Howmuch to consider the Physx factor?

rogue_shah

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Hey I intend to purchase a high end Card...like ati 4850 or nvidia 9800GTX + for gaming purpose
should the fact that NVIDIA is supporting the Physix phenomenon in new games (after acquiring ageia) be given any weightage when deciding which company to swing to?

Thanks in advance.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
well both nvidia and ati have there advantages for ex ati support dx 10.1 which will support some of dx11 features. On the other hand nvidia physics makes games supporting physics look great. If your a fan of ut3, mirror edge, etc then go with the nvidia cards.

Perhaps picking the best graphics card for the job would be the most important thing for you to do.

Considering the price of the true PPU PhysX cards right now, it'd be best to pick the best graphics card and then add a PhysX card and not spike your CPU as much as using a GPU as a PPU.

But at this time, the weight I would give it is on the low end of the scale.

The implementation is still very immature even in Mirror's edge and UT3, perhaps the new year will bring more, but I'd spend $50 more on a faster GPU and/or faster CPU, than getting a second card to act as a PPU right now.