Issues running 3850 AGP

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I'm not sure if this is the right board, but then again I'm not sure what exactly my problem is, so bear with me.

I just bought a 3850 for Folding@home purposes (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131090). I only wanted to update the graphics card in my desktop at home, not build myself a whole new computer (don't really have the money for that). This computer is fairly old- it's a Dell Dimension 4600 with a 478 CPU socket and AGP slot.

Since it's probably necessary information, the board is apparently a Dell 0F4491, I have 1.5 gigs of RAM installed, I'm running XP Home SP2, and the processor is a P4 Prescott 3.0 GHz.

I did do some of my homework on the PSU that would be necessary, and also purchased a 500 Watt power supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182016) to replace the 250 watter that came with it. Supposedly this card only needs 450 watts, and I've heard that that's with a large safety margin.

The problem is that my computer keeps black-screening me somewhat randomly. It occasionally has run for extended periods of time (I was once able to install both the normal drivers and the AGP hotfix without it black-screening), but usually is unable to make it to the desktop without failing.

I tried to Google the problem, but had only some luck. I did see that it could still be an issue with the PSU; the one I got supplies a combined 34A across 2 rails. I tried unplugging everything except the video card, processor, and HDD (just one), and was able to attain the aforementioned bout of success, but when I shut down the computer to close it up (I'd been running it with the cover off for troubleshooting purposes) it went back to the same-old same-old of black-screening when i started it up again (I knew doing something as positive as putting the cover on would cause it to fail :p)

So I don't know where the problem lies. I find it somewhat hard to believe that the PSU is to blame. It's almost certainly not faulty, as I put the 6800GT that I was using previously back in, and it ran fine for a while. In looking at the system requirements for the Sapphire 3850 AGP, this card needs 30A. I would have thought that 34A would be enough, especially without the CD and floppy drives, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't know how many amps the average HDD uses.

Another thought is that my motherboard is simply too old to handle the 3850 for whatever reason.

Lastly, I think it may be that the card is just bad in some way. Newegg reviews indicate that many people have had issues getting this to work (although usually farther down the line).

In any case, I'd appreciate any suggestions from people more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than me.

Bryytown

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
hey i JUST got a 3850AGP for my
Gygabyte K8NSXP and Athlon 64 3200+ Single core
2 Gigs of DDR 400 and Windows Vista Ultamate
I got the powercolor (dispite what many ppl think about the brand its the best one. TRUST ME.

Ok i almost got a roswill PSU with it too which is why y im replying to this but i got an ocz free shipping the roswill = NO do not use this psu the other thing is
USE the ATI 12 (or whatever version it is when u get this) hotfix driver when using it dont use the cd (no matter what brand) once u get ure new psu
Might not seem all that fast to you. WELL go into bios take your AGP CLOCK and turn it to 80 (HOLLY SH%#T) plays crysis all medium at 25 - 30 (depends on how good your ram is too prolly that for u (40 for me cause everything oced and i was SUPRISED. It ran EVERYTHING all goes to 5.9 too. (dude u got a dell might mean your mobo is shhhhh too there is a DEF diff between a real mobo and the sh%% they pass out.

So thats it man but that roswill just cause its 500w its cheep for a reason all that cool stuff u see (modualating flux blancing doohickies and blablabla volt even passer outer stuff u think is bs in the description of some of the REAL brands like OCZ, Coolermaster, Thermaltake. Its all VERRRRRY important. so funny i almost got the roswill too.

PS the turning up the AGP buss thing (agps have 2 clocks one at the bus and one at the card the card will do it by its (self sideband) but only reason i said it is if you dont notice it being SIGNIFIGANTLY faster than your old nm (cause its 55nm) then that is whats wrong. but if you cant get it to run at all then its that powrbox

um one more thing since your system is older if money is your issue then a 450 is fine too even a 400 if you dont oc your system is really rated at a 350 or so the 250 will NOTTTT do it. since the newer 55nm chip was uped to 3870 agp vs a 65 it dosnt need the 2 super power connectors the X1950 agp conversion did did. It draws way less power just wanted to throw that in for u ok