Zalman 9500a am3 question

Neccta

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I just installed my new Zalman 9500a on my am3 socket. The problem that I have is that the fan must be facing up/down for the clip to attach, and not sideways to allow maximum air flow. And now I can't install my memory cooling because it is blocking the memory. Is there another way to install it on am3 to change the way its facing?

Solution

Pardon me asking, but is this the retention clip you're referring to?
zalmanCNPS9500am2_am2.jpg

I haven't worked with the AM2 retention mechanism before, but the LGA775 mounting clip is able to slip between the heatpipes to allow for a horizontal mounting configuration. Seeing that the AM2 bracket looks very similar, I wouldn't be surprised if you...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You should have looked into that before picking a cooler that doesn't fit the way you want it to! Tom's Hardware recently did an LGA-1156 cooler comparison that actually TELLS YOU which way the cooler will fit when installed on AMD sockets. Now that you've bought something that doesn't fit the right way, you're probably stuck.

Mega_Noggin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

Pardon me asking, but is this the retention clip you're referring to?
zalmanCNPS9500am2_am2.jpg

I haven't worked with the AM2 retention mechanism before, but the LGA775 mounting clip is able to slip between the heatpipes to allow for a horizontal mounting configuration. Seeing that the AM2 bracket looks very similar, I wouldn't be surprised if you can also slip the clip across the heatpipes to allow for a horizontal mount.

I took a picture about of my 9500A to illustrate what I'm talking about. Pardon the poor picture quality.

Solution

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Mega_Noggin pointed out that the clip is offset to allow installation between the heatpipes! Does yours use this new-style clip?

I have a similar Zalman cooler that's a bit older and doesn't have the modified clip :(

Neccta

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

Yes I do have the new-style clip but I'm where would I clip it on to if I do install it between the heatpipes. (Also don't forget I'm using AM3.)

G

Has anyone figured out a definite answer? I'd be kinda bummed if the 9500A I just ordered can't be mounted horizontally.