Build with Lian Li PC-7B Case

kman7607

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Hello all,

I am in the process of planning the build of my first computer. I am an engineering student and am going to need this machine to run CAD/Solidworks. I also play some games like StarCraft and other RTS. I am a computer gamer but am by no means a "Hardcore" gamer. I have read reviews and believe that I have come to a conclusion on certain components of the build. I know for a fact that I want to use the PC-7B due to its looks and quality. I welcome any suggestions for the case but I am pretty sure that I want to use this one. The build is planned as follows with "?" next to the parts I have not decided on yet. I would like to keep the cost around $700 to $900.

Case:
Lian Li PC-7B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112099

PSU:
Corsair 750 TX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

CPU:
Intel Q6600

GFX Card:
HD 4850 or 4870-I am really not sure here- Probably the HD 4850 because it is cheaper

RAM: ?
A good brand name I guess...I havent really given it much thought. I plan to OC eventually, would that effect the RAM timing I choose?
I plan on 4GB to start and an upgrade to 8GB sometime soon.

HD: ?
500 GB Seagate or WD.....Any opinions on the differences btw these brands?
I eventually want to add more HD space but I figured 500GB is a good starting place.

CD Drive:
?

MOBO: ??????
I need some serious help here. I am have absolutely no idea what would be a good mobo. I do plan to OC eventually but nothing too radical. Probably take the q6600 to 3.0 ghz and leave it at that.

Edit: Are their any obvious places where I can save some money? I know the case is a little expensive but I have only heard good things about Lian Li. What would be some alternatives of similar style and quality to the Lian Li?

Thanks in advance

DanielCD

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Corsair is pretty solid when it comes to RAM or so I've heard. You can save $20 by downgrading to the 650W version of that corsair PSU if you don't plan on doing SLI/CrossFire also. For the CD/DVD drive I don't think it matters to much as long as you don't abuse it. You can get a decent DVD drive from samsung for $25