Handspring Visor Upgrade

June 11, 2005 4:57:17 AM

Is it possible to upgrade the OS in Handspring Visor PDAs, specifically
the Platinum model?
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 12:55:46 PM

"InkBlot" <InkBlot@ink.ink.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to upgrade the OS in Handspring Visor PDAs, specifically
> the Platinum model?

Not really (I suppose it might be possible to run an upgrade from RAM but
this isn't really what Handspring had in mind). It uses PalmOS 3.5.3H,
right? Moving to PalmOS 4.x won't provide startling benefits, and you can't
run PalmOS 5 on a Dragonball processor.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

In article <mGxqe.20664$cN2.19476@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
"DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> "InkBlot" <InkBlot@ink.ink.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to upgrade the OS in Handspring Visor PDAs, specifically
> > the Platinum model?
>
> Not really (I suppose it might be possible to run an upgrade from RAM but
> this isn't really what Handspring had in mind). It uses PalmOS 3.5.3H,
> right? Moving to PalmOS 4.x won't provide startling benefits, and you can't
> run PalmOS 5 on a Dragonball processor.

I believe you are correct - Palm OS 3.5.3H. Sadly, it looks like I am
running a dead end PDA, especially since it is getting harder to find
expansion cards, etc. for it.
June 11, 2005 11:18:35 PM

> In article <mGxqe.20664$cN2.19476@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
> "DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> "InkBlot" <InkBlot@ink.ink.com> wrote in message
>> > Is it possible to upgrade the OS in Handspring Visor PDAs, specifically
>> > the Platinum model?
>>
>> Not really (I suppose it might be possible to run an upgrade from RAM but
>> this isn't really what Handspring had in mind). It uses PalmOS 3.5.3H,
>> right? Moving to PalmOS 4.x won't provide startling benefits, and you
>> can't
>> run PalmOS 5 on a Dragonball processor.
>
> I believe you are correct - Palm OS 3.5.3H. Sadly, it looks like I am
> running a dead end PDA, especially since it is getting harder to find
> expansion cards, etc. for it.

It's only "dead end" if you have something you must do that it won't run on
the device. The Visor has never been compatible with a newer version of the
operating system but you know, for most people, it's just not an issue...

<thinks: hmm, Visor Platinum, nice device>

Where are you in the world? :)

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

In article <fOGqe.21055$cN2.3737@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
"DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> "InkBlot" <InkBlot@ink.ink.com> wrote in message
> > In article <mGxqe.20664$cN2.19476@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
> > "DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "InkBlot" <InkBlot@ink.ink.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Not really (I suppose it might be possible to run an upgrade from RAM but
> >> this isn't really what Handspring had in mind). It uses PalmOS 3.5.3H,
> >> right? Moving to PalmOS 4.x won't provide startling benefits, and you
> >> can't
> >> run PalmOS 5 on a Dragonball processor.
> >
> > I believe you are correct - Palm OS 3.5.3H. Sadly, it looks like I am
> > running a dead end PDA, especially since it is getting harder to find
> > expansion cards, etc. for it.
>
> It's only "dead end" if you have something you must do that it won't run on
> the device. The Visor has never been compatible with a newer version of the
> operating system but you know, for most people, it's just not an issue...
>
> <thinks: hmm, Visor Platinum, nice device>
>
> Where are you in the world? :)

As a college student in Missouri, the Visor Platinum is a very nice
device to have. However, I'm a music student, and would like more
composition options than cryptic, file editing. I'm not looking for a
full-blown MIDI sequencer, though that would be nice! If you know of
any small MIDI editors and/or notation software that will run on the
Platinum, please, let me know.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:07:01 AM

> In article <fOGqe.21055$cN2.3737@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
> "DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> "InkBlot" <InkBlot@ink.ink.com> wrote in message

>> > I believe you are correct - Palm OS 3.5.3H. Sadly, it looks like I am
>> > running a dead end PDA, especially since it is getting harder to find
>> > expansion cards, etc. for it.
>>
>> It's only "dead end" if you have something you must do that it won't run
>> on
>> the device. The Visor has never been compatible with a newer version of
>> the
>> operating system but you know, for most people, it's just not an issue...
>>
>> <thinks: hmm, Visor Platinum, nice device>
>>
>> Where are you in the world? :)
>
> As a college student in Missouri, the Visor Platinum is a very nice
> device to have. However, I'm a music student, and would like more
> composition options than cryptic, file editing. I'm not looking for a
> full-blown MIDI sequencer, though that would be nice! If you know of
> any small MIDI editors and/or notation software that will run on the
> Platinum, please, let me know.

Blimey. Not really my field, I'm tone deaf, heh. :-/

I guess you've tried the usual haunts, including the freeware sites
(www.freewarepalm.com) yeah?

Google brings these up:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UT...

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

In article <Vt1re.19730$%21.6194@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
"DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> "InkBlot" <InkBlot@ink.ink.com> wrote in message
> > In article <fOGqe.21055$cN2.3737@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
> > "DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> > As a college student in Missouri, the Visor Platinum is a very nice
> > device to have. However, I'm a music student, and would like more
> > composition options than cryptic, file editing. I'm not looking for a
> > full-blown MIDI sequencer, though that would be nice! If you know of
> > any small MIDI editors and/or notation software that will run on the
> > Platinum, please, let me know.
>
> Blimey. Not really my field, I'm tone deaf, heh. :-/
>
> I guess you've tried the usual haunts, including the freeware sites
> (www.freewarepalm.com) yeah?

Yeah. Been there. Done that. No luck. I have seen a Springboard
Module, Beat Plus, which is a MIDI synthesizer. However, I don't
believe it is being produced any longer.
!