Sign in with
Your question

New AM3 Motherboards Asus/Gigabyte

Last response: in Motherboards
April 3, 2009 3:05:29 AM

I have a future build coming up and I would like you advice on deciding my motherboard. I have decided that it will be a AM3 platform equipped with an Amd Phenom II x3 720 BE and OCZ Reaper 4gb 1333mhz DDR3 RAM. I have gotten down to three different motherboards. They are the:
Asus M4A78-E Am3 Motherboard
Gigabyte MA-790XT-UD4P
Msi 790GX-G65 AM3 Motherboard

I will be using this build for gaming, schoolwork, and minor video editing. I will be overclocking but not a heavy overclock, and the built in video card will never be used. It will be in an Antec Threehundred Case so it will have good ventilation but I am not adding any additional case fans (one 120mm and 140mm comes with it). I will be adding a wireless LAN card in case that affects anything, and I do not plan on using Crossfire at all. I am looking in overall performance and something that could last me three or four years easily.
Please tell me which motherboard you think is the best for my needs. If there is an AM3 Motherboard that is the same or a lower price on NewEgg that you think will better suit me then please shoe me.
TIA
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2009 3:31:52 AM

well, i think with good brands like those its a matter of preference

i myself will be using that same ASUS board in the computer im ordering from newegg tomorrow

anyone else?
April 3, 2009 10:47:29 PM

I am gonna get the Gigabyte or Asus one unless someone can get me a good reason for me to get the MSI board.
Will the Gigabyte board's northbridge stay cooler because it does not have integrated graphics??
Related resources
April 4, 2009 4:13:10 AM

17rawr said:
Will the Gigabyte board's northbridge stay cooler because it does not have integrated graphics??

I don't think it makes a difference if you're not using the integrated graphics.
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2009 12:35:15 PM

Personally, I prefer Gigabyte. MSI would be my last choice.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2009 5:28:45 PM

The manufacturers are fine but you need to make sure and purchase the FX board from which ever one you choose. I am building a similar setup and will be going with the Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P board. Count them - 10 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors.
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2009 5:43:04 PM

The Gigabyte 790 boards will sometimes unlock the 4th core on the X3 720BE.
The ASUS does not.

In Bios, Unlock the 4th core by setting the ACC feature to Auto.
Not 100% guarentee.
April 11, 2009 3:10:16 AM

Quote:
The manufacturers are fine but you need to make sure and purchase the FX board from which ever one you choose. I am building a similar setup and will be going with the Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P board. Count them - 10 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors.

Thanks for the offer and if that was in my price I would get it. Also who is gonna use 10 SATA 3.0 Ports??
!