Nickand5

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I built my own system about a year ago and now have a serious problem with it. I came home to find it powered off. I pressed the power button on the front of the system and the fans start to turn, and then it stops. The power light is lit up on the motherboard, and goes off when I unplug the system, but when I turn it on the fans start and then stop and nothing. I replaced the power supply with a new one and when I turned it, I experienced the same exact thing!! What do I do next? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nick

vitiris71

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Reseat the cards and memory make sure nothing is loose, a loose video card / memory might power it down. Also its possible the Motherboard is dead. based on what your saying it wasnt working with either of the 2 powersupplies, try putting the original one back in are you sure you you connected everything back up.

Nickand5

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I reseated all the cards and memory modules. There is an LED light on the motherboard that is green and above it is says "NORMAL" and this light is lit up when I turn on the power supply. Is there a way to tell if the motherboard is dead? Thanks again, Nick

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I COME FROM THE INTERNETS AND I BRING SERIOUS HELP TO THIS THREAD!

damn, I wish I had a nice picture to add to this thread.

Aaaaanyway, your motherboard is dead. Either that or you didn't plug in all of the wires properly. Most likely a dead mobo though. Lucky for you, christmas is coming and so are the good deals!

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Next step is to remove anything you don't need to have in there, leave just the memory and video card and see it you can get it to post. IF it does, start putting devices back online...

If it doesn't, swap the memory chips with someone, or at least trade which memory chip is in which slot (trying to exclude ram).

next would be swapping out motherboard or cpu ...

colthorn

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Take the board out and try running it out of the case. There could be a short. Sounds like the board may be fubar....

Grant1872x

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I had the same problem, It was a HDD failure, take that out and see wat happens :) Honestly, try that first, it's easy and will save u from buying stuff u dont need!

:) Hope u get it fixed pal :) I bring good luck to you lol :p

Nickand5

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Thanks all for your help! I was convinced it was my motherboard and started to remove items from it since they would have to come off anyway. After I pulled the graphics card, I tried to start it and it worked fine. The card is still under warranty and a new one is on the way. Thanks again, Nick

Good thing he didn't listen to you. :pfff: I can't believe how people come on these forums and make an uneducated guess like "your motherboard is dead" without any troubleshooting at all. A problem like this can be just about anything. It takes a process of elimination, not just a guess. I'm glad the OP was smart enough not to replace his perfectly fine motherboard.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008

Oh make me cry. Trying to diagnose a PC over forums using an inexperienced user's explanation of what he sees is pretty unreliable. A video card failure usually happens gradually with tell-tales signs such as horizontal (or vertical) colored lines over the screen, artefacts, freezes, etc. It is pretty rare that a catastrophic failure happens suddenly and that it would not affect the motherboard as well (or at least the connector). On the other hand, a motherboard failure happens about the same way as what he described (I had an old 200mhz computer fail on me like that). For the guy that said a hdd might be the culprit, I would've answered that the screen would've most likely indicated that at the POST stage.