Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help, I want to add a second hard drive and second OS

Last response: in Storage
May 10, 2010 2:53:08 PM

Hey all!

So here's whats up. I am currently running a 320GB WD Blue caviar HDD with Windows 7 32-bit.

I recently acquired a 750GB WD Caviar Black HDD and a copy of Win 7 64-bit.

I have soo many files, games, programs, non-transferable gaming profiles etc on the 320GB as I have used it for like 4 years.

My thought was to just add the new HDD with win 7-64 and start using that one for everything from now on, but should i want to play any of my current games or whatever I could just start the PC with my 320GB old HDD.

Does this make any sense?

basically I am wondering how I can have two separate hard drives running two separate OS running in my computer at the same time.

1.) Is this possible?
2.) Is there a way to swap between OS's on the fly or would I have to restart each time I want to go back and forth?
3.) How do I do this?

I have been reading through the forums for hours and not finding anything. Everything is about RAID set-ups and that isn't what I am trying to do.

Thanks for any and all help, now that school is over I'm hoping to finally do this this week. (I've had the new HDD for like 2 months...)

Thanks!
xRome

More about : add hard drive

May 10, 2010 4:47:50 PM

Hmm, no one knows how this would work out?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 11, 2010 3:29:35 AM

1 google dual boot / multi boot
2 reboot will be manditory
IMHO you should just start over, if you've been upgrading that old drive for years then a clean install will speed you up anyway. It'll be less effort in the long run to just do it right now instead of trying to get around it.
m
l
Related resources
May 11, 2010 2:48:03 PM

505090 said:
1 google dual boot / multi boot
2 reboot will be manditory
IMHO you should just start over, if you've been upgrading that old drive for years then a clean install will speed you up anyway. It'll be less effort in the long run to just do it right now instead of trying to get around it.

Well, for example, I still play MW1 frequently, and that game's profile cannot be successfully transferred to a new system according to google searches. I'm not interested in starting over either.

At some point when I do not play the games I have on the 1st HDD anymore, I will find something to do with it, probably use it in another build. But for now I want to access to it from my one and only computer.

I found a guide on how to do it after googling dual boot, thanks!

Also, If I am running two harddrives, I assume the one already running will stay my "C" drive. But isn't "C" drive the default for like everything, or is it the default only because the OS I running is on my C Drive?

Meaning, if I put the 2nd HDD in and install windows 7 64-bit onto it, I assume it would become the "E" drive? When i am runing the OS from that "E" drive, will the "E" drive become the default drive for anything I save while using the 2nd OS?

LASTLY, is it possible to completely clone my entire 1st HDD (with win 7-32) onto a partition of my 2nd HDD, and then dual boot win 7-64 onto the remaining portion of the 2nd HDD. That would free up the 1st HDD to be used in a different build.

Thanks for your help!
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
May 11, 2010 2:59:34 PM

try transferring this folder between installs and you should have your current game
C:\Users\YOUR PROFILE\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players

i have never dual booted before but I believe it will set the default save/install path to the drive the os is on, if not there is always the option to select where you install/save to select where you want it to go manually

yes look up cloning or disk imaging software
May 11, 2010 6:40:05 PM

thanks for your quick suggestions, that folder is there that you suggested, but when i looked up transfering it people reported that your saved games transfer but your multiplayer profuile does not (which is the thing I actually care about)

Can't hurt to try thouhg I suppose when I get the other HDD up and running. If it does successfully transfer over, maybe I will try to get everything I want over onto the new one.

If the new HDD comes in as disk "E", and then I remove my 1st HDD, can I rename the 2nd HDD back to "C" drive?

Thanks 505090
m
l
a b G Storage
May 11, 2010 6:55:53 PM

when you remove the old one the new one will rename its self to C:\

try some gamer forums I'm sure there is a way to move it over, not much of a gamer myself so I'm not sure how offhand. It's got to be saved somewhere on your computer, if nothing else modify the profile (noting the exact time) then search your computer for files modified at that time
m
l
May 14, 2010 1:23:17 PM

Best answer selected by xrome.
m
l
!