Sign in with
Your question

NEW Overclocker, Best Fan for an i7-860?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 10, 2010 3:04:27 PM

So basically, I have never oced but I hear it is relatively simple. If I have to I can sit down and read all I need to but before I do, I just wanna ask. Is it worth overclocking the i7-860 from stock speed of 2.8GHz to like 3.6GHz? My specs are:

Intel i7 860 2.8Ghz Processor

4Gb Ripjaw 10666 DDR3 in dual Channel

Intel DP55WB Media Series P55 micro-ATX Core i7 Core i5 LGA1156

More about : overclocker fan 860

a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 1:58:09 PM

amoghthegamer said:
So basically, I have never OC'ed but I hear it is relatively simple. If I have to I can sit down and read all I need to but before I do, I just wanna ask. Is it worth overclocking the i7-860 from stock speed of 2.8GHz to like 3.6GHz? My specs are:

Intel i7 860 2.8Ghz Processor

4Gb Ripjaw 1066 DDR3 in dual Channel

Intel DP55WB Media Series P55 micro-ATX Core i7 Core i5 LGA1156

Hello :hello: 

That is how your post should have looked (Attention to detail!) OC'ing your CPU is a risky game. It can end up incredibly costly and inconvinient. You Could Cook A whole Lot of Components While Making A small Mistake In your BIOS. 2.8GHZ - 3.6 GHZ on Stock Cooling Is suicide. Your machine may last about Three minutes, Then you will smell burning silicone. Baby steps. try maybe 3.0Ghz once you have read up. Also look for monitoring applications like CPUID HWmonitor.

Good Luck And Keep us informed :D 
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 12:08:40 PM

Ignore "fisshy".

OCing your processor is not "a risky game" if you read guides and know what your doing. By monitoring your temperatures and not upping the voltage to much there is virtually no risk. And this will be explained in the guides you read.

Anyway, it depends what you are doing with your processor. An OC will cause a very nice performance increase in mainly CPU intensive tasks such as video encoding, for video encoding will cut encoding times majorly. With gaming you will not generally see a performance increase unless you are running high end graphics where the CPU is bottlenecking them.

Oh I see your also looking for a aftermarket heat sink, the CoolerMaster 212+ is a good cooler for the money and should suit you well.

Hope I helped.

[EDIT] Oh and to "fisshy" I suggest you LURK MOAR
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 12:51:01 PM

As suggested before, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus will suffice for a 3.6GHz overclock, but if you want to go higher, you should try something like a Prolimatech Megahalems or Thermalright Venomous-X.
!