Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Core i7 920 Temperatures

Last response: in Overclocking
April 10, 2010 9:25:46 AM

Greetings,

I am using HWmonitor in order to monitor my systems temps and i kinda find the temps way too high, would be nice if someone with a similar machine could share his experience.

A bit about my system:
gpu: nvidia gtx 295
cpu: Core i7 920
mobo: intel DX58SO
ram: Kingston ddr3 1600

The case i am using is a silverstone raven RV01 and it has very good air-flow, the cpu cooling is stock.

Idle core(s) temps(according to HWmonitor)range from 44 to 47 Celcius(111-116 F), room temp is like 20-25 Celcius.

I've also noticed that ever since i 'overclocked' my ram to run @ 1600, i'm kinda getting higher CPU temps.
Had several issues with the ram before, according to kingston this particular ram( KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX )can run XMP profiles but i was never able to get it recognized by the mobo(tried with many different BIOS versions).Whenever i tried to set it manually, i was getting unsuccessful attempts and the pc would not boot.

Some user from the intel community forums suggested that i increase my QPI to 1.3(1.150 is default)and then some other user posted his XMP settings from a similar kingstom mem( KHX1600C9D3T1K3/6GX ) which were:

tCL 9
tRCD 9
tRP 9
tRAS 24
tWR 12
tRFC 88
tRRD 5
tWTR 6
tRTP 6

Uncore multiplier 24
DDR Multiplier 12
mem Voltage 1.66(can't selece 1.65)

The only setting that i didn't try was tRAS 24(i was trying to go with 27) and then the rest less 'siginificant' timings(12 88 5 6 6)anyway, my PC finally 'accepted' these settings.

Should also mention that i tried running Prime95 but the temps went up to 83-87C* within 30 mins of running the 'torture test' the CPU & Case fans started running @ 100% as well, so i guess we can exclude any possible fan issue.I was planning on letting it run for 7+ hours but i was afraid it might melt :p 

That is all, if you need any more info about this please let me know.

This has been plaguing me for quite some time now and i beg for your assistance :) 

More about : core 920 temperatures

Best solution

April 10, 2010 10:27:29 AM

You are using a stock cooler. There's your answer. Stock Intel coolers are better than they used to be, but the I7-920 is just a hot chip, and that's the bottom line. If you use the stock cooler your temp's will probably run pretty high. If you get an after market cooler you'll certainly notice an immediate temperature drop. I used the stock intel cooler on my i7-920 and with room temps very similar to your's I ran about 45 C on average. When I went with an after market one the temp dropped to around 35 C on idle. But the biggest improvement in the new cooler and where you'll see the most benefit is "load" temps. On Prime95 my temp skyrocketed to about 85 C, with the new one it dropped to around 60 C.
Feeling comfy with those temps I then overclocked to 3.6 GHz. Idle 36-41....load 65 to 70.
April 10, 2010 10:53:17 AM

I see, so it is normal for temps to rise as you increase the ram voltage? that question is burning me.. literally :p 

Okay, so i was thinking on getting an Akasa Nero AK967.. it's pretty cheap and heard it is quite good too.
Was planning on getting a Zalman CNPS9900 but i heard from my best friend that it is a nightmare to install..(have to remove everything and set it up again)

Any idea if the Akasa is easy to install?

Thanks for your answer by the way :) 
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2010 12:50:07 PM

murinus said:
I see, so it is normal for temps to rise as you increase the ram voltage? that question is burning me.. literally :p 

Okay, so i was thinking on getting an Akasa Nero AK967.. it's pretty cheap and heard it is quite good too.
Was planning on getting a Zalman CNPS9900 but i heard from my best friend that it is a nightmare to install..(have to remove everything and set it up again)

Any idea if the Akasa is easy to install?

Thanks for your answer by the way :) 

Unfortunately every good cooler Intel cooler I can think of is going to require you to install a bracket. Honestly it's not really that big of a pain. Think of it as an opportunity to also work on cable managment :) 
m
l
April 10, 2010 3:54:24 PM

That seems really hot to me with your chip at stock speeds. You shouldn't really need to raise the QPI voltage with your chip at stock speeds if your ram is rated to run at 1600mhz. If your worried about heat just set the ram at 1333mhz. You probably won't notice a difference at all. 1600mhz is really meant for overclocking the CPU anyway.
m
l
April 17, 2010 10:18:41 AM

Best answer selected by murinus.
m
l
!