captainoats

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I recently got into folding. Heres the deal. I noticed while monitoring my temps that my motherboard is quite toasty than usual. 55c - 56c.

Im not sure it could be caused by my 285 coz its at 80-81c while folding. Ambient Temps are around 30ish. Pretty warm.

I think my normal mobo temps play at around 42c.

I have a overclocked Q6600 on air with Vendetta2 and a 3000rpm kaze.

Cores are a bit warmer than usual..I get 38c on the first two cores when the room is cool. Now while folding 44c while not even at 10% load.

MOBO is a 2yr old GA-P35C-DS3R rev1.x

Case is an Antec Twelve Hundred

3 intakes + 1 intake over one of the front intakes so almost 4 blowing into the case.

2 exhausts at the back 1 on the panel and the 200mm exhaust at the top of the case.

Im sure theres good airflow.

NORMAL situation or not?

Your temps look fine to me.
According to Intel's Data Sheet on your chipset, it is capable of handling 106°C.
The airflow looks good for your system and I would not worry to much about it.

How many PPD are you getting out of that rig?
I have been hearing the GTX 280/285 can pump out some massive numbers...

captainoats

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
as of now at stock shaders...well everything at vanilla stocks.. PPD 7806.49* as reported by FahMon 2.3.4. Folding using GPUv2 .. I reach 8.1k . but never passed 8.4k

As long as your CPU cooler can keep up, might as well.
If you are doing nothing to demanding other than folding, try running three CPU clients.
That should max out 3/4 of your CPU cores leaving the 4th to handle everything else.
You should be able to get an extra 600-1000PPD by doing this :sol:

captainoats

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
hmm..i have SMP working i max out all 4 cores...well they are all reported to be at 100% load already. thats using one SMP client. ur saying i should still open two more? will that work? I know it will work with the non SMP version. 1 core per client. yeah it could handle it.. temps are 50ish.. with a 3.0ghz OC.

captainoats

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
cool im at 8970PPD with SMP working..who u folding for? EVGA hehe? need the prizes.. need 100,00 to join the raffle..btw..thanks for ur input on my mobo temps.

Actually, if you use PriFinitty to raise your GPU client to high and drop the CPU client to low you will get the best results.
When the GPU client is set to a lower priority, the system will be slower providing it data/resources and your PPD will drop a little.

captainoats

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Prifinity.. thanks.. I'll try that out. For some reason I managed to get 9.6k PPD both SMP and a GPU Client. WHen i put my ear near my system, I hear a beep sound err squealing as they say lol. Ignoring at the moment hope it doesnt kick me in the butt in the future.. ahahah