AMD Phenom II X4 925 & Overdrive Limited On Adjustments???

mtmcrawford

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I have the X4 925 and when I am in Overdrive I do not have an option to raise the "cpu core multiplier, and the cpu vid voltage"above 14X it is maxed out preset and 1.325 voltage for cpu vid thats maxed too. I also didn't have some options in the bios to disable i.e., cool n' quiet, C1E, or fan control. Any help would be appreciated. My pc is a HP, 8GB mem, ATI 4650, 1TB WD HDD mostly used as HTPC and bluray but would love some help on this.
Thanks, Mike

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Unlocked multipliers are only on AMD "Black Edition" processors.

You can still OC the 925, but it takes more finagling.

Thats basically it. It's not supposed to be unlocked, because thats a function of AMDs higher end CPUs.

mtmcrawford

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Thanks Mcghee, So the constant drop in operation range as I watch it in overdrive at idle is an AMD thing? Under load it of course hits the 2800 sometimes 2900 mark. Any direction you could point me as to further investigate how to oc this thing would be very appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
BTW, I am not complaining about this processor, it is actually quite nice.

cmcghee358

Distinguished

Whats your BIOS? I think HP usually uses something called Phoenix BIOS, I dont know if its "smart" enough to recognize Cool n Quiet.

But honestly dont worry too much about CnQ, all it does is underclock the CPU when its idle. Thats not a bad thing. It will resume its normal max speed when the system is tasked with something that requires resources.

Because its an HTPC, you dont really need to OC it.

If you're bored and want to try, look at AMD overdrive and make note of your Hyper Transport frequency, should be like 1600-2000ish. Good rule of thumb is try to keep it in this range.

As you adjust your HT, which usually starts at 200 (x14=2800 MHz) your HT Frequency will start to increase, as it does, adjust its multipier down 1 to bring it back to its normal range.

Im not really going to get into adjusting your vCore, because it's really important to know your limits before messing with it. ANd honestly, I wouldnt want to fudge around with vCore on a stock HP CPU set up, your case's cooling is most likely minimal, and using a stock Heatsink Fan, its dangerous to touch vCore.

Your Bios is locked for a reason, pre-builts are not meant for overclocking.

The easiest way around this is to not even bother and replace with a "real" board.

HP OEM boards are very unstable when not used within the spec's, meaning if you find a way to unlock the Bios you void your warranty and have very little headroom to play with.

It's just not worth it, get a board that is compatible with your current hardware and replace. This can be done for less than 60.00$..

cmcghee358

Distinguished

And the case, as the HP case probably doesnt have adequate airflow.

Regardless its an HTPC, stock should be fine.

He obviously wants to OC something, I recommend a new build to enjoy tinkering with

mtmcrawford

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Thanks for the replies and help. It is not imperative to oc this machine as I mentioned before just was giving it a shot after several readings about the processor. The machine itself isn't bad at all for what it is. The case isn't horrible as it is vented very well and I did add a nice double fan and processor fan. I may end up replacing the mb just because, you know how it is when you get something in your head. I did purchase a ATI 5750 and new power supply today so getting a mb wouldn't be horrible. Other than these things I am pleased with the Bluray playback, AMD processor and 8GB's of mem too.
Again Thank You All, Mike