Remote assistance issue

April 5, 2004 11:38:38 PM

I've seen this question asked before and not answered successfully, so I'll
try it again.

In essence, when I try to request remote assistance from my XP pro machine,
I get an error box that in its title bar says "Microsoft Internet Explorer".
The text in the box is "A program could not start.Please try again."
There's an area called "Support" at the left of the Help and Support center
window which is blank, and I don't think it's supposed to be.

If I click OK in the error box, everything goes OK until I click on Send
Invitation (or save it). Then I get another error box, again titled
"Microsoft Internet Explorer" saying "Remote Assistance failed. Please try
again."

I've been able to give remote assistance from this machine, I'm the only
user of this machine and my username is in the administrator's group. I
don't know of any group policy that's preventing this thing from running.
I've run ntregmon and ntfilemon during these occurrances and can't find
anything that suggests that some necessary program is lost. I've run sfc
/scannow, looked at the event logs, tried editing group policies.

If anybody out there has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate hearing them.
Thanks
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 11:00:30 PM

This is a long shot, but try this:

(WARNING: If you haven't worked with the registry before, take a look at
this first -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986)

Go to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Ole\

Look for an "EnableDCOM" value. It should be set to "Y". (If it is missing
or is set to "N", that would explain this problem.)

--
Please reply in newsgroup.

news:o bb5tc2GEHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

!