Sign in with
Your question

I7 939 overclocking help!

Last response: in Overclocking
April 9, 2010 4:17:54 PM

Hey everyone.

I've never overclocked before, and I know there are guides abound so I wont be asking too much. My main question after looking around is, why is batch number so important? My 930 is batch #3952A521.. I've seen so many people obsessed over batches, I'm not exactly sure what it means.

My 2nd question is, does the 930 OC the same as a 920? Meaning, will an i7 920 OC guide be relevant or is there a specific 930 guide?

3rd question, a little off topic - what cooler would you guys recommend? So far it seems I should pick between Ven X, Megahalems, or NH-D14 (I'm shooting for 3.8MHz).

Thanks!

More about : 939 overclocking

a c 295 K Overclocking
April 9, 2010 9:11:51 PM

Hi.

U can use the 920 guide for OC your CPU without problems, just bear in mind that you 930 is 2.8GHz, and could be more easy get the 3.8GHz that you want.

All that are very good coolers, but my votes goes in this order.

1- NH-D14
2- Megahalems
3- Venomous X
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2010 12:19:59 AM

soulicro said:
I've never overclocked before, and I know there are guides abound so I wont be asking too much. My main question after looking around is, why is batch number so important? My 930 is batch #3952A521.. I've seen so many people obsessed over batches, I'm not exactly sure what it means.

The other 2 questions have been handled by Saint, so, to answer your first question:
The batch #'s are a slight indication as to the OCing ability of your chip, mainly for extreme over clocking purposes. Where something like this would come in handy would be for something like the 920 series that has been out for quite a while and have seen a few revisions, hence you can stock pile lots of information and this may come into use for LN2 runs or other such extreme endeavours . Your 930 at 3.8-4.0 Ghz OC will be an easy target to reach and batch #'s would not be of any concern.
Related resources
a b å Intel
a c 163 K Overclocking
April 10, 2010 12:31:39 AM

1. Some batches OC better than others ..... this was more true in the 1st months after the 920's release but things seem to be more even the days.

2. Here's the best OC guide I have found for the 920

The only thing that's different is that the 920's "stock" CPU multiplier is 20 and the 930 is 21

Alas I see the guide has been re-edited to list the 930 instead of the 920 so you're all set

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2008122019104023...

3. The Noctua slightly outperforms the Mega in the one review I read but the Noc's 3+ pound weight scared me off ..... it's also more difficult to install than the Mega and peeps have had Fan control issues. here's my current HSF buid list:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8807/cpu-pro-01/Proli...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7038/thr-41/Innovatio...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10026/fan-639/Scythe_...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8418/cab-150/FrozenCP...

April 10, 2010 1:31:18 AM

I have a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and have my 920 running at 4.0 easily. Never gets above 58 in normal use, and maxed at 68 on a 24 hour prime 95 test.

I don't know if they still make it, but I love mine.
April 10, 2010 1:39:31 AM

BTW, water cooling is absolutely not needed for 3.8 Ghz. I reached 3.8 on my 920 without even messing with voltage. It's a waste of money to water cool a 930 at 3.8.
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2010 2:12:06 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
the Noc's 3+ pound weight scared me off .....

It's not 3+ pounds, it's ONLY 2.73 pounds :o 
April 10, 2010 9:27:27 AM

Is the weight that serious of an issue?
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2010 9:47:43 AM

RJR said:
It's not 3+ pounds, it's ONLY 2.73 pounds :o 

That's one of the reasons I like the Rosewill FORT120. The primary reason I like it is that it allows me quick access to RAM. But that's just why I like narrow tower coolers...the FORT120 just happens to be the most powerful narrow tower cooler I've owned, and all of them are light :) 

I should mention that I regularly push an old, early C0 stepping 920 to 4.2 GHz using it, stable at eight threads of Prime95 and 1.45V!!! It can also push the 930 to around 4.40 GHz at lower voltage, but only if you're not afraid to dance with thermal limits...
April 10, 2010 11:38:11 AM

Crashman said:
That's one of the reasons I like the Rosewill FORT120. The primary reason I like it is that it allows me quick access to RAM. But that's just why I like narrow tower coolers...the FORT120 just happens to be the most powerful narrow tower cooler I've owned, and all of them are light :) 

I should mention that I regularly push an old, early C0 stepping 920 to 4.2 GHz using it, stable at eight threads of Prime95 and 1.45V!!! It can also push the 930 to around 4.40 GHz at lower voltage, but only if you're not afraid to dance with thermal limits...

At what temp?
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2010 1:02:10 PM

soulicro said:
Is the weight that serious of an issue?

I know a heck of a lot of people who have mounted the D14 (like on the other forum you have posted this) and I haven't had one come back and said the weight was an issue. The larger size and memory slot access as referred to by Crashman will of course have to taken into consideration but it's still nothing that can't be dealt with.
April 10, 2010 1:20:40 PM

RJR said:
I know a heck of a lot of people who have mounted the D14 (like on the other forum you have posted this) and I haven't had one come back and said the weight was an issue. The larger size and memory slot access as referred to by Crashman will of course have to taken into consideration but it's still nothing that can't be dealt with.

Busted :lol: 

Good to know. I see nothing to hold me back, then? NH-D14 it is!

Thanks everyone!
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2010 1:47:59 PM

soulicro said:
Busted :lol: 

Good to know. I see nothing to hold me back, then? NH-D14 it is!

Thanks everyone!

Hahaha, yeah I spend a lot of time on that other forum as well, really good guys over there as well as here. I figured I didn't need to reply on both.

Enjoy the cooler and the increased OCing ability you'll get from it.
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2010 7:26:38 AM

soulicro said:
God. Dammit.

I thought I had this selection down, and then I looked at the following link:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

The test is showing the Noctua way lower then it supposedly should be. What gives?

Lower? It has a 42mm base height, so you do have to be very selective with RAM:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2...

Or did you mean lower performance? I only trust my own numbers, which are taken using the same thermal paste for consistency:

Notice a few things: First, a super-hot overclock was used, which helps spread the numbers out more. It's almost impossible to get any realistic data from the low heat levels those other guys are reaching.

Second, the Mugen-2 Revision B appears to use a far slower fan than the Mugen-2 in the other guy's review.

Third, note that when all coolers are equipped with the same 2500 RPM single fan, the Thermalright MUX-120 is only 1° off from the NH-D14. Of course, the NH-D14 is really designed for two fans, so that result might not matter to you.
April 11, 2010 9:23:05 AM

Crashman said:
Lower? It has a 42mm base height, so you do have to be very selective with RAM:

I meant performance, but thanks for the accurate height measurement!
Crashman said:
Or did you mean lower performance? I only trust my own numbers, which are taken using the same thermal paste for consistency:

Great review =]
However I noticed that it was tested on the 1156 socket... would the performance differ if using on a 1366?
Crashman said:
Notice a few things: First, a super-hot overclock was used, which helps spread the numbers out more. It's almost impossible to get any realistic data from the low heat levels those other guys are reaching.

I probably wont be reaching a super-hot overclock, the maximum I'd like to reach is a 3.8... I'm guessing the voltages will be appropriately much lower, no?
Crashman said:
Second, the Mugen-2 Revision B appears to use a far slower fan than the Mugen-2 in the other guy's review.

I'm guessing the advantage to that, regarding your test, is that its showing what kind of performance I'll be getting without having a jet take off in my room. Am I right?
Crashman said:
Third, note that when all coolers are equipped with the same 2500 RPM single fan, the Thermalright MUX-120 is only 1° off from the NH-D14. Of course, the NH-D14 is really designed for two fans, so that result might not matter to you.

Yeah, I'm trying to refrain from having to replace anything and just use the cooler straight out of the box. I've also read a lot of reviews/posts that give plenty of praise for the Noctua fans that come stock? Or am I confusing different fans?
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2010 9:50:32 AM

soulicro said:
I meant performance, but thanks for the accurate height measurement!

Great review =]
However I noticed that it was tested on the 1156 socket... would the performance differ if using on a 1366?

I probably wont be reaching a super-hot overclock, the maximum I'd like to reach is a 3.8... I'm guessing the voltages will be appropriately much lower, no?

I'm guessing the advantage to that, regarding your test, is that its showing what kind of performance I'll be getting without having a jet take off in my room. Am I right?

Yeah, I'm trying to refrain from having to replace anything and just use the cooler straight out of the box. I've also read a lot of reviews/posts that give plenty of praise for the Noctua fans that come stock? Or am I confusing different fans?

You've gotten everything right. Cooling-wise, the performance is related more to the processor's heat output than it is to the processor model being used.
!