Sign in with
Your question

IDE Master not detected after new SATA HD install

Last response: in Motherboards
April 4, 2009 1:22:36 PM

Hi All,
Just installed a second SATA hard drive (Hitachi Deskstar). Mobo is Asus P5LD2-VM. Only IDE device is the DVD drive. After installing the new HD got message that No IDE Master detected, and asking for boot disc. (I never made a boot disc, foolishly I guess!) I went into Bios and saw that the Plextor DVD drive is listed as master. Decided to reconnnect the SATA plugs from the hard drives, since the original was in the SATA 3 slot. Now I have my old one with the OS on SATA1 and the new one on SATA2. But still get the No IDE master, please insert boot disc message.
Is there a way to fix this through the BIOS or any other way?
Thanks,
Larry
April 11, 2009 11:43:13 PM

How was this solved? I am having the same issue and haven't had any luck finding a solution. I have two DVD drives and the one hard drive, all SATA. I have the hard drive set to first boot priority. No IDE Master message pops up, then after I hit F1 the Vista boot option shows up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
April 12, 2009 2:07:58 PM

I did a few things--chief being redoing the boot priority. It seemed to default back to my disc drive. I also simply redid all the connections--I often find any error it a loose for forgotten connection. In this case, I think one of my SATA connections might not have been secure at first--it was one of the cable ends without the clips. One other thought--did you insert your original HD into a different SATA plug than it was in originally? Just a thought. BTW, mine was an XP machine, not Vista.
Hope this helps.
!