Video memory for 1920x1200

Hello people of Toms, I have a quick question.
I've decided on all the components for my new machine but have yet to pick a video card. I have a 24" Samsung and am looking to run games at 1920x1200 with eye candy.

Now, I've narrowed it down to these three cards (all prices in CAD):
HD4870 512MB - $225 after rebate
GTX 260 896MB - $245
HD4870 1GB - $278 after rebate

Which of these cards would be the best choice?
Thanks in advance.

Rest of my specs:
Q6600 @ 3.0ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
2x2GB OCZ DDR2 800 Platinum
PC Power and Cooling 750W
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
500GB WD Black
Pioneer DVD Burner
Lian-Li PC-7B
17 answers Last reply
More about video memory 1920x1200
  1. if you want to crossfire in the future then pick up one of the 4870's, but (OPINION ALERT) if you aren't planning of crossfire i would go with the 260, i much prefer nVidia's drivers
  2. Personally i would go for the GTX260 probably try a decent vendor though like a BFG or EVGA, i got a 8800GTX by XFX got it for a good deal at the time about a 100GBpounds would have went for something with a bit more kick if i had the cash im running most my games at 1600x1050 and seems to be quite decent, if i where you tho i would try and go with a Overclocked version they do like the maxcore(if you got the cash), and by the way if you go for the ATI theres are decent article on here about it and the vendors (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-4870-palit,review-31472.html). Anyways Good Luck...
  3. kyeana said:
    if you want to crossfire in the future then pick up one of the 4870's, but (OPINION ALERT) if you aren't planning of crossfire i would go with the 260, i much prefer nVidia's drivers

Thanks.

But aside from crossfire and drivers, which would be the best choice? How important is video memory at this resolution?
  4. OmegaStalker said:
    Personally i would go for the GTX260 probably try a decent vendor though like a BFG or EVGA, i got a 8800GTX by XFX got it for a good deal at the time about a 100GBpounds would have went for something with a bit more kick if i had the cash im running most my games at 1600x1050 and seems to be quite decent, if i where you tho i would try and go with a Overclocked version they do like the maxcore(if you got the cash), and by the way if you go for the ATI theres are decent article on here about it and the vendors (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-4870-palit,review-31472.html). Anyways Good Luck...

Thanks, and I've read the article.
  5. GTX260 physx a decent option to invest in and always possible SLI if your serious, go Nvidia you know it makes sense ;=)...
  6. And at high res memory makes a big difference but dont be fooled by the numbers it depends on how it uses the memory at hand, theres a wide range of issues you need to compare first... i think you need to choose your vendors and versions of the cards (i advise against the 4870 512 version for future proofing reasons...)
  7. except that he can't sli on that mobo, its only crossfire capable.

I dont know which one is better. I vaguely remember some benchmarks that i thought put the 4870 and 260 trading blows depending on the games, but i could be mistaken and a bunch of new drivers have come out anyways. I would just google for benchmarks
  8. but i do agree with OmegaStalker, if you go with ATI get the 4870 1gig version (especially if you dont plan on crossfiring)
  9. Thanks for the info guys.
    At this point, I'm learning more toward the 260.
    Why should I stay away from the MSI one? Its about $40 cheaper than the evga equivalent and has the same specs.
  10. Also, how are the nvidia drivers on vista x64?
  11. Its just customer support. EVGA has lifetime warrenty and you will never have to worry about them trying to rip you off or leave you hanging etc. In fact if you have an older card that dies they will often upgrade it to a newer generation of card for free. If you can afford it i would recommend getting the EVGA card
  12. Specially with the newest drivers, the 4870 is greater than or equal to the 260. (Aside from flight simulator, which I'm still pissed about.)
  13. Thanks for all your help, guys.
  14. Eventually when i can afford some more power under my hood and decide to upgrade my OEM mobo i'l probs buy a 260 or another two 8800GTX and run them in tri-SLI i'm not sure yet but i am extreamly impressed by my GTX runs far-cry2 really well, lol first turning my 2GB into 4, lol dont judge me i'm still running on a student budget and well between food and gf i have a penny income a month lol =P... *grunts*lucky rich sods with all your fancy i7s and 16gb ram grrr*end grunt*
  15. save your money until end of January - beginning of February and buy your self the nvidia 295(if you like nvidia but it cost roughly 500$, the same amount if you where to run sl or xfire) or the ati 4870x2 which will most likely be sold for sub 450$
  16. who really cares about support and warranties though? if you were concerned about that you should get a Dell... imo get the cheapest 4870 1GB you can find.
  17. javimars said:
    save your money until end of January - beginning of February and buy your self the nvidia 295(if you like nvidia but it cost roughly 500$, the same amount if you where to run sl or xfire) or the ati 4870x2 which will most likely be sold for sub 450$

I can't afford that, I'm still in high school.

At this point I'll probably go with the MSI 260. It has a 3 year warranty and is in my price range. I just can't justify spending another $40 for small performance gains.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics