Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Purchasing New memory, Need Some Help

Last response: in Memory
April 3, 2009 5:38:35 AM

Hello All,

OK, here is the deal. I have an HP Pavillion Elite m9250f (Vista Ultimate 64-Bit). Current RAM config is as follows:
Slot 1-4 -- Total CURENT RAM 4 GB
Manufacturer: Samsung
Part Numbers: M3 78T2863QZS-CF7
Capacity: 1024 MB
Memory Type: DDR2 (PC2-6400)
Speed: 400 MHz (DDR2 800)
Supported Frequencies: 266 MHz, 333 MHz, 400 MHz
Memory Timings: 4-4-4-12-16 at 266 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Memory Timings: 5-5-5-15-20 at 333 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Memory Timings: 6-6-6-18-24 at 400 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Data Width: 64 Bits
EPP SPD Support: NO
XMP SPD Support: NO

Now here is the RAM I am looking into for a purchase:

Corsair XMS2 4 GB (2 X 2 GB) PC2-6400 800 MHz 240-PIN DDR2 Dual-Channel Memory Kit - TWIN2X4096-6400C5

The Twin2X4096-6400C5 G is a 4096MByte matched pair of DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs. This part delivers outstanding
performance in the latest generation of dual-channel DDR2-based motherboards. It has been tested extensively
in multiple DDR2 motherboards to ensure compatibility and performance at its rated speed. This memory has
been veried to operate at 800MHz at the low latencies of 5-5-5-18.

TEST SPECS:
 Each module pair is tested together at 800MHz
 Tested and packaged in pairs
 Packaged together immediately following system test
 Tested at JEDEC standard latency settings (5-5-5-18) at 1.9V
 SPD programmed at:
 JEDEC standard 5-5-5-18 values at 800MHz

FEATURES:
 4096 Megabytes of DDR2 memory
 Two matched CM2X2048-6400C5 G modules
 100% tested at 800MHz in high performance DDR2 motherboards
 Legendary Corsair reliability and service
 Lifetime warranty

AMAZON on sale after rebate = $17.99

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wil this work in my system? I have NO desire to overclock, will stay was shipped. In my BIOS, the area regarding my memory is grayed out, so I don't see any way to modify it, which brings me to the voltage question! Am I ok in that regard? Side note, I was looking at other memory options, but those all stated voltage at 2.1 or 2.2. From my research I believe that will NOT work in my system. Am I correct in that deduction?

BOTTOM LINE, Will it work in my system = YES or NO

Thanks to all in advance for your assistance and support!

Gunny

More about : purchasing memory

April 3, 2009 6:43:32 AM

If your current RAM is working properly, I see no reason to change it. You won't see any difference in performance.
m
l
a b } Memory
April 3, 2009 12:26:37 PM

My thoughts exactly, there is no need to replace the RAM you have if you are not having problems. You realize you are replacing it with almost the exact same memory you already have. Even benchmarks won't see any noticable difference between what you have, and what you are buying.
If there is an "Auto" detect feature in the BIOS for your memory that you can disable, then your memory settings will become available to change. But, HP may have not included that option into the BIOS on your system.
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2009 9:41:20 PM

WOW! I thought making this purchase would increase speed in a major way, since it is a PAIRED set. But from what your saying it won't provide any difference. Is my memory PAIRED?

Can you please provide the reason why no performance gain. Also, what memory will provide an increase in system performance (I'm a GAMER, RPG (NWN Series, Oblivion, etc. Also Call to Duty, FEAR, MASS EFFECT etc..).

From looking into the BIOS, I see no way to c
hange the RAM settings or turning off the AUTO config option.

Thanks. ~~. Gunny

m
l
April 4, 2009 4:15:27 AM

Dual channel makes very little difference, and if your mobo is capable of DC it will also work with 4 sticks.
m
l
April 4, 2009 5:14:30 AM

Thanks, saved me some $$$
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
April 4, 2009 3:24:55 PM

Different memory speeds don't make much difference in real world use. What is most important the amount of memory you have, and at 4 gig you have plenty.
On a side note, if you look at the speed of the memory you were going to buy, it was basically the same as what you have already. If you are running 4 sticks, it is running in dual channel mode. Just because the set you were going to buy is a "matched set", it does not mean it is any faster at all. Just means that the 2 sticks have been tested together and are certified to work together with no problems.
Yes, save your money and if you feel a need for speed, post the rest of your specs, CPU, Video Card, HDD, etc and we will let you know what will give you the best bang for your buck. Realizing though that on a HP, probably the only thing you can upgrade for performance is the video card. And that depends on if you have a strong enough processor to go with it, and a PSU capable of suppling enough power.
I also doubt there is any options to overclock anything in your system. Prebuilds like HP do not include options for this in their BIOS. Everything pretty much is limited to stock, that is why the majority of us here build our own.
!