WD6000 Velociraptor availability

rostanek

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Although reviewed a month ago, product appears to be hard to find. Any idea as to the ETA; I've got a build on hold...

sub mesa

Distinguished
Can i ask why you want one? If you really want something fast for your system drive, why not opt for SSD instead?

IMO the new velociraptors are only suitable to gamers who can't store their 10GB games on SSDs yet due to pricing, but still want reasonable performance.

If you are not a gamer, the Velociraptor may not be your best buy.

rostanek

Distinguished
May 12, 2010

Sub Mesa:

Very good points. Scarred by memories of too small a primary SCSI drive in an earlier machine, I guess.

Planning a Photoshop/music editing grinder that must massage some big, big files and so I wanted a decently sized fast primary drive. Debated either a 256GB SSD or giving up and going to a premium 7200 drive in the 1 TB class. (Any suggestions in either case would be welcomed.)

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise and perspective.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Alright so this is a 'designer' PC handling apps like Photoshop and you want good performance with big files. For that function, you do not absolutely need an SSD. You could use several HDDs too:

1) system disk (small HDD)
2) source disk (photoshop reads from this disk)
3) destination disk (photoshop writes to this disk)

This would be an optimal setup; at least 3 HDDs all dedicated to a different function. System I/O cannot slow down the I/O done by photoshop on the dedicated drives.

To get more sequential speed, you can opt to RAID0 the source or destination drives. So an alternative setup would be:

1) system drive (small HDD or SSD)
2) source drive (RAID0 array of 2 HDDs)
3) destination drive (RAID0 array of 2 HDDs)

That would require 4HDDs+SSD or 5HDDs.