Sign in with
Your question

Need help with audio for HD 3870 & choosing between 2 gfx cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 25, 2008 11:05:27 PM

Hi all, im new here so i hope everyone can help me out :) 

first of all i have a HIS ICEQ Radeon HD 3870 overclocked edition. For more info please look here:
http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-35.shtml

I've installed the latest ATI drivers already, i keep up to date with all my drivers every month. Currently i have ATI 8.12 installed, I downloaded from here in case you ask:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/ra...

anyway i like to play games on my Plasma 50' and i have hooked up a DVI to HDMI adapter to my 3870, and then hook up a HDMI cable from my card to my TV. Everything works fine, but i was doing some research and found out that most HD 3XXX & 4XXX series can support audio through the card or something like that? How do i do that? I'm currently using 7.1 surround speakers connected to my sound card but i would like to try the audio just from the gfx card itself, can someone tell me how? I think i've already setup it correctly since HDMI supports both video & audio but i don't get any sound from it.....

And secondly, i need help choosing a new gfx card. I live in New Zealand so i will be only using this site, please don't give me sites like Neweggs or anything else to compare the prices etc, i won't be ordering from overseas coz that takes at least 1 week and i don't trust those stuff, so please just use this site to help me.

http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html

anyway i only got about $300 to spend on a new gfx card and that is max. I can't go $50 more, maybe $330 will be acceptable but that's the max limit. All those prices on the site i posted above are in NZD.

Anyway im thinking of getting a 9800GT 1GB or a HD 4850 512mb. I know that 9800GT is just a repackaged 8800GT, but it's got a new feature in it though. Funny thing is, it's actually cheaper than the 8800GT on that site, i don't know why lol.

Also i know the the 4850 is better, i've done a lot of research and read a lot of reviews and charts and 4850 smokes the 9800GT.........the thing is, i like gaming on a big screen, so will that 9800GT with 1GB be a better choice or the 4850 512mb be a better choice? The 9800GT is also slightly cheaper as well by $10 or so.......

the 9800GT is $290 (inc GST), and the HD4850 is $299 (inc GST). Those are the cheapest prices for the cards i've found. Anyway i probably only play at 1330*768 as the max resolution so will the 4850 do? I might be wrong about the exact resolution but it's around that. Please help me.
December 27, 2008 3:29:41 AM

Welcome to the forums. To get answers from the peeps in this section ask one graphics card related question at a time. You right about the 4850 and the 9800gt. But for future proof get the best graphic card you can afford
December 27, 2008 3:44:14 AM

Gaming on big screens means nothing you can get away with a fx5200 on a 40" but at extremely low resolutions. Gaming at high resolutions needs fast ram. If 19×10 is the max resolution 512vram vs 1 gig isn't much different. Don't worry the 98gt will run outa steam before the 4850 hits the memory wall.
!