How to disconnect usb modem to save telephone charge

My daughter can only get dialup connection, which gets expensive. On her old laptop, (now defunct) running XP, with built-in modem, this was no problem; she simply right-clicked the taskbar and chose "disconnect". Her new laptop, running Windows 7, has no modem, so I got a USB one for her - it connects effortlessly, but we can find no way of disconnecting it and carrying on working offline, except by physically unplugging it, which seems a bit inelegant if nothing else.

Does anyone know how to disconnect cleanly?

Thank you.
11 answers Last reply
More about disconnect modem save telephone charge
  1. Right click on the small icon in the lower right (I stand corrected....) hand corner of her screen (near the ones for sound, etc) and simply select Disconnect.
  2. You mean the lower right hand corner of the screen
  3. abekl said:
    You mean the lower right hand corner of the screen

You, my friend, are correct.
  4. Thank you, both, but I think she tried that - it was what she had been used to with the earlier modem. I didn't mention that she is living 200 miles away, so it may be some time before I can contact her and get back to you, but I will. In the excitement and confusion of so many new things, she may have clicked on the wrong icon, or something.

It also occurs to me that the manual/instructions for the USB modem may be on the little disk which accompanied it, which was ignored because W7 recognised the modem and installed the driver without it.

So thanks again, and I'll be back.
  5. in windows 7 on the bottom right of the taskbar there is an icon of a usb device with a green tick on it--if you right click that you can eject connected usb devices by left clicking the one you want to stop--though you would probably have to unplug the modem and plug it back in to re-enable it

or if you run the cd that came with the modem the taskbar icon for the modem should appear--when windows 7 automatically installed the driver it doesnt install the included software as well
  6. A Windows recognized modem does not need additional software to work properly (typically). Connecting/dis-connecting is an aspect of dial-up networking and therefor all that is needed is to tell the modem (when connected) to disconnect. It may be a hidden icon so a click on the small arrow (also in the lower right corner) may be needed first.
  7. Thanks again, both. I am amazed and grateful that so many people have taken time to help me - hope I can do the same for you or for somebody else.

As my daughter is so far away, I am going to get another of the same modem from Amazon, plug it into my laptop and try to duplicate the problem. It wasn't that expensive.

More later.
  8. Since nowadays dialers are a problem when using a 56k modem (as it does long-distance call for someone else and you get the billing for it), I HIGHLY suggest to physically unplug it when not needed.
  9. Oh - thank you. We will.
  10. I don't quite understand this: "it does long-distance call for someone else and you get the billing for it" - could you please explain? Thanks
  11. airidh said:
    I don't quite understand this: "it does long-distance call for someone else and you get the billing for it" - could you please explain? Thanks

I would ignore that posting. He was describing an old dialer program (kind of like a virus). Pretty uncommon these days.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Laptops Connection Modem Windows 7