Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Microsoft and DTV/HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:15:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

<http://www.forbes.com/2005/09/09/tv-broadcasting-micros...;

Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
<http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm&gt;

More about : microsoft dtv hdtv

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 7:04:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

K. B. wrote:

fwiw, the title (by K.B.) of this post is:
"Microsoft and DTV/HDTV"

> <http://www.forbes.com/2005/09/09/tv-broadcasting-micros...;

interesting article

not too surprising, considering that Gates
is mr. digital (PC computer software) and how
MS/Gates is also into NBC

(my memory is that there used to also be
analog computers. :)  do they still exist?)

snipped from the article:

<"Getting all the heavy analog signals freed up will
provide the bandwidth for the U.S. government to
finally create a nationwide interoperable first-responder
communication network--a need highlighted again
by Hurricane Katrina.">

that should help. :) 

<"Earlier this summer, the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce,
Science and Transportation met to finally set a date for the
mandatory transition, Dec. 31, 2008.">


i'll lean on you a bit: isn't that even longer than
the recent posting on this n/g? (mainly by you)


<" But Microsoft is staying
ahead of the curve. By producing these new set-top boxes early,
the price could come down significantly by the time the
transition happens.">

LOL! the open question is: *when* will digital
TV tuner prices come down?

at least i think that's the ref

i know: i'm leaning on you again
for some plain speak info on the
subject of dates (all of my local
(Chicago area) channels now are broadcasting
in digital (5 of them in multiple channels))

on a related topic, thank you to you and
Jeff Rife and Sal M. Onella for your recent
*useful* input(s) on tuners and antenna amps

fwiw, i bought 2 US Digital TV tuner boxes (from
a local Wal-Mart). 1 gave the 1st to a relative.
the 2nd had a faulty on/off switch ((the box) and
was missing the manual), but the on/off on the
remote worked OK. when i asked the Wal-Mart video
manager to please get another so that i could exchange
the mildly faulty unit, he called the store manager
and informed me that i'd have to order it mail-order
from their .com site. :( 

i did a small amount of homework (on google) and
ordered a Samsung SIR-T451 from B&H Photo coz
it appears to offer direct video/audio input
into a personal computer (i'll find out in 2 weeks)

my one day asessment is this:

the T451 is slightly clunkier to use (aspect options
and having to 3 layer sub menu down to showing
antenna signal strength)

the pluses are that it has a lot more options
(computer input as noted above), other stuff,
and maybe a slightly better tuner (slightly less
likely to digitize than the the US Digital tuner)

you can download the pdf manual from samsung

out of honest curiosity, do you have a digital
TV tuner box?

or do you have a HDTV with a built in digital
TV tuner?

all ears, bill
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:29:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:04:24 -0500 willbill <trek@worldwide.net> wrote:
| K. B. wrote:
|
| fwiw, the title (by K.B.) of this post is:
| "Microsoft and DTV/HDTV"
|
|> <http://www.forbes.com/2005/09/09/tv-broadcasting-micros...;
|
| interesting article
|
| not too surprising, considering that Gates
| is mr. digital (PC computer software) and how
| MS/Gates is also into NBC

Gates is Mr. mind control.


| (my memory is that there used to also be
| analog computers. :)  do they still exist?)

Most likely in a museum.


| snipped from the article:
|
| <"Getting all the heavy analog signals freed up will
| provide the bandwidth for the U.S. government to
| finally create a nationwide interoperable first-responder
| communication network--a need highlighted again
| by Hurricane Katrina.">
|
| that should help. :) 

Not in the case of Katrina. Existing communications were down
initially because all the infrastructure to support it was damaged or
destroyed or just without power.

Communications for fire and police in New York City on 2001-09-11 would
have benefitted by more modern systems that needed new bands to enabled
the migration. Channels 52-69 will provide some of that in UHF.

What is also needed for a nationwide emergency communications plan is
the HF spectrum which can be used with no interveaning support
infrastructure. As soon as someone can get HF communications in one
spot up and running in a large disaster area, then that spot can
communication directly with other existing HF communications elsewhere.
But there is one big problem with HF communications that the FCC is
creating, not solving. And that is something called BPL. Basically
BPL (Broadband of Power Lines) is data modulated at frequencies all of
the HF range on unshielded and non-twisted wiring that serves as much
as an antenna as it does a transmission line.

If you really want to see a diverse and reliable emergency
communications ability that can handle natural or man-made disasters
of Katrina size or larger, you should write the FCC and your Congress
persons and demand that power companies stay out of the Internet game
(or at the very least, deploy a growable infrastructure like fiber
optics, that won't be a financial sinkhole) and focus more on making
power generation, exchange, transmission, and distribution more
reliable.


| <" But Microsoft is staying
| ahead of the curve. By producing these new set-top boxes early,
| the price could come down significantly by the time the
| transition happens.">
|
| LOL! the open question is: *when* will digital
| TV tuner prices come down?

When it gets well integrated into a single chip, with a minimum of
external RF support circuitry.


| the T451 is slightly clunkier to use (aspect options
| and having to 3 layer sub menu down to showing
| antenna signal strength)

I've seen very very few well designed menu systems in consumer electronics.

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Phil Howard KA9WGN | http://linuxhomepage.com/ http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/ http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Related resources
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:29:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:04:24 -0500 willbill <trek@worldwide.net> wrote:

> | the T451


meaning the Samsung SIR-T451
(a USA digital TV tuner)


> | is slightly clunkier to use (aspect options
> | and having to 3 layer sub menu down to showing
> | antenna signal strength)
>
> I've seen very very few well designed menu systems in consumer electronics.

given that you've recently posted that you have
*no* recent digital TV equipment... imho, you are
a TOTAL _*MORON*_ and no one who reads here should
give any credence to your TOTALLY dumb/worthless
recent posts

imho of course. :) 

bill
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 3:00:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

willbill wrote:
> phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:04:24 -0500 willbill <trek@worldwide.net> wrote:
>
>
>> | the T451
>
>
>
> meaning the Samsung SIR-T451
> (a USA digital TV tuner)
>
>
>> | is slightly clunkier to use (aspect options
>> | and having to 3 layer sub menu down to showing
>> | antenna signal strength)
>>
>> I've seen very very few well designed menu systems in consumer
>> electronics.
>
>
> given that you've recently posted that you have
> *no* recent digital TV equipment... imho, you are
> a TOTAL _*MORON*_ and no one who reads here should
> give any credence to your TOTALLY dumb/worthless
> recent posts
>
> imho of course. :) 
>

Oooh! Watch out, he will probably start blasting you with his verbal
diarrhea.

Matthew

--
Thermodynamics and/or Golf for dummies: There is a game
You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 9:31:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:04:24 -0500, willbill
<trek@worldwide.net> posted:

><"Earlier this summer, the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce,
> Science and Transportation met to finally set a date for the
> mandatory transition, Dec. 31, 2008.">
>
>i'll lean on you a bit: isn't that even longer than
>the recent posting on this n/g? (mainly by you)

The USA OTA analog TV shutoff is still scheduled for (very)
late 2008/early 2009.

>LOL! the open question is: *when* will digital
>TV tuner prices come down?

Low ATSC STB cost depends on volume production to drive down
the cost of ATSC 8VSB tuners and MPEG-2 HDTV video decoders.

>out of honest curiosity, do you have a digital
>TV tuner box?

I have the USDTV STB from Wal-Mart and I've found the GE
Optima VHF/UHF passive indoor antenna works very well here
in the Kansas City suburbs.
I'm 4 to 10 miles from the DTV transmitters, according to
<http://www.antennaweb.org&gt;

Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
<http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm&gt;
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:46:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:33:53 -0500 willbill <trek@worldwide.net> wrote:

| phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
|
|> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:04:24 -0500 willbill <trek@worldwide.net> wrote:
|
|> | the T451
|
|
| meaning the Samsung SIR-T451
| (a USA digital TV tuner)
|
|
|> | is slightly clunkier to use (aspect options
|> | and having to 3 layer sub menu down to showing
|> | antenna signal strength)
|>
|> I've seen very very few well designed menu systems in consumer electronics.
|
| given that you've recently posted that you have
| *no* recent digital TV equipment... imho, you are
| a TOTAL _*MORON*_ and no one who reads here should
| give any credence to your TOTALLY dumb/worthless
| recent posts

YOU are the one who posted this:

> my one day asessment is this:
>
> the T451 is slightly clunkier to use (aspect options
> and having to 3 layer sub menu down to showing
> antenna signal strength)

And I posted a followup that says that bad menu systems tend to be the
general trend in consumer electronics. And you follow with a personal
attacks?

Either you agree with me or don't. But you didn't choose to say.
Instead, you choose to make a personal attack. How does that
contribute to anything?


| imho of course. :) 

Do you want to be labeled an idiot, too? Keep on making personal
attacks and you will make yourself look like as much of an idiot as
Jeff and Matt have done to themselves. WHy not just carry on civil
discussions about the topics this group has.

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Phil Howard KA9WGN | http://linuxhomepage.com/ http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/ http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:50:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 05:31:10 GMT K. B. <hotmail.com@lis2lis2> wrote:
| On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:04:24 -0500, willbill
| <trek@worldwide.net> posted:

|>LOL! the open question is: *when* will digital
|>TV tuner prices come down?
|
| Low ATSC STB cost depends on volume production to drive down
| the cost of ATSC 8VSB tuners and MPEG-2 HDTV video decoders.

Unfortunately, with the trend to separate STBs, getting volume in ATSC
8VSB tuners will be harder. Of course, it can be said that the
resultant volume _is_ what the market wants, and what the market gets.
If not that many people want OTA TV, not that many STBs will be sold.
Thus it is possible the prices simply may not come down for a long time
(or until at least past the analog cutoff date).

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Phil Howard KA9WGN | http://linuxhomepage.com/ http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/ http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 11:40:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:33:53 -0500 willbill <trek@worldwide.net> wrote:
>
> | imho of course. :) 
>
> Do you want to be labeled an idiot, too? Keep on making personal
> attacks and you will make yourself look like as much of an idiot as
> Jeff and Matt have done to themselves. WHy not just carry on civil
> discussions about the topics this group has.
>

Only a moron wouldn't notice a growing trend. If you stop and think
about it, virtually anyone who has tried to explain something to you on
these DTV groups has come to the same conclusion: You are a moron.

Matthew

--
Thermodynamics and/or Golf for dummies: There is a game
You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 4:52:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 07:40:54 -0400 Matthew L. Martin <nothere@notnow.never> wrote:
| phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
|> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:33:53 -0500 willbill <trek@worldwide.net> wrote:
|>
|> | imho of course. :) 
|>
|> Do you want to be labeled an idiot, too? Keep on making personal
|> attacks and you will make yourself look like as much of an idiot as
|> Jeff and Matt have done to themselves. WHy not just carry on civil
|> discussions about the topics this group has.
|>
|
| Only a moron wouldn't notice a growing trend. If you stop and think
| about it, virtually anyone who has tried to explain something to you on
| these DTV groups has come to the same conclusion: You are a moron.

There are two groups. Those that explain what they are explaining, and
those that can't explain what they are trying to explain, probably because
they don't really understand it, and instead cover up their inabilities
with personal attacks.

I notice most of your posts are devoid of actual relevant content.

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Phil Howard KA9WGN | http://linuxhomepage.com/ http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/ http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 4:52:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 07:40:54 -0400 Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> | phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:

> |> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:33:53 -0500 willbill <trek@worldwide.net> wrote:
> |>
> |> | imho of course. :) 
> |>
> |> Do you want to be labeled an idiot, too? Keep on making personal
> |> attacks and you will make yourself look like as much of an idiot as
> |> Jeff and Matt have done to themselves. WHy not just carry on civil
> |> discussions about the topics this group has.


you've yet to post anything useful here

which is why 4 or 5 of us are now calling
you a moron


> | Only a moron wouldn't notice a growing trend. If you stop and think
> | about it, virtually anyone who has tried to explain something to you on
> | these DTV groups has come to the same conclusion: You are a moron.
>
> There are two groups. Those that explain what they are explaining, and
> those that can't explain what they are trying to explain, probably because
> they don't really understand it, and instead cover up their inabilities
> with personal attacks.
>
> I notice most of your posts are devoid of actual relevant content.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


i can only note that all of your posts
here have no actual relevant content;
and that you insist on having the last word

kindly stop posting here

bill
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 4:58:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:06:12 -0700 Fred C. Dobbs <nus@tenretni.moc> wrote:

| Do You have or have you seen a motorola DCT6412 HDTV dual tuner dvr
| that some of the cable companies are using? Have you seen it work?
| It is a cable box that is basically a computer with a 120 gig hard
| drive. It is pretty slick. It has USB and Fire wire and HDMI. It
| interfaces with D-VHS recorders and Some have even interfaced it with
| PCs and MACs. It has bugs and issues as it is and I don't think
| Microsoft could improve it. It could only be worse. I do not want
| Microsoft in my Home Theater.

I haven't seen that one. I don't think Microsoft could improve anything
but their financial statement.


| I have a Sony Viao Digital Studio PC with hardware mpeg2 encoder
| /decoder and tv tuner. It is pre Microsoft Windows XP Media Center
| Edition 2005 and it works great with the Sony software and the
| various 3rd party applications. I have looked at the newer version of
| my PC with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 which
| integrates the functions the various sony and 3rd party software
| there fore that computer is missing those items. It takes 5 steps to
| do things that took only one step before and resulting in lesser
| quality than before. So Keep microsoft out of my TV.

Microsoft does have a way with ruining a good thing.


|>Digital trunking radios do have many advantages, especially in emergency
|>situations. Of course the trouble is that they are "managed" communications
|>(managed by the trunking computers in the repeaters). When the crisis also
|>takes out that capability, you simply lose those advantages. VHF/UHF hand
|>held radios, unfortunately, have only a limited range.
|
| Yes but they can still talk to each other and Some one with a
| generator as a transceiver could set up a command center.

They'd have to get a location way up high to get the same range as before
(based on a numebr of towers the previous system would likely have). In
many of the pictures I've seen from New Orleans, there are towers still
standing. If the towers for emergency communications are up, it might be
more of an issue of water in the equipment at the base of the tower.

Still, it would be foolish to not have figured out an emergency
communications plan, especially in a hurricaen prone location.

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Phil Howard KA9WGN | http://linuxhomepage.com/ http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/ http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 6:57:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:35:34 -0500 willbill <trek@worldwide.net> wrote:

| you've yet to post anything useful here

I guess you didn't read my first post in this thread.


| which is why 4 or 5 of us are now calling
| you a moron

No, it's that you post personal attacks before reading a posting.
And for all I know, you probably never will read it.


| i can only note that all of your posts
| here have no actual relevant content;
| and that you insist on having the last word
|
| kindly stop posting here

Every post that is a personal attack will be responded to.

You can disagree. That part of what discussion is about. But making
personal attacks, regardless of who they are aimed at, is totally off
base in this or any other news groups (unless someone comes up with
alt.personal.attacks).

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Phil Howard KA9WGN | http://linuxhomepage.com/ http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/ http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 5:07:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:35:34 -0500 willbill <trek@worldwide.net> wrote:
>
> | you've yet to post anything useful here
>
> I guess you didn't read my first post in this thread.
>
> | which is why 4 or 5 of us are now calling
> | you a moron
>
> No, it's that you post personal attacks before reading a posting.
> And for all I know, you probably never will read it.
>
>
> | i can only note that all of your posts
> | here have no actual relevant content;
> | and that you insist on having the last word
> |
> | kindly stop posting here
>
> Every post that is a personal attack will be responded to.
>
> You can disagree. That part of what discussion is about. But making
> personal attacks, regardless of who they are aimed at, is totally off
> base in this or any other news groups (unless someone comes up with
> alt.personal.attacks).


lessee... we could call you NRE/M?
(no recent experience/moron)

and maybe WHTLW
(will have the last word)

bill
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 2:48:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

In article <8htli1dfgq4fpv1huo8eb28r23ikp607sc@4ax.com>,
Fred C. Dobbs <nus@tenretni.moc> wrote:

> I am not sure I want Gates to build the software for my STB I have
> seen the "Blue screen of death " way too many times to have it
> repeated in High Definition on my 65 inch Mitsubishi. The driver

You don't need Bill Gates to have an STB that crashes.

Of the three ATSC receiver boxes I have (two Sylvania and I think a
Panasonic), all will eventually go nuts if left on 24/7, to the point
where they will need to be power cycled (the plug, not the on/off
button) every couple of weeks to return them to normal operation.
Sometimes it will take a long time to respond to the remote control,
sometimes MPEG decoding stops working correctly, sometimes they're just
locked up. I'm sure that a good part of this is heat-related
RAM/CPU/MPEG chip problems, but some of it is just a lack of robust,
fault-tolerant code.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 12:10:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:48:06 -0500, Bruce Tomlin
<bruce#fanboy.net@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>In article <8htli1dfgq4fpv1huo8eb28r23ikp607sc@4ax.com>,
> Fred C. Dobbs <nus@tenretni.moc> wrote:
>
>> I am not sure I want Gates to build the software for my STB I have
>> seen the "Blue screen of death " way too many times to have it
>> repeated in High Definition on my 65 inch Mitsubishi. The driver
>
>You don't need Bill Gates to have an STB that crashes.
>
>Of the three ATSC receiver boxes I have (two Sylvania and I think a
>Panasonic), all will eventually go nuts if left on 24/7, to the point
>where they will need to be power cycled (the plug, not the on/off
>button) every couple of weeks to return them to normal operation.
>Sometimes it will take a long time to respond to the remote control,
>sometimes MPEG decoding stops working correctly, sometimes they're just
>locked up. I'm sure that a good part of this is heat-related
>RAM/CPU/MPEG chip problems, but some of it is just a lack of robust,
>fault-tolerant code.

And you think Microsoft can improve that?
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 9:37:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

>>You don't need Bill Gates to have an STB that crashes.
>>
>>Of the three ATSC receiver boxes I have (two Sylvania and I think a
>>Panasonic), all will eventually go nuts if left on 24/7, to the point
>>where they will need to be power cycled (the plug, not the on/off
>>button) every couple of weeks to return them to normal operation.
>>Sometimes it will take a long time to respond to the remote control,
>>sometimes MPEG decoding stops working correctly, sometimes they're just
>>locked up. I'm sure that a good part of this is heat-related
>>RAM/CPU/MPEG chip problems, but some of it is just a lack of robust,
>>fault-tolerant code.
>
>And you think Microsoft can improve that?

Yes. The Microsoft STB can spread viruses, too. And it will need
to use IPv8 (IPv6 doesn't provide enough ports to leave open).

Gordon L. Burditt
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:09:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:07:24 -0500 willbill <trek@worldwide.net> wrote:
| phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
|
|> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:35:34 -0500 willbill <trek@worldwide.net> wrote:
|>
|> | you've yet to post anything useful here
|>
|> I guess you didn't read my first post in this thread.
|>
|> | which is why 4 or 5 of us are now calling
|> | you a moron
|>
|> No, it's that you post personal attacks before reading a posting.
|> And for all I know, you probably never will read it.
|>
|>
|> | i can only note that all of your posts
|> | here have no actual relevant content;
|> | and that you insist on having the last word
|> |
|> | kindly stop posting here
|>
|> Every post that is a personal attack will be responded to.
|>
|> You can disagree. That part of what discussion is about. But making
|> personal attacks, regardless of who they are aimed at, is totally off
|> base in this or any other news groups (unless someone comes up with
|> alt.personal.attacks).
|
|
| lessee... we could call you NRE/M?
| (no recent experience/moron)
|
| and maybe WHTLW
| (will have the last word)
|
| bill

I have one for you: MPAWRC

(makes personal attacks without reading content)

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Phil Howard KA9WGN | http://linuxhomepage.com/ http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/ http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:15:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:48:06 -0500 Bruce Tomlin <bruce#fanboy.net@127.0.0.1> wrote:
| In article <8htli1dfgq4fpv1huo8eb28r23ikp607sc@4ax.com>,
| Fred C. Dobbs <nus@tenretni.moc> wrote:
|
|> I am not sure I want Gates to build the software for my STB I have
|> seen the "Blue screen of death " way too many times to have it
|> repeated in High Definition on my 65 inch Mitsubishi. The driver
|
| You don't need Bill Gates to have an STB that crashes.
|
| Of the three ATSC receiver boxes I have (two Sylvania and I think a
| Panasonic), all will eventually go nuts if left on 24/7, to the point
| where they will need to be power cycled (the plug, not the on/off
| button) every couple of weeks to return them to normal operation.
| Sometimes it will take a long time to respond to the remote control,
| sometimes MPEG decoding stops working correctly, sometimes they're just
| locked up. I'm sure that a good part of this is heat-related
| RAM/CPU/MPEG chip problems, but some of it is just a lack of robust,
| fault-tolerant code.

The lack of robust, fault-tolerant code, is usually the result of
management deadline pressures to get the product out the door ASAP.
Good code takes time that can't be made up for with "rapid development"
programming tools (which can provide the programmer with lots of already
completed stuff, but can't think for them). They take an entirely
different approach than programming a Mars lander.

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Phil Howard KA9WGN | http://linuxhomepage.com/ http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/ http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
!