT, he was able to score the 4.2 and still keep CPU core temps in low 70's. He has yet another profile at 4.4 Ghz with HT on but it involves turning off or adjusting a lot of other BIOS features.
m
l
!