Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 stuck @ 9*320

Last response: in Overclocking
April 9, 2010 8:43:53 AM

Hi,

Next month I'm getting myself a new HD5850 GPU, but since I'm concerned that my current Q6600 CPU @ stock speed will become a bottleneck for this card, I thought of overclocking it (aiming for 3.2GHz).

But for the moment I can't get the fsb any higher than 320. The problem is most likely related to my motherboard and/or my memory since most people can easily reach 3000MHz with this cpu.
I already relaxed my memory timings to 6-6-6-18 and the ratio is set to 1:1 (so it is still running well below the rated 800MHz). Also tried to increase the voltages (cpu, nb, sb, ...) but this didn't help either.

So, currently I'm running the following system:
Q6600 @ 2880MHz (9*320)
arctic freezer 7 pro cooler
MSI P965 platinum
2x1GB + 2X512MB DDR2-800 @ 640MHz (6-6-6-18)
8800GT 512MB
Corsair 650W PSU

Does anyone have any ideas what I could try next, or is this the best I can get from this system?

At the moment I'm thinking of replacing the motherboard and/or memory with some higher grade material (probably a P35 or P45 chipset like the Gigabyte P35/P45 series with a bit more high-end memory). But I'm concerned that this will not help me a lot.
So I'm in doubt whether I should do this small upgrade hoping to get a better overclock or do a complete (but way more expensive) upgrade to a Phenom II X4 955 system (an i5/i7 system would even be better, but totally out of budget at the moment).

Any thoughts?

More about : q6600 stuck 320

April 9, 2010 11:04:47 AM

Few things you can try.

- Remove the two smaller RAM sticks, leaving you with 2gb total. Sometimes just having 2 modules helps.

- How much did you increase voltages? try a little more, just to see. Stay within 'safe' margins. Avoid going over 1.5v on the cpu with just an air cooler.

- Try a 8x multiplier, you'll still reach 3.2ghz before you start OC the RAM, assuming it works.

- If none of the above helps, update the BIOS to the latest. Or at least dubbed the best OCing version. Then repeat the above steps again. If you do achieve good results, try putting your ram back in, etc.
April 9, 2010 1:44:11 PM

I had a horrible experience OC-ing my Q6600 because of my crappy mobo (Asus P5N-D). I would go into my BIOS, change a few settings, save and exit, and when I'd start it bck up, the settings remained in my BIOS but nothing actually changed when I booted into windows. I managed a meager OC of 2.7Ghz to start.

Then I flashed my BIOS to the newest version, and voila, everything started working! So thats my first advice...

Also, my mobo had a TERRIBLE Vdroop! (I would set my Vcore at 1.425V in the BIOS but CPU-Z would only report 1.31V in windows. This held me bck a lot from OC-ing. Then I did the pencil mod on my board - involves coloring a few resistors with lead (high quality 6B lead) so that electricity can by-pass the resistor and cut down your Vdroop - Maybe look around on the net to see if your board could benefit from such a simple mod.

Also, what is your VID?? (default voltage --> the lower your VID the more headroom you have to increase your voltages and thus OC) I got really lucky with my Q6600 b/c my VID is only 1.215V...I've read that some unlucky ppl have Q6600's with 1.31V VID's. You can check your VID in CoreTemp...

Post up your BIOS settings so we can see

My OC settings for running @ 3.4Ghz are:
Vcore: 1.296V (usually ppl will run at 1.35V as displayed by CPU-Zwhen OC-ing to 3.3Ghz )
FSB: 378 (9x)
VRAM: 1.85V (pretty crappy ram 5-5-5-31)
HT/VTT: 1.32V
NB: 1.46V
SB: 1.58V

Also, what are your temps??
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 18, 2010 11:14:19 AM

baracubra said:

Also, what is your VID?? (default voltage --> the lower your VID the more headroom you have to increase your voltages and thus OC) I got really lucky with my Q6600 b/c my VID is only 1.215V...I've read that some unlucky ppl have Q6600's with 1.31V VID's. You can check your VID in CoreTemp...

Won the CPU lottery, did you? :o 
!