SSD vs HDD (Funny comparison)

sub mesa

Distinguished
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiLSXvNaCME&fmt=22

I think the poster of that vid does not understand why SSDs are faster. He let's you show an ATTO-benchmark which tests only sequential I/O; that's absolutely not the reason SSDs are faster and a 350MB/s sequential read is a poor performance for two SSDs in RAID0 anyway.

The real gain, of course, is IOps. But that term does not mean anything to a large amount of pc users. Still, it is what actually makes these SSDs so fast; not their double sequential speeds.

ruffopurititiwang

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

that's 400 + sequential read if you look at the graph itself. Show me a non-SSD raid 0 mainstream drive that can reach that speed. Slow? I don't think so!

I believe the poster has shown in the vid that SSDs have faster I/O & random read performance by launching those 50 applications at once. And it also shows how well it does in multi-tasking. This is the closest you can get to benchmarking "snappiness".

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
SSDs are only good for their random read which is miles ahead of HDDs. This gives windows an edge for launching applications and such. Sustained read/write is only meh.

Rather than comparing 2 SSD in raid 0 VS 2 HDD in raid 0. It is probably more fair to compare how many HDDs you can buy and raid them lol.

A couple good HDDs in raid 0 can probably get sustained read up to 300mb/s. Then again for the price of two SDDs, you can probably get more than two if not several HDDs. random read would still suck but im just saying SSDs aren't that good.

The video also used crappy 250GB hard drives, probably WD SE16 250GB. They are only testing opening random programs. They should test handling large one time operations like massive videos or loading large programs.