Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What drive should I choose?

Last response: in Storage
May 10, 2010 10:14:28 PM

I’m in the market for an SSD boot drive + application + game storage. My budget is about $500. I am looking to maximize drive size with hopefully at least 200Gb of space. It’s clear that whatever I choose will likely be an array of 2 or more drives since the 256Gb SSDs are over budget. I also want the array – whatever it turns out to be – to meet or exceed the performance of the best single 160-256Gb SSDs on the market. Is this possible? If yes, what drives should I choose?

This question isn't technical. I'm just looking for advice from people with experience.

More about : drive choose

a b G Storage
May 11, 2010 8:44:28 PM

Quote:
I personally like the intel ssd's.
Be careful with RAID 0 and your important data.
If one drive dies you loose all of your data and I have seen solid state drives kick the bucket before.

I would store your data on a pair of seagate hard-drives mirrored with a highpoint mirror card and put the OS on a SSD drive since your goal is performance.

http://cfcecorp.com

http://blog.cfcecorp.com

You have valid points and a good suggestion but it does not answers the real query here which is to set up an array faster than the single fastest SSD available out there..
Related resources

Best solution

a c 98 G Storage
May 11, 2010 9:15:09 PM

I beleive what you are thinking of is called "drive scaling."

I read an article (online) that had 4 HDD in a RAID 0 array, and it was faster than an SSD. But they knew what to do, and I don't remember the name,type,size,gen of the SSD. I do know they had 4 small, fast HDD.

Why would you want such a large size SSD? 80GB should be good, for an OS, and Program Files drive. Now, if you have A LOT of Games, maybe more?

The trend these days is to get a SSD for just OS and Program Files (Office, etc.), and put all your "data & media" on a second HDD. The more use write to a SSD, the more "damaged" it becomes, but this is a whole other forum.

1-Intel X25-M 80GB is well enough. 2-in RAID 0 will rock! I have 2-Intel X25-V 40GB in RAID 0, and after much communication within THG, I happy with my set up. I do loose some special features of SSD (TRIM), but there is a whole other post for that.

Anyway RAID 0 is the "fastest" array. But tread lightly, if you don't know about RAID arrays. Do some research. Lots is in here!

BTW: Most modern motherboards support RAID. A hardware RAID within the board is (usually) better than a software RAID. Else, there are add-on cards (PCIe) that support RAID. Even SATA III, 6.0Gbps. Yet a whole other post.
August 4, 2010 2:27:27 PM

Best answer selected by tom thumb.
!