Is it just hype or is there a difference

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I was curious if there is a difference between a Sound Card that uses PCI or PCI-E. I heard that the PCI cards were getting fazed out and on the other side, I heard that there is a noticable difference between PCI and PCIE cards. With my new build I was going to go to a XFI Fatality card (Titanium). I'm also checking out the Sonar and Azertech cards but I am not going to ask about those because of another post that hits that subject. ( I'm keeping an eye on it though).

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The difference between PCI and PCIe with sound cards is nonexistent. The only advantage to a PCIe card is that it should work on all future motherboards. That said I'm a huge fan of the Xonar cards and highly recommend them, though the PCIe thing means nothing.

Keep in mind that has nothing to do with the OP's question. Plus, whether that product gives you the best sound or not, entirely depends on the speaker system the OP is going to be attaching to his system.

Frankly I use the onboard sound on my 680i chipset. With my old Creative Labs speakers I simply cannot hear the difference between that and the old PCI Audigy 2 sound card I used to use.

Not to mention my hearing isn't perfect anymore anyhow. ;)

mikeny: I'd say go for the PCI-e sound card, simply because you'll have a better likelihood of being able to re-use that sound card in the future as you upgrade CPU/Mobo's. That would be my inclination anyhow.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Ok thnx. Im looking at Xonar and SB XFI Fatality. I am going to see what I can get for digital speakers (and not bust the bank). I was looking at non-digital speakers---- Logitech x540 5.1 speakers. I like the Z5500's but for $300?? Id rather use that money for my CPU-Mobo-RAM-Video Card (Either Nvidia 295 or 4870 or 4850x2)