swopenn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I have a CM Hyper 212 on my i7 930. It came with one fan, which I have going at 1600rpm pushing air over the heatsink toward the back of the case where there is an exhaust fan. I just bought a Noctua NF-P12 fan (the fan from the NH-U12P heatsink, 54cfm at 19.8dB) to attach to the other side of the heat sink, but my ASUS P6X58D Prem mobo only has 1 CPU_FAN 4-pin connector, so how do attach the second CPU fan to the mobo to enable me to control its speed? I intend to overclock to 4GHz. If I power the fan directly from the power supply, I have no fan control. Is there some sort of splitter that would let me run both fans off the one mobo 4-pin port? That seems like it would draw too much power from 1 jack.

The case is the CM ATCS 840 Full tower. I could unplug a case fan from the mobo, power it off the power supply, and use a case fan mobo jack, but then the fan control wouldn't know how to properly adjust it with cpu temp. Any solutions?

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Yes there are "Y" adapters. NOCTUA includes one in their Model 14 (have one). I power both fans from the single cpu head. An alternate solution is to power 1 from the cpu connection and the other from any available other point on the mb. By the way, both my fans run full speed all the time. My i920 stays nice and cool at 4ghz.

randomkid

Distinguished
Take a pick from the options here. Just make sure you pick those with 4PINs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=y+fan+cable&x=20&y=33

But if you can get this one, the better because PWM control is split to up to 3 CPU FANS but it draws power from MOLEX from your PSU thereby removing the danger of overloading your motherboard's CPU FAN header.
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Cooling/FanAccessories/Akasa/AK-CB002.html

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Like DogSnake said, you may only have one 4-pin header labeled as "CPU Fan", but you should have multiple 4-pin fan headers. Just because it isn't labeled "CPU Fan" doesn't mean you can't run a fan on it that is attached to your CPU cooler.

I do like the splitter that randomkid linked, using molex for the power and the CPU fan header strictly for rpm feedback/control. Sounds like a great option if you want to connect lots and lots of fans. I can imagine some ridiculous air cooling designs/mods using these splitters to have 3 PWM fans connected to each 4-pin header on the MB.

randomkid

Distinguished

I have never seen a motherboard with more than one 4-pin header. All I've seen have one 4-PIN and all the others are 3 PINs.
Please share which motherboard have this multiple 4-PIN fan if you know of anyone.