Extreme Futureproof-On a budget

bilboe

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I am thinking about spending a maximum of 550$ on a new pc. I want this to last me at least 5 years. I would like it to be extremely expandable, and capable of being upgraded.

First, I am unsure if I would be better off buying, or building, if buying, what manufacturer should I go with?

Second, If I build do you have any part recommendations?

Thank you ahead of time.

-Bilboe

slomo4sho

Distinguished
First off, at a budget of $550, your better off building if you plan on gaming. Secondly, no PC will realistically last 5 years without at least some upgrades if you plan on gaming.

So is this going to be a gaming build?

bilboe

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I am happy to upgrade, in fact, I want to upgrade down the road. I do not believe I will be using this a gaming machine.

Thank you!

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
You need to wake up from your dream, a good 775 system will cost $700(+-), and will be good for 3+ years. An I7 system will cost $1500+, and maybe a problem with being new technology... As an Intel user, a P45 based motherboard, an E8400-8500 CPU, with memory and a GPU of your choice/price will get you down the road for a while...and if you're REALLY not gaming, look for on board video, you might be able to pull it close to $500.

I've had no problems with my compaq pc. You can get whatever configuration you can afford. I recommend a dual core Intel or amd with 2-3 gigs of ddr2, or 3-4 gigs for vista 64 systems. I was able to changout the power supply easily for a video upgrade, and the motherboard for 4 memory slots. I like the card readers, which I haven't seen on dell systems. Mine was only $199 at Fry's anniversary sale. I you want a core i7, save some more. Dell has had some for around $800, or $1000 with monitor.