comptonassneil

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I've had a few problems with my newly built PC. Most of them i've ignored but its starting to get worse. At first anytime i'd move my PC from my house to a friends house, it would blue screen of death me. Finally, after i stopped moving it, it stopped. Now, it's doing this thing where it'll freeze up, or the start menu will dissapear if i leave my computer idle for too long, yet the mouse will still move. Ive had a few instances where its turned on and said cannot load OS or something, or Boot Disk Error, or whatever it is. But i just checked the connections to the hdd and restarted and it came back. Do i just need a fresh reformat? Maybe my dvd-rom is going bad and its not installing everything it needs to? If you have any advice it would be much appreciated.

I would run a battery of tests on the unit, starting with some hard disk diagnostics and then running memtest. You can find them both in one place here:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Agreed frozenlead.

It could be a number of things, and the UBCD is a great resource.

I would check the HDD - there are plenty of free HDD diagnostics that utilize SMART technology.

Good luck

comptonassneil

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
i've never used this utility before.. Do I just burn it to a CD, and boot from CD? also, I could only find the beta for v5.0, will this be okay to use?