Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SLI motherboards??

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 2, 2009 10:41:17 PM

Hey all
I'm upgrading my system, finally decided on the Phenom 2 940 BE and was gonna grab a gig MA790x-UD4P. Only problem is I already own an 8800gtx and I was hoping to SLI sometime in the near future. Now it seems i need to buy a mobo with nvidia chipset to facilitate this... Turns out 90% of the mobos out there are crossfire compatible because nvidia is s**t... Can someone recommend a nvidia mobo to buy? Or tell me if the nvidia chipsets really are that bad and that i just shouldn't bother... And if so recommend a mobo without crossfire because i guess there's not much point paying for the extra pcie slot....
Cheers

More about : sli motherboards

April 3, 2009 1:23:15 AM

Well, problem one you will face is availability of 8800GTX. Unless you have a friend waiting to sell you his, your gonna have to hunt on eBay to get one.
April 3, 2009 6:29:23 AM

Sell your 8800 and buy a GTX285.
Related resources
April 4, 2009 3:48:40 AM

Quote:
Hows that gonna help when the motherboard is Crossfire??


So what? Crossfire doesn't matter for a single card.
April 4, 2009 11:19:59 AM

theAnimal said:
So what? Crossfire doesn't matter for a single card.


I think the main contention here is that you're a moron. Thanks for the advice, bud...
April 4, 2009 4:40:48 PM

hosolof said:
I think the main contention here is that you're a moron. Thanks for the advice, bud...


Nevermind. You're not worth the time.
April 5, 2009 2:40:54 AM

680i and up... or anything ASUS that has SLI.
April 5, 2009 9:38:47 AM

theAnimal said:
Nevermind. You're not worth the time.


Once again... You're a moron
April 5, 2009 9:41:36 AM

Quote:
Sell the 8800 and get a HD4890, its just as fast as the GTX285 but $100 cheaper.
You can still get about $100 for the 8800 on ebay, do a 7 day auction and start it at $69 w/free shipping.


Cheers, I think that might be an idea... do ATI cards actually run better with AMD chips??? And what are the 4870's comparable to in terms of performance?
April 5, 2009 2:31:41 PM

hosolof said:
Cheers, I think that might be an idea... do ATI cards actually run better with AMD chips??? And what are the 4870's comparable to in terms of performance?


LOL! I don't think you're qualified to call anyone a moron, unless you're looking in a mirror.
April 6, 2009 12:09:12 AM

theAnimal said:
LOL! I don't think you're qualified to call anyone a moron, unless you're looking in a mirror.


Can you please stop posting? Your aura of stupidity is radiating out, causing rampant idiocy... I'm actually looking for advice, not inane drool
April 6, 2009 2:45:33 AM

hosolof said:
Can you please stop posting? Your aura of stupidity is radiating out, causing rampant idiocy... I'm actually looking for advice, not inane drool


Perhaps you're unaware of how the internet works, but you'll usually find that you will receive more help if you're not being a complete jackass.
April 6, 2009 4:05:22 AM

theAnimal said:
Perhaps you're unaware of how the internet works, but you'll usually find that you will receive more help if you're not being a complete jackass.


Because you're clearly unable to help me, or yourself for that matter, I'm choosing to call you an idiot... I appreciate valid advice, and hence, anything you say is immediately null and void. My initial question pertained to whether or not it is worth getting a nvidia chipset, and if not, could someone recommend a mobo without crossfire since I won't be needing it in the near future. It seems to me that your advice of "sell your 8800 and get a gtx285" is somewhat redundant as I didn't state that I was in the market for another overpriced nvidia card... Clearly that fact that 90% of mobo's are crossfire would indicate to your shrivelled brain that it would be far more advantageous to buy an ATI card, this has somehow managed to escape you. I hope I've helped you to understand why I have taken a hostile stance toward you and why your advice is stupid and worthless...
April 6, 2009 4:36:43 AM

hosolof said:
Because you're clearly unable to help me, or yourself for that matter, I'm choosing to call you an idiot... I appreciate valid advice, and hence, anything you say is immediately null and void. My initial question pertained to whether or not it is worth getting a nvidia chipset, and if not, could someone recommend a mobo without crossfire since I won't be needing it in the near future. It seems to me that your advice of "sell your 8800 and get a gtx285" is somewhat redundant as I didn't state that I was in the market for another overpriced nvidia card... Clearly that fact that 90% of mobo's are crossfire would indicate to your shrivelled brain that it would be far more advantageous to buy an ATI card, this has somehow managed to escape you. I hope I've helped you to understand why I have taken a hostile stance toward you and why your advice is stupid and worthless...


You were willing to buy a second video card (and probably a new PSU), which would cost about as much as my earlier suggestion.

I don't plan on future SLI or Crossfire upgrades; they almost never happen because there will be faster cards by that time. I just recommend the best single card solution, ATI or Nvidia.

As to your other questions: get a 790GX mobo from ASUS or Gigabyte (CF or non-CF doesn't really matter), any video card will work well with AMD chipset, and GTX260 is equivalent to HD4870.
April 6, 2009 5:50:34 AM

theAnimal said:
You were willing to buy a second video card (and probably a new PSU), which would cost about as much as my earlier suggestion.

I don't plan on future SLI or Crossfire upgrades; they almost never happen because there will be faster cards by that time. I just recommend the best single card solution, ATI or Nvidia.

As to your other questions: get a 790GX mobo from ASUS or Gigabyte (CF or non-CF doesn't really matter), any video card will work well with AMD chipset, and GTX260 is equivalent to HD4870.


Hey, thanks... See even if I am a jackass people help me
April 6, 2009 6:13:44 AM

theAnimal said:
get a 790GX mobo from ASUS or Gigabyte


Could anyone recommend a gig MA790GP-UD4H or DS4H? Is there any real difference?
April 7, 2009 4:27:39 AM

hosolof said:
Hey, thanks... See even if I am a jackass people help me


Lol, i think he was trying to prove a point
April 7, 2009 1:20:11 PM

david8115 said:
Lol, i think he was trying to prove a point


wow thanks for that...
!