Acronis True Image for a New Build

thusband

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
I need to upgrade my 5 year old system. After installing the new MB, larger HDs, CPU and video card would I be able to use True Image to restore everything I have now without major hiccups? Would there be licensing issues with Microsoft? Probably driver issues with a new video card I guess? I really don't want to reinstall XP and then all my software again as my current system runs very well. It just needs a little more oomph (technical term).

Thanks for any pointers.

Tom

Well to be honest, you new setup should be installed from scratch. Depending on which version of OS that you have, will really depend on what your options are.
Retail versions can be moved over to the new system without any issues. The OEM versions (hopefully you don't have a pre-built system) are supposed to stay with the original system. Now this doesn't mean that you could probably move it over to the newer rig, but by licensing agreements, your not supposed to. If you have a pre-built PC (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) than you probably only have "recovery" CD's and you will have to buy a new OS for your new rig.
* What is your current setup? Include make and models if you know.
* I haven't used Acronis before, so I can't comment on that.
* Did you have a budget for this new-ish build?
* Are any of the older parts being moved over the the build?
* What are you planing this rig for? gaming? surfing the web?
* Be aware that 99% of mobo's now only have 1 IDE slot on them, so if you are moving IDE drives over to the new build, you'll be limited to only 2 of them.
* You will more than likely need a new PSU, since yours is going to be outdated and probably not have the correct connectors for the newer parts.

thusband

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
Thanks, Iunyone, for the quick reply.
Current PC is home built about 5 years ago
XP Home is retail version
Used for digital imaging (Photoshop CS3, Lightroom 2, etc.) No gaming
I've just started looking into this so really need to do some homework.

Current set up is:
2866 megahertz Intel Pentium 4
AI7 (Intel i865-ICH5) 1.0
2048 Megabytes Installed Memory
Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3
LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S [CD-ROM drive]
WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0 (120.03 GB) drive 1
WDC WD1200JB-00GVA0 (120.03 GB) drive 0

The DVD is probably the only thing I'd like to move over. I'll need new larger drives, memory, and power supply. I'm more concerned with moving the OS and software over.

Thanks again,

Tom

thusband

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
Haven't even got that far yet but probably less than $800. Not having looked at hardware for several years I'm a bit out of touch.

Here is a similiar build that I just posted a bit ago. You can adjust whatever you like and we can make adjustments as needed.

CPU - $83 e5200, OC's to almost 4 gHz!!
Mobo - $120 - $20 MIR Gigabyte p45 mobo
RAM - $50 4gb's DDR2 800 mHz is all that you really need. Runs at stock 1.8 or 1.9v!!
HD - $70 WD 640 gb's HD AAKS version
Case - $54 Antec 300 (saving $ here to allow other parts to be bought)
PSU - $50 Antec 500w Earthwatts PSU, 34A on the combined 12v rails, >80% efficient!
GPU - $170 - $20 MIR = $150! 4850 512mb version would be a good selection.
OS - $80 Home Premium 64 bit
DVD Burner - ~$30 Just remember to get a RETAIL version, so you get the software to read/burn DVD's!

Total ~$700 - $40 MIR's = ~$660!!

Tom's Hardware build of e5200 OC'd to about 4 gHz w/4850 GPU

+1. Depending on what the OP needs he'll be able to get along with a 9800GT (<$100 on Newegg after MIR)

edit: Looks like the OP doesn't need a gaming build he can save $ on the GPU by getting a cheaper 3450 ($20) or so card. It also looks like the OP's going to use CS3 so 8GB RAM (also consider a SSD in RAID) might help if running 64bit.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Your idea will work in theory, but in the real world there will be lots of complications as the mbr, registry, and drivers for the other motherboard will still be on your system and conflicts will be inevitable.

Alot of people claim they have done it, and most come back wondering why their new rig is getting BSOD and running like crap.

Do yourself a favor and reinstall everything. It wont be that painful on good hardware.