Sign in with
Your question

Blue Screen When Overclocking NB 955BE

Last response: in Overclocking
April 10, 2010 1:52:00 AM

Alright so recently I've been doing a little overclocking and have been able to get everything stable at my current settings. In trying to get just a little more juice out of my CPU I have been attempting to OC my NB. Well I've tried various voltages, decreasing HT speed, RAM frequency. I just can't get anything stable, even at only 2200 MHZ (2000 stock). They all randomly (I mean, completely random) BSOD. I get this error:

Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
‎4/‎9/‎2010 5:17 PM

Status
Not reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF80002C7E105
BCP3: FFFFF88006958DB0
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

My specs are:
AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.62 GHz
ASUS M4A78T-E Deluxe
Corsair TX850W
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
G.Skill 3x2GB Trident DDR3
Zalman CNPS9700 LED
Windows 7 64 Bit

Anything else you guys need to help me isolate this problem just let me know! And it really is completely stable at 2000 MHz, p95 all day, I play BC2 without BSODs, RAM passed memtest.
a b À AMD
a c 280 K Overclocking
April 10, 2010 5:07:18 AM

Hi.

This is a guide about How OC the X4 955. Maybe can help you.
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2010 7:23:08 AM

In order for me to diagnose your problem you will need to provide what you have keyed in the Bios.

Related resources
April 10, 2010 3:36:50 PM

OvrClkr said:
In order for me to diagnose your problem you will need to provide what you have keyed in the Bios.

In order for both to run at 2600Mhz you need to give both the NB and HT at least 1.3v

Well that might explain it because I've been raising my CPU/NB voltage and not quite focusing on the NB voltage as much.

Just a little question though, my motherboard is retarded and seems to default the NBv at 1.3v, but it shows up as 1.1v in OverDrive. Is there any reason for this or should I just raise it in the BIOS until it shows up as 1.3 in OverDrive?
April 10, 2010 4:26:03 PM

Nope it's a no-go. Tried twice, once with cpu/nb and nb at 1.4v and once with cpu/nb at 1.4v and nb at 1.3v. Both times I got weird Blue Screens that seemed to point to some kind of nvidia drivers?? I think... Well here they are:

Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
‎4/‎10/‎2010 9:05 AM

Status
Not reported

Problem signature

BCCode: 3d
BCP1: FFFFF88002FFBDE0
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF8801401F768

Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
‎4/‎10/‎2010 9:10 AM

Status
Not reported

Problem signature

BCCode: 3d
BCP1: FFFFF880062F5130
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF880016FEB2C

I do not recall the exact names of the files that it gave me but it said INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with my gfx card. The BSODs both occurred within minutes of startup and I've had my pc on for around 30 minutes back to stable settings.

Any ideas? Sorry for double post :p 
April 10, 2010 11:58:01 PM

Bumb.

All I really need to know is what the difference is between NB VID and NB voltage is and I can try adjusting them.
I'd also like to know what some good starting points are, averages needed for each to reach 2400~2600, preferably from somebody with a little experience using both.

Thank you!
April 11, 2010 9:37:58 AM

this thread is really interesting for me too. i am in the sam situation here and would really like some responses.

OVRCLKR- ur settings are similar to mine, do u have 1150mhz DDR2 ram? i would really like some more info on your overclock if so!! voltages please??
April 11, 2010 6:29:55 PM

j4mi3 said:
this thread is really interesting for me too. i am in the sam situation here and would really like some responses.

OVRCLKR- ur settings are similar to mine, do u have 1150mhz DDR2 ram? i would really like some more info on your overclock if so!! voltages please??

Hi j4mi3,

I'm sorry to see that you're in the same boat as me. I've been looking around for a long time and have come to the conclusion that it's a very complicated process to overclock nb with some Asus boards, specifically mine. By complicated I just mean there are a few more things that you need to understand.

I'm also interested in seeing if you get the same error codes as me and if you have an Asus motherboard.

If not you might just not be supplying enough power. A blue screen that restarts almost immediately (even if you have 'don't restart on crash' enabled) is pretty much a voltage issue. Same with the 124 error code, it's usually voltage or overheating, but it can be other things. I don't mind if you 'steal' my thread so we can both work on this together. Post some more of your details and we'll see if we really are in the same boat.

Also, my crash takes about 1 and a half minutes from the welcome screen to crash. This leads me to believe mine is something other than voltage. On my last BSOD (when I overclock my NB i get many different BSODs) it said something was written on read only memory or something, which does not sound like a NB issue. It still only occurs when the NB is overclocked though, which is beyond me.

Any more ideas?
a b À AMD
a c 280 K Overclocking
April 11, 2010 11:47:53 PM

Do you have 6GB (3x2GB)? the tri-chanel is only for x58 chipset and i7-9xx series, your current configuration run at least one stick in single channel an that affect the performance of all the rig.
April 12, 2010 1:11:10 AM

I know one stick is single channel, I bought the RAM for cheap so I went with 6GB. That shouldn't affect much right?

And what do you mean by "affect the performance of all the rig." My PC is slower with more RAM??
a b À AMD
a c 280 K Overclocking
April 12, 2010 1:32:58 AM

From here

Dual-channel-enabled memory controllers utilize two 64-bit data channels, resulting in a 128-bit data path, in single channel only will 64-bit, that is less "speed".

Under the single-channel architecture, any CPU with a bus speed greater than the memory speed would be susceptible to bottleneck effect
April 13, 2010 1:27:46 AM

That still doesn't make any sense to me. My RAM is running dual channel, just one stick is single channel. That doesn't make my whole system single channel it just means that last stick will be slower than it could be. I don't mind having one slow stick, having three sticks, even if one is a little limp, is better than 2.

I could be entirely wrong, and I'm willing to bet I am. Besides that though, I am experiencing no performance issues. Is there really a gigantic performance difference between the two? Enlighten me.

EDIT: Just did a whole load of research in a very small amount of time and came to the conclusion that what I have isn't any different from dual channel. Even though it says I'm running in dual channel, I'm not; I'm running in single channel. After looking at some benchmarks of similar systems, it was found that there is no noticeable real world difference with an AMD chip, and even in benchmarks there is a minimal less than 1% to 5% increase in performance with dual channel. The fact of the matter is that AMD doesn't utilize dual channel like Intel, and the FSB on AMD's processors, such as mine (at 212 atm), is a lot lower than most Intel processors. AMD's processors run off of multi, not FSB.
Conclusion: I do not notice any performance loss, nor will I notice an increase if I take out a stick. The bottleneck you spoke of wouldn't really affect me because my FSB runs way lower than my RAM. I'll keep my extra 2GB simply for the increased multitasking ability.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong :) .
a b À AMD
a c 280 K Overclocking
April 13, 2010 4:03:51 AM

^You are right. Even, the difference is so small that is considerate as normal error in the research and not as a real difference.
April 13, 2010 10:44:55 PM

saint19 said:
^You are right. Even, the difference is so small that is considerate as normal error in the research and not as a real difference.

Alright, glad I cleared this up. You had me pouring over forums and benches trying to determine if I needed to go out and buy another stick.

Regardless, that is not the point of this thread. I'm (still) trying to find out why I can't overclock my NB.
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 1:27:54 AM

dyno0919 said:
Alright, glad I cleared this up. You had me pouring over forums and benches trying to determine if I needed to go out and buy another stick.

Regardless, that is not the point of this thread. I'm (still) trying to find out why I can't overclock my NB.

quick question...

Are you still using overdrive or did you take the advice on using the Bios only? Hopefully you are not using both at the same time.. Not sure why you are hitting a wall.

April 14, 2010 1:32:45 AM

I'm hardcore BIOS. That bullshit AMD only made me BSOD quicker haha. I use it to test my voltage sometimes when I think my voltage is too high, and I see how low it can go before a BSOD, but that's about it. IMO BIOS provides a much better overclock.
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 1:55:07 AM

Ok first off you need to decide weather you will be using 2 or 4 sticks, 3 sticks will only screw up the OC even worse. You want dual channel mode, nothing less...

When you have 3 sticks installed your memory changes to single channel which is a no-no when it comes to AM3. 3 stick configurations are meant for Intel setups ie: x58 LGA 1366

Let me know when you have either removed that 3rd stick or if you decided on installing a forth..

April 14, 2010 2:17:58 AM

So you are saying I can't overclock my northbus because of my RAM?
This is really what I wanted to know. I have my overclock completely stable right now, it ran 18 hours of prime so I'm not worried about that end of the stick.
Honestly, I don't plan on doing either, I want to keep my 3rd stick; however I will probably bench the 2 sticks vs 3 now that everyone has me thinking about it.

If you have the time, could you please explain to me why having single channel wouldn't allow me to overclock my NB. That would be interesting to know.

I'm not an idiot, contrary to what people seem to think. I've been told 2 or 3 times on this thread alone that triple channel is for Intel chipsets. I know this. I bought it on a good deal, and didn't really think single vs dual channel made that much difference. It was like walking into a store and seeing a candy bar for $.50 and then seeing two of the same right next to it for $.55. I bought it because it was an extremely good deal.

If the single channel is really what is causing my failure, that would be nice to know (and please explain to me the cause for this :) . At this point I just want some closure. If anybody knows where to buy just one stick of RAM let me know, because I'd be happy to throw down the money. I just don't want to lose money on that last stick.

UPDATE: Ran the benches and results were minimal. My final overall scores on both the CPU and RAM actually proved to be better with 3 sticks instead of 2. It is exactly like I thought, there is very little performance difference. I am still very interested with your input on how three could be causing my instability though.
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 4:20:54 AM

dyno0919 said:
So you are saying I can't overclock my northbus because of my RAM?
This is really what I wanted to know. I have my overclock completely stable right now, it ran 18 hours of prime so I'm not worried about that end of the stick.
Honestly, I don't plan on doing either, I want to keep my 3rd stick; however I will probably bench the 2 sticks vs 3 now that everyone has me thinking about it.

If you have the time, could you please explain to me why having single channel wouldn't allow me to overclock my NB. That would be interesting to know.

I'm not an idiot, contrary to what people seem to think. I've been told 2 or 3 times on this thread alone that triple channel is for Intel chipsets. I know this. I bought it on a good deal, and didn't really think single vs dual channel made that much difference. It was like walking into a store and seeing a candy bar for $.50 and then seeing two of the same right next to it for $.55. I bought it because it was an extremely good deal.

If the single channel is really what is causing my failure, that would be nice to know (and please explain to me the cause for this :) . At this point I just want some closure. If anybody knows where to buy just one stick of RAM let me know, because I'd be happy to throw down the money. I just don't want to lose money on that last stick.

UPDATE: Ran the benches and results were minimal. My final overall scores on both the CPU and RAM actually proved to be better with 3 sticks instead of 2. It is exactly like I thought, there is very little performance difference. I am still very interested with your input on how three could be causing my instability though.

Dual-channel technology was created to address the issue of bottlenecks. Increased processor speed and performance requires other, less prominent components to keep pace. In the case of dual channel design, the intended target is the memory controller (AM3), which regulates data flow between the CPU and system memory (RAM). The memory controller determines the types and speeds of RAM as well as the maximum size of each individual memory module and the overall memory capacity of the system. However, when the memory is unable to keep up with the processor, a "bottleneck" occurs, leaving the CPU with nothing to process. Under the single-channel architecture, any CPU with a bus speed greater than the memory speed would be susceptible to this bottleneck effect.

The dual-channel configuration alleviates the problem by doubling the amount of available memory bandwidth. Instead of a single memory channel, a second parallel channel is added. With two channels working simultaneously, the bottleneck is reduced. Rather than wait for memory technology to improve, dual-channel architecture simply takes the existing RAM technology and improves the method in which it is handled. While the actual implementation differs between Intel and AMD motherboards, the basic theory stands.

When using an Am2/Am2+/Am3 system it is highly recommended that you stay within spec's to reduce any unnecessary bottleneck's that may occur. AM3 systems are meant to run in dual channel just like x58's are meant to run in tr-channel. You are actually taking a step backwards when you go from dual channel to single channel.

Take my advice and run your system with 4Gb of ram (2 sticks), then we can address the NB issue ;) 
April 14, 2010 4:22:29 AM

I realize my 'technology' isn't running at the latest spec by forcing it in single channel and the benchmarks proved that I shouldn't really care. I understand dual channel is better, but I haven't run into any problems using single. I already read all of what you sent me on Wikipedia. I was asking you if you could explain to me how running in single channel would cause my NB failure, not why dual channel is better than single channel.
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 4:39:24 AM

I cannot give you a definitive answer as to why your NB is failing because first off you are not running your system within spec's. Meaning how can we find the solution to the problem if you have not even tested with 2 sticks in dual channel mode.

You are being hard-headed about this whole 4Gb vs. 6Gb fallacy instead of running your ram the way it was meant to be run..
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 4:41:29 AM

j4mi3 said:

Hey buddy, I am using 2x 2Gb sticks of Mushkin Blackline 1600Mhz DDR3 @ 7-6-7-20-27-2T

a b À AMD
a c 280 K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 5:22:06 AM

I'm not sure, but if the NB speed is above of your HT link, you will have a BSoD.

And like OvrClkr says, in my 1st post i said that the 6GB kits is only for x58 and i7-9xx series.

When the speed of your link processor is more faster that the speed of your RAM, the RAM limits the processor (bottleneck), that could be your case with only one stick running in single channel.
April 14, 2010 4:01:58 PM

I'm sorry but if the people that are answering me on this thread are anything like the whole forum I'm never using this site again. I just want to know why my NB won't work and all you people care about is that my ram is running in single channel. Just because it isn't running as fast as it could be doesn't mean it's making my system unstable. You come in here an basically say I'm retarded or doing this, then call me hard headed. Maybe you're the one being stubborn, you won't even answer any of my questions! I really don't mean to flame but the people on here are ridiculous. You all just come in here an start criticizing my RAM choice without even trying to help me troubleshoot the problem. My RAM has nothing to do with it! My system is completely stable the way it is. But whatever. If you don't want to help me then I don't give a ***. This is the last time I will ever use this forum so don't even bother flaming me back, I won't read it. I swear to god, I don't understand what the *** your guys' problem is.
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 7:43:18 PM

dyno0919 said:
I'm sorry but if the people that are answering me on this thread are anything like the whole forum I'm never using this site again. I just want to know why my NB won't work and all you people care about is that my ram is running in single channel. Just because it isn't running as fast as it could be doesn't mean it's making my system unstable. You come in here an basically say I'm retarded or doing this, then call me hard headed. Maybe you're the one being stubborn, you won't even answer any of my questions! I really don't mean to flame but the people on here are ridiculous. You all just come in here an start criticizing my RAM choice without even trying to help me troubleshoot the problem. My RAM has nothing to do with it! My system is completely stable the way it is. But whatever. If you don't want to help me then I don't give a ***. This is the last time I will ever use this forum so don't even bother flaming me back, I won't read it. I swear to god, I don't understand what the *** your guys' problem is.

Look Dyno, you are making this hard on yourself because you wish to, we are trying to help you but you are not paying attention. You purchased a 3x 2Gb Kit that is specifically meant for x58 systems. Second, all we wanted was for you to remove 1 stick so we could try and troubleshoot the NB issue. I have never used 2x 3 Gb sticks on an AMD system so how do you expect a definitive answer if you can’t even do your part, is it that hard to remove one stick so we can move on and find a solution to your problem?

Once we rule out that the stick is NOT interfering with the NB you can go ahead and install it back into that 3rd slot if you wish, there is no need for you to get upset about this when we are trying to help you find a solution/answer to this whole ordeal..
April 14, 2010 10:53:51 PM

Alright guys I'm going to try and say what I have to say a little less abrasively.
I apologize for my behavior earlier this morning.

I want you to see where I am coming for though.

A.) Saint19, I appreciate your concern and never once did you aggravate me the way OvrClkr has. I do realize that I am running RAM only for the i7 chipsets, and that only their IMC can run my RAM to its full capacity. However, I also know that just because my RAM is too good for my processor and motherboard, that it doesn't mean I can't run it. I'll say it again, I got the RAM for a good deal. I don't think you guys are processing the fact that I understand EVERYTHING about my RAM. You don't have to tell me OVER AND OVER AND OVER again that it can only run full spec with an i7. I UNDERSTAND THAT. The RAM is not causing me any system stability the way it is.

B.) "Look Dyno, you are making this hard on yourself because you wish to"
Dude why would I want to make this hard on myself?? I'm simply asking why my NB will not overclock and all you care about is that my RAM is running in single channel.

C.) " we are trying to help you but you are not paying attention."
I'm paying attention to everything you have said. And you have never once tried to help me. All you have done is given me your BIOS specs and criticized my choice in RAM. I do not call that help. Saint19 has at least TRIED to troubleshoot, yet you still sit on my RAM.

D.)"You purchased a 3x 2Gb Kit that is specifically meant for x58 systems"
This is true. But it doesn't mean it won't work with my system.

E.)" Second, all we wanted was for you to remove 1 stick so we could try and troubleshoot the NB issue"
I never once recall you asking me to take out one stick of RAM and overclock my NB. The closest you ever came was this: "Let me know when you have either removed that 3rd stick or if you decided on installing a forth.. " Which again is just basically implying I'm retarded for choosing the RAM I did. You never told me to troubleshoot by trying my NB with 2 sticks.

F.)"I have never used 2x 3 Gb sticks on an AMD system so how do you expect a definitive answer if you can’t even do your part, is it that hard to remove one stick so we can move on and find a solution to your problem? "
My part? HA. It's your part to know what you're talking about if you're going to try and help me. If you don't know what to do for my specific system why are you here in the first place? And I did remove a stick, I benched it and I got very similar scores on both ends, so I decided to leave it in. Single channel doesn't cause instability, the most damage it can do is cause a bottleneck, which has no harmful effect whatsoever.

G.) "When the speed of your link processor is more faster that the speed of your RAM, the RAM limits the processor (bottleneck), that could be your case with only one stick running in single channel."
I do understand it as you both have told this to me twice and I now understand to the fullest what my system and its RAM is doing. By benchmarking in single and dual channel I was able to prove it wasn't causing a bottleneck because the benches were in less than 1% of each other, also what you said in an earlier post. The bottleneck would be caused if my FSB was less than the RAM, correct? My RAM is running in 700 mhz and my FSB is 212. I don't think there's a problem there.

H.) I don't think you guys realize I know what I'm talking about with computers. I may not have known a whole lot about RAM at the beginning of this thread, but now I do. You continually repeat yourself about my RAM being for the x58 chipset, that my RAM is running in single channel, and that AMD only supports 2 stick configurations. I GET IT. And I have gotten it, I don't understand why you guys feel the need to repeat yourselves.

I.) To prove my point further, I took out a stick and overclocked my NB to 2500. It crashed in less than a minute.

I understand there must be some kind of communication error here, and that OvrClkr really sounds like he hasn't read the whole thread. Again, I apologize for my rant and flame this morning. This post is nothing of the sort, I do NOT mean to be rude. This post is really just a representation of the way I am seeing things, and hopefully you can understand why I am so frustrated with the people on here.

This thread has gotten way off topic. I don't even care what happens to it. It's obvious you aren't going to help me find out the problem with my NB.
a b À AMD
a c 280 K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 11:14:46 PM

Ok, calm down. Start again.

Read this (http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/525113-phenom-ii-o...), maybe can help you to understad better the relation that exist between the RAM, the NB and HT link.

Now, is clear that the BSoD that you have is because your OC isn't stable it all. So, try just OC the NB without rise the multiplier or anyonther thing.
So, read this (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2379&p...) to know how OC the 790GX.
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 11:31:55 PM

dyno0919 said:
Alright guys I'm going to try and say what I have to say a little less abrasively.
I apologize for my behavior earlier this morning.

I want you to see where I am coming for though.

A.) Saint19, I appreciate your concern and never once did you aggravate me the way OvrClkr has. I do realize that I am running RAM only for the i7 chipsets, and that only their IMC can run my RAM to its full capacity. However, I also know that just because my RAM is too good for my processor and motherboard, that it doesn't mean I can't run it. I'll say it again, I got the RAM for a good deal. I don't think you guys are processing the fact that I understand EVERYTHING about my RAM. You don't have to tell me OVER AND OVER AND OVER again that it can only run full spec with an i7. I UNDERSTAND THAT. The RAM is not causing me any system stability the way it is.

B.) "Look Dyno, you are making this hard on yourself because you wish to"
Dude why would I want to make this hard on myself?? I'm simply asking why my NB will not overclock and all you care about is that my RAM is running in single channel.

C.) " we are trying to help you but you are not paying attention."
I'm paying attention to everything you have said. And you have never once tried to help me. All you have done is given me your BIOS specs and criticized my choice in RAM. I do not call that help. Saint19 has at least TRIED to troubleshoot, yet you still sit on my RAM.

D.)"You purchased a 3x 2Gb Kit that is specifically meant for x58 systems"
This is true. But it doesn't mean it won't work with my system.

E.)" Second, all we wanted was for you to remove 1 stick so we could try and troubleshoot the NB issue"
I never once recall you asking me to take out one stick of RAM and overclock my NB. The closest you ever came was this: "Let me know when you have either removed that 3rd stick or if you decided on installing a forth.. " Which again is just basically implying I'm retarded for choosing the RAM I did. You never told me to troubleshoot by trying my NB with 2 sticks.

F.)"I have never used 2x 3 Gb sticks on an AMD system so how do you expect a definitive answer if you can’t even do your part, is it that hard to remove one stick so we can move on and find a solution to your problem? "
My part? HA. It's your part to know what you're talking about if you're going to try and help me. If you don't know what to do for my specific system why are you here in the first place? And I did remove a stick, I benched it and I got very similar scores on both ends, so I decided to leave it in. Single channel doesn't cause instability, the most damage it can do is cause a bottleneck, which has no harmful effect whatsoever.

G.) "When the speed of your link processor is more faster that the speed of your RAM, the RAM limits the processor (bottleneck), that could be your case with only one stick running in single channel."
I do understand it as you both have told this to me twice and I now understand to the fullest what my system and its RAM is doing. By benchmarking in single and dual channel I was able to prove it wasn't causing a bottleneck because the benches were in less than 1% of each other, also what you said in an earlier post. The bottleneck would be caused if my FSB was less than the RAM, correct? My RAM is running in 700 mhz and my FSB is 212. I don't think there's a problem there.

H.) I don't think you guys realize I know what I'm talking about with computers. I may not have known a whole lot about RAM at the beginning of this thread, but now I do. You continually repeat yourself about my RAM being for the x58 chipset, that my RAM is running in single channel, and that AMD only supports 2 stick configurations. I GET IT. And I have gotten it, I don't understand why you guys feel the need to repeat yourselves.

I.) To prove my point further, I took out a stick and overclocked my NB to 2500. It crashed in less than a minute.

I understand there must be some kind of communication error here, and that OvrClkr really sounds like he hasn't read the whole thread. Again, I apologize for my rant and flame this morning. This post is nothing of the sort, I do NOT mean to be rude. This post is really just a representation of the way I am seeing things, and hopefully you can understand why I am so frustrated with the people on here.

This thread has gotten way off topic. I don't even care what happens to it. It's obvious you aren't going to help me find out the problem with my NB.

You are wasting your time with all this typing, the reason I asked you to remove a stick or install a 4th is the obvious, I wanted to know if you will be running 4Gb's or 8Gb, all you had to do was remove one stick and you were done. Seems like you are doing this on purpose.. anyways yes you crashed at 2500Mhz because who knows what voltage/frequency/multi's you have keyed in the Bios. You cannot just simply raise the NB to 2500Mhz and expect the PC to do the rest..
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 11:41:13 PM

And for the record YOU are the one that has not read the whole thread because if you scroll up to the 3rd post it clearly states that you need to "provide what you have keyed in the Bios" in order for us to know what is right and what needs to be adjusted, something that to this date is still unknown...

It can be many things, you might have your CPU/NB link higher than the HT link or your voltages might be off..who knows...

IMO you are upset that you purchased an extra stick regardless if it has to do with the NB issue or not.

Anyways like I said we are trying to help you out, you want to be a smart ass about the whole situation then go ahead..
April 14, 2010 11:44:15 PM

I'm not doing this on purpose and I'm not wasting time. It took like five minutes to type up. I don't see why you are being such a giant douchebag. You basically called me retarded again, " You cannot just simply raise the NB to 2500Mhz and expect the PC to do the rest.. " I tried it with the CPU/NB at 1.375 and the NB at 1.3, and with the CPU/NB at 1.4 and the NB at 1.4. Why do you continue to assault me with insults? I know how to overclock, I know how to build a computer, I am a NERD. If I wasn't I would have come in here and said that it was a first time experience and I needed help. You should have gotten a clue when I said I had overclocked everything stably except for my NB. If you're just going to continue to bash on my intelligence and not provide any help whatsoever why do you continue to come back? Go away dude, seriously. I realize that I'm the "Underdog" in this scenario, and that telling you to go away seems ridiculous. But we come to forums for help, and you're not doing that for me. So I ask you respectfully to back off from this thread because I'm tired of the way you are treating me.

"because who knows what voltage/frequency/multi's"
Well 1.) It's frequency is obviously at 2500...I told you that. Now I just told you the voltage and the multi doesn't matter, and still if you had been intuitive enough to notice that I had pointed out I have my fsb at 212, you would have known my multiplier was at 11.

2.)"you might have your CPU/NB link higher than the HT link " Your HT link does not have to be equal to your NB, in fact a higher NB can increase performance and an overclocked HT can decrease performance and/or cause instability.

3.)"IMO you are upset that you purchased an extra stick regardless if it has to do with the NB issue or not."
Why would I come on here and complain about my northbus because I was sad I bought and extra stick??

4.)"Anyways like I said we are trying to help you out, you want to be a smart ass about the whole situation then go ahead.."
I honestly believe that you have never once tried to help me. Maybe I am being a smart ass, but when I get slapped in the face with words, I'll punch back.
April 14, 2010 11:53:32 PM

Please dude just stop wasting your time on this thread. I want help, not constant bashing from you. I'm sorry that I never posted my BIOS settings but that is because I used your suggestion and, if you had noticed, I posted that the settings I had keyed in did not work. I've asked various questions on this thread that seemed to fly by under the radar and never got answered. But I guess I know why now. You have nothing better to do than NOT help me with my problem, make fun of me, and criticize me.

Again, just leave. Leave or ask someone to close the thread. I don't care. I know now that I'm not going to get any help with my problem here because no one seems to care. And that happens with threads. I get that. You don't have to come in here and tell me about something that has nothing to do with my problem. Just don't come in at all. If you continue to come in here and cut me down, I'll stand up for myself. I really don't care because now I know what to expect out of this thread. Nothing.
April 15, 2010 12:01:31 AM

saint19 said:
Ok, calm down. Start again.

Read this (http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/525113-phenom-ii-o...), maybe can help you to understad better the relation that exist between the RAM, the NB and HT link.

Now, is clear that the BSoD that you have is because your OC isn't stable it all. So, try just OC the NB without rise the multiplier or anyonther thing.
So, read this (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2379&p...) to know how OC the 790GX.

Thank you for your answer. It makes sense now that while I overclock my FSB I can get higher than 2000 on my NB, and when I increase my multiplier it can crash. I'll try just increasing FSB speeds and doing some stability testing on the subject. I'll be back with my results.
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 12:14:07 AM

Nobody is making fun of anyone here, you are blowing this out of proportion because you wish to.

I simply asked you to do something so we can go to step 2 but it seems that you came here expecting us to hand you your answer on a silver plated dish and that is not how things work around here...

You ask a question and we try to help, you sidetrack the thread stating that you want to use all 3 sticks REGARDLESS of what we are trying to do and then on top of that you get upset.

Learn how to take advice because if anything we are here to help but you have to do your part as well..

April 15, 2010 12:45:46 AM

Alright man I am really not trying to blow up on you. Did you even bother to read the thread above the one you just posted? Yeah, that's what I call taking advice and troubleshooting. What I came here to do. I don't expect it on a silver plated dish and I don't want to over exaggerate things. Who would?!
I guess nobody is literally "making fun of anyone" here, but you really excel at making me feel like an idiot and imply that I'm slow at learning and can't take advice. If I didn't know how to take advice how would I know to come to a forum? I would try to solve this on my own and eventually just give up, not try to solve it on my own and then come here and ask for help.
I have done everything you've asked in an attempt to troubleshoot my problem, except for posting my FULL BIOS settings. I simply posted what I felt was relevent to my NB issue. I've done what you've asked, tried doing the things (saint19) has asked me, what more do you want from me?? There's nothing else I can give. I did indeed ask a question, and I STILL feel that you, specifically, have hardly tried to help.
And to my belief, I did not sidetrack the thread with my three sticks of RAM, the first one to bring that up was saint19, and it would have ended there, yet you felt the need to blow THAT out of proportion.
I am upset, but apparently you don't understand why. I've written out practically an essay's worth above if you would care to look at it.

This thread is waaay off topic, but hopefully I'm providing someone's afternoon laugh as they scroll through the offbeat forums of Tomshardware.

I GREATLY appreciate saint19's input. Especially through the rest of the mess that I have caused throughout this thread. I tried what you said and overclocked my fsb to 217, 237, and 260, all of which get me around 2600 MHz. I adjusted the settings accordingly, I'm not an idiot, increasing voltage and maintaining (roughly) the same settings I had had before (ex, keeping my ram around 1400, and my cpu around 3700). I even tried at 3600 and loosened my RAM timings. It seems I hit a wall at 2400. I can get it up to 2350 (where it is now) stable, but anything farther crashes roughly a minute after the welcome screen appears on windows. Strange.
Maybe I got a bad motherboard? It sure seems that way.
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 1:01:37 AM

I don't think you have a bad board even though reviews state that it is finicky with the memory settings.

What speed is your ram rated at 1333Mhz/1600Mhz?

You should be able to hit at least 2400Mhz by lowering your ram frequency and raising the FSB.
April 15, 2010 1:09:17 AM

My RAM is rated at 2000 but it is running fine at 1413.

I expect you to be thinking I'm crazy for buying RAM rated that high for an AMD processor, when AM3 processors are designed with 1333 in mind. Please don't criticize me for this decision, again, I got it for cheap and I know it is ridiculous for my system.

I honestly don't even want to overclock my NB anymore. I'm fine with it the way it is. Unless you have any more ideas, we both know it would be a good idea to walk away from this thread forever.
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 1:19:18 AM

Well im going to be honest here, your board does not support anything higher than 1600Mhz but its not the boards fault it is the AM3 mem controller that cannot keep up with such speeds.

How did you get your ram to run at 1413? I think your problem has to do with not setting the correct frequency. Set you ram to run at 1600Mhz and try the NB at 2400 again.

Leave the FSB alone for now (200).
April 15, 2010 1:26:09 AM

I know what my board supports...And it is the boards fault. The AM3's IMC is actually rated at 1333 RAM speeds, and anything over is overclocked. There are boards out that also support 1800 and 2133 with the AM3 platform, it's not just 1600.

Other than that I have tried running my RAM at all different kinds of frequencies, including leaving the NB alone and 1600 and 1333.
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 1:35:30 AM

The 890GX is the only platform that supports more than 1600Mhz and it has to be overclocked as well not native. Your board should be able to run your ram fine at 1600Mhz. I have a 790FX that also runs 1600Mhz ram w/o overclocking anything.

here is an example :

http://s683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/?actio...

Im not sure if it is your ram or if it is the board, if you can run you ram fine at 1600Mhz i would try lowering the CPU multi to around 11x, lowering your ram frequency to 800Mhz and lowering both the CPU/NB and HT link to its lowest possible value. Then start raising the FSB till your ram is in between 1333 and 1600Mhz, this in turn should also raise both the CPU/NB and HT to around 2400-2600.
April 15, 2010 1:46:49 AM

I have already tried that. Again, if you would have looked at the post where I had said I appreciated saint19's input I said I had tried various FSB speeds to get to 2600 on my NB. I also run my RAM at 1400 for the timings, not because it is unstable. I can run my RAM fine at 1600 I just need to loosen the timings. And although on boards where 1600 is natively supported it is not TECHNICALLY called overclocking, it is indeed running over the supported specs of any AM3 platform processors out now, which are rated at 1333. That is what I meant by overclocked.
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 2:00:58 AM

Then it must be your board, especially if the ram runs fine at 1600Mhz.

There really aint much difference going from 2350 to 2600Mhz. It does not affect the CPU overclock in any way so i would just stick to what is most stable and call it a day.

April 15, 2010 2:04:03 AM

Alright thank you!

It's actually better to know more definitively that it's my board causing the problem. I've always thought so anyway.

I apologize if I insulted you in any way. I did not mean to demean you, or anyone else in this thread. I simply wanted to get my point across that I wanted to talk about my NB and not my RAM.

Thanks again for your time.
a b À AMD
a c 280 K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 2:05:45 AM

Sorry, until now I arrive from the univesity.

So, What is the max stable speed that you can get with only rise the multiplier? not change NB, or RAM speed or HT link....
April 15, 2010 2:16:19 AM

saint19 said:
Sorry, until now I arrive from the univesity.

So, What is the max stable speed that you can get with only rise the multiplier? not change NB, or RAM speed or HT link....

Do you mean on my NB or my CPU or RAM? Ah what the heck, I'll give them all ;) .

My NB is currently at 2332, but I'm sure I could squeeze a few more drops out of it.

My processor is running stable at 3.72 GHz, but my wall is temperature, not a limitation of the chip or mobo itself.

And my RAM is currently running at 1412 MHz, but it's max is unknown to me. I go more for timings and latency than bandwidth.

My HT link remains untouched. It stays around 2000 because of what I said earlier, overclocking it can slow down your system and/or cause instability.
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 2:17:54 AM

dyno0919 said:
Alright thank you!

It's actually better to know more definitively that it's my board causing the problem. I've always thought so anyway.

I apologize if I insulted you in any way. I did not mean to demean you, or anyone else in this thread. I simply wanted to get my point across that I wanted to talk about my NB and not my RAM.

Thanks again for your time.

No worries, sometimes we get aggravated when we are trying to find a solution to the problem ;) 

a b À AMD
a c 280 K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 2:30:15 AM

What temperature?

Like OvrClkr says, I think that the problem is the mobo, RMA and maybe, if you can, get a mobo with chipset 790FX. Even I can get 4GHz with my old mobo AM2+ and the 955 C2.
April 15, 2010 3:01:05 AM

It maxes out @ 49-52 in prime and 54-56 in LinX. To get it to 3.8 though I need 1.4875 vcore and it hits like 60 in prime. I know its under the safety (62) but I like to keep a safe distance away. Besides, I wouldn't really see any performance gain and I'm not one for showing off benchmarks.
And that's a pretty nice OC for a C2 dude. How'd you do it? Water? I don't see how you could possibly get it to 4.0 24/7 on air.
a b À AMD
a c 280 K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 3:11:55 AM

^A cold City, a Hyper 212+ and a TT V9 can do the job.

And isn't soo good, OvrClkr can get 4.114GHZ with a B50 :( 
April 15, 2010 3:27:26 AM

Agh, I need something better than a zalman 9700 ahahah. I needed it quick though, that stock cooler was driving me insane. Oh well, I'm happy with my overclock. A lot of people in my situation can barely get to 3.6, and I can get to 3.8 stable, its just too hot. So I guess I should be happy of that hehe.

Happy overclocking ;) 
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 5:18:43 PM

dyno0919 said:
It maxes out @ 49-52 in prime and 54-56 in LinX. To get it to 3.8 though I need 1.4875 vcore and it hits like 60 in prime. I know its under the safety (62) but I like to keep a safe distance away. Besides, I wouldn't really see any performance gain and I'm not one for showing off benchmarks.
And that's a pretty nice OC for a C2 dude. How'd you do it? Water? I don't see how you could possibly get it to 4.0 24/7 on air.

My C2 can do 4Ghz on Air and it stays at a constant 49/50c under LOAD. Back in december I was getting 27c/43c (at 3.8Ghz) but those days are gone :( 

Get a decent cooler and you will be able to achieve similar results ;) 

!