Sign in with
Your question

Successfully overclocked my GPU, now GPU Bios flash

Last response: in Overclocking
April 11, 2010 10:39:27 PM

I overclocked my 9800 gt default 500/900/1375 with 700/1100/1750. I use EVGA precision tool. Now I want to write these settings to GPU bios to be permanently. I read the post about modding, and(this might sound silly) I do not have floppy drive, and therefore I cannot make start up disk. I read almost everything on the internet on how to make USB ms-dos startup disk, but nothing worked for me. So I ask someone, anyone to point me, to help me how to make this god damn USB start up disk.

TnX

P.S I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64
April 12, 2010 2:04:55 PM

Why can't you do it? What are the symptoms? Btw. you'd better buy a cheap floppy drive and get it done. Simple and stressless.
April 12, 2010 3:15:14 PM

szymek said:
Why can't you do it? What are the symptoms? Btw. you'd better buy a cheap floppy drive and get it done. Simple and stressless.

You are right. First thing that I am going to do is to get floppy drive, because to make boot-able ms-dos usb is impossible.

TnX
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2010 10:26:15 AM

Did you change your boot priority so that USB is before HDD? Just checking, as I had major fail at making a bootable USB because I forgot that part a few years ago. It was a facepalm moment, indeed.
April 13, 2010 10:45:25 AM

Yes I changed. I bought a floppy drive, so I will perform update process via floppy disk. But I cannot understand why I cannot do it with usb :S. Thanks to all for your help I appreciate that.

Tnx
April 13, 2010 11:41:41 AM

Hi,

maybe a bootable dos cd could do the job too. You just need to add your files to it or burn them to another cd and swap it after the pc is booted.

Brad
April 13, 2010 11:45:26 AM

That idea cross my mind, but if you edit the cd i think that you will loose the boot sector of it. I am not sure, I am guessing. Ah that damn usb :D .

Peace
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 K Overclocking
April 13, 2010 1:28:19 PM

Unfortunately this has to be done with either an internal Floppy drive or an External USB Floppy Drive that is Microsoft compatible, it cannot be done with a USB flash disk.

I strongly urge you to be fully self educated before you Flash you GPUs bios and understand and have no doubts as to what you need to do to accomplish this, if it goes bad you need to know how to resolve that.

I suggest you do this on a battery backup UPS system as a power loss or surge or brown out, could have disastrous results if it happens during the flashing process.

I have personally BIOS flashed many graphics cards, Nvidia and ATI, and have never had a bad flash, I wasn't able to recover from.

I always prepare by having a backup of the original BIOS on hand, and 2 or 3 copies of the proposed BIOS to flash, just in case of Floppy media failure, and a secondary graphics card to recover from a bad flash.
April 13, 2010 1:34:38 PM

Thanks for the tip. I have UPS 1000W Mustek, so on that side I am secure. I have the original bios on one floppy, and the modified on the other one. I hope that I would not need the original, but if I do, i will have it prepared.

I will keep posting my progress.

Peace
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 K Overclocking
April 13, 2010 1:42:52 PM

If you have any questions ask first, before you proceed, make sure you have no doubts before you do this.

You'll have to unlock the BIOS before you can flash it and once you do that, you may as well go for it, as your Graphics card manufacturer will know what you've done and your warranty if its still under warranty is gone.
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 K Overclocking
April 13, 2010 1:46:39 PM

FYI; If you're running a SLI setup with a 2nd GPU remove the 2nd card until you're sure the BIOS flash is what you want or the flashing process will automatically flash the second card after the first is done.
April 13, 2010 1:51:45 PM

4Ryan6 said:
FYI; If you're running a SLI setup with a 2nd GPU remove the 2nd card until you're sure the BIOS flash is what you want or the flashing process will automatically flash the second card after the first is done.

I am not running SLI. I will follow the these instructions: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/252251-11-nvidia-bi.... But you confused me a little :) . You mention that I have to unlock the VGA bios. I never saw nor read something about this. So little help will be required :D 
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 K Overclocking
April 13, 2010 2:12:35 PM

Here's your real source of information as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.mvktech.net/
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 K Overclocking
April 13, 2010 2:19:33 PM

Theres always a possibility its already unlocked, but if it isn't unlocked you won't flash it until it is unlocked.
!