[Help a newbie] Any step by step PC building guide?

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Trying to build a computer for the first time, just wondering if there is some good step by step assembling guide out there?

It would be really helpful to me. I tried to search the forum, but didn't have any luck on that.

Thanks in advance!

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
yeah I did see one on overclockerclubs forum, but I think its very long, and belive it or not the moberboared hand book will tell you so there is no need to look for that quide

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Thanks, I will check it out!
And what if my MoBo is OEM version and doesn't come with a manual. I still want somehting that I can rely on.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Like AMG said, the motherboard manual explains all the tough bits. Everything else comes with some sort of instruction kit, etc, otherwise is self explanatory.

Everything is pretty straight forward. Some tips couldn't hurt though.

Ground Yourself - Static is bad, very bad. Preferably use a static mat. Otherwise make sure you discharge any built up static before you touch any components. Make sure to do so frequently, as static can build up with minimal effort.

Motherboard Standoffs - Those little metal things that you must screw into the case before mounting the motherboard. They separate the case and motherboard so they don't short out. AKA don't forget them :)

Heatsink - If you have a large heatsink, or one with a backplate, don't forget to put it on before mounting the motherboard into the case. Also don't forget the thermal paste.

Start Small - Don't put all your ram, or more then one graphics card in first boot up. To minimalize the chance at a boot error just use one ram stick, one graphics card or integrated graphics if it's there. Also only put in one disc drive/hard drive. Then if everything checks out add the remaining hardware.

Don't Rush - Make sure you follow all the instruction booklets/manuals you gt with your stuff. Take it slow, and make sure everything is connected properly. Also before you attempt to power up the first time, make sure to flick the PSU into the on position :) May save you a few moments of wtf.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

The manufacturers website usually has a downloadable manual. If you have any troubles feel free to make a post, or PM me.

Does the mobo have all the cables with it? OEM boards sometimes, if not usually, don't have them. Or not all of them anyway. If that's the case i'd recommend returning it for a retail board. It'll save you a ton of time.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Thank you guys so mcuh!

Those tips are very helpful! (thanks you for actually typing them out lol) I should probably get a retail version instead. One more question, for an OEM version hard drive, do I need to purchase extra cable? (On TigerDirect, it says OEM HD doesn't come with any cable)

and thanks for the link ducky~ !! i like it alot :)

Actually, 1 more question. When building a new PC, do I have to use the P/S2 connection for keyboard (People say USB won't work)? Because I only have a USB keyboard.

DanielCD

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
I asked this question 2 days ago: your motherboard will probably come with the SATA cables so you won't have to worry about that

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

Hard Drives normally don't come with any cables, retail or OEM, at least that i know of. The motherboard comes with the required connectors, hence my recommendation to buy a retail mobo instead, unless you know for sure all the requires connectors are pkged with it.

USB should work fine, if i remember correctly i used USB when first configuring my system. However if you have no luck getting input control, then try a PS/2 keyboard.