Need urgent help regarding motherboard/processor compatibility

thedeadmonky

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Hello all, I am in urgent need of purchasing a new processor, and I was going to go and buy one within the day.

My eye is on the "AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor " (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471) and my only concern is whether or not it will work on my current motherboard. My Dell is about 3 years old now, and I'm not sure if buying the processor will be a wast of money.

The motherboard is a Dell model 0M3918
intel i915P/915G chipset
it also has a PCI-express

I'm not sure where to find more data about the motherboard regarding any sockets it has sooo Theres not much more data I can include.

anyhelp would be extremely appreciated! thank you!

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I'm pretty sure the intel 915G chipset wont support any of the quad core processors. I dont even think it will support a core 2 duo, although it "might" work with the e4500, e4600 allendale chips. you are limited to an 800MHz front side bus with that chip set. According to the Intel website, the only CPU's mentioned as associated with 915p/g are P4's

thedeadmonky

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
alright...so looks like I need a new motherboard then as mine apparently is biting the dust. Are there any recommendations for an AMD motherboard to go with the amd processor I mentioned before, or an Intel motherboard for an Intel processor i mentioned....on a relatively cheap side. I just want a board that can be compatible with one of those two processors i want, my 8600gt card and my 2.5g of ram

thedeadmonky

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
so are you saying even with my crappy motherboard its worth it to buy a processor thats compatible with my current board? Cause I was thinking i could buy a cheap intel board that will be compatible with a high end processor