Sign in with
Your question

Need an explination about downnload speeds.

Tags:
  • Article Discussion
  • Download
Last response: in Toms Network
January 7, 2010 5:39:41 PM

I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but maybe someone here can help me.

I have Comcast, and I pay for 12mb/s download speeds.

What does that actually mean though, 12mb/s?

Does that mean a 60mb file will take 5 seconds to download?

I recently tried to download a 5mb file and it says it was downloading at 26kb/s, and it took about 4 minutes to download.

I also went on Speedtest and it said I was getting 3.5mb/s download speeds.

I am pretty confused on this subject. Am I getting what I am paying for? Or is something not working right?

More about : explination downnload speeds

Anonymous
January 7, 2010 9:09:45 PM

If speedtest says you're only getting 3.5mb/s and you're paying Comcast for 12mb/s, you're not getting what you're paying for. Do you have router?
m
l
January 13, 2010 2:07:31 PM

12mb = 12mbits, 12MB = 12mbytes

12mbit = 1.5mbyte

Also, you may want to try you speeds on different sites. You're only as strong as your weakest link and if you can download 12mb/sec and you try to download a file from someone on a 56k modem, i somehow dought you'll get you top speed.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2010 11:15:45 PM

ALso Comcast will sell it as UP TO 12mb\s so it can be anywhere up to that speed ! - to test your actual speed run several speedtests to different sites and see what the maximum speed and avg. speed you get - If it never gets anywhere close to 12mb\s then call Comcast and tell them what speeds you are getting and see what they say about it.

for example I'm on AT&T's U-verse MAx which is 18mb\s download and 1.5mb\s upstream and here is my latest speedtest result :

m
l
January 19, 2010 11:22:14 PM

I pay for 1mb/5mb. My ISP recently added a speedboost. Claims 20mbit boost, seems to last ~10 seconds and resets after 30sec.

I'm happy with it. Decent for $30 i-net in my small town.
m
l
January 19, 2010 11:35:30 PM

Kewlx25 said:
I pay for 1mb/5mb. My ISP recently added a speedboost. Claims 20mbit boost, seems to last ~10 seconds and resets after 30sec.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/688154703.png

I'm happy with it. Decent for $30 i-net in my small town.

Yea - speed boost is nice if you do alot of small downloads since it will make a big difference in the download time unfortunately the boost only lasts a short time so on larger files it only helps a little.

we pay $55 a month for our service @ 18\1.5 which works great for us with 3 computers using the connection most of the time the slower services just couldn't keep up when you have 3 systems all browsing and downloading things so was worth the extra cost.
m
l
April 1, 2010 9:37:30 AM

may be u should check ur router or contact ur isp
m
l
April 13, 2010 4:49:27 AM

I see far more Acer, HP, Compaq, and Dell Notebook in my shop for servicing than I do Toshiba or Lenovo products. Then again, this might just mean there is a greater volume the other brands in my area in general.

Yoga Massage
m
l
!