Blocking wireless access to single comp on router.

I was wondering if there is a way to basically turn off my daughters web access at a set time each night ? If possable i would like to put some parental content guards on it as well (she's 15 :cry: :pt1cable: :sweat: :ouch: ) Also it would be nice to stop my pc slowing to a crawl when she is online as i think she may be getting most of the bandwidth.
I am running with a standard SKY netgear Router and as such i guess these things would need to be done at a software level on her PC.
Any sugestions as to a set of apps or a program that will do this ?

Thanks
Mactronix

n3f0ur

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
That's called Access Control in networking. Most home routers have this function. What's your make & model?

Unfortunately, consumer routers can't do traffic shaping/throttling. Unless you mod it. It can be done for free. The router must be compatible. Punch in your model:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html

Or you can google "Traffic Shaping windows xp" w/o the quotes. The best one I've used is paid:

http://www.cfos.de/speed/cfosspeed_e.htm

I use NTFS so I can set the read/execute permission to deny for one user in Windows. My family hasn't found it yet. :) This is a great program with lots of customization. I hide everything including the startup icon & pop-ups. But since I got DD-WRT, I don't need it anymore. I'm doing it on a router-level by limiting everyone's speed except me (my MAC address).

The Router box says it a Netgear DG934G-1SKUKS As i said standard issue from SKY.

I guess there could be a way to configure her wireless adapter to a lower speed ?

I will put the Model into the link you provided and see what comes up.
The Trafic shaping search seem sintent on Networking solutions which would mean the connection had to run through my PC first ? Which if thats right isnt happening, she has total wireless access.

Mactronix

Well i found the setting in the adapter that lets me control speed. It was set to run at best speed which it said was 54mbps. Am i correct in thinking this is 5.4 meg ?
I have set it to 24 now and may drop it further if my main PC dosent show speed improvements when she is on line later.

Mactronix

n3f0ur

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Tech-speak, everything is a computer. Router is too. Just missing a harddisk/optical disk. The DD-WRT is a router firmware that runs on a compatible router.

5.4Mbps is still too fast unless she pays for the bill. 50-100Kbps down is more like it. It feels like dial-up. That's the point. Makes the user not sit around all day on the computer.