Need Help with temps. athlon II x4 630

miked83

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Hi all. I just built my first rig so definitely a newb. I'm running x4 630 w/ stock hs/f. 500 hdd. asus m4784 evo board. no graphics card.1 burner. 500W ocz modxtream pro. it's all in a Raidmax smilodon.

My idol temps in bios were 40 deg. for CPU and 30 for mobo. from other posts it seems that may be a little high for the cpu.

Vcore volt was between 1.3 and 1.45 - stock. nothing in bios changed yet. The cable management isn't all that bad, maybe could be cleaner, but gives plenty of space in front and around the cpu/mobo.

The psu has a 130mm fan intaking i believe right over mobo etc. sorry i don't have any pics, but was wondering.

There's 4 fans right now, not including psu, 120 mm front intake, 2 80mm intake side, and 120 mm rear exhaust. would it work better to turn a side one around for exhaust to even the intake to exhaust?

i'll be glad to give more info if it helps. thanks.

p.s. i know it's not an 'over-clocking' issue but i assume those who overclock frequently know their stuff on temps etc.

Well, download the program Prime 95, run it, and after 10 - 20 minutes, check your CPU temps. If they're below ~62C, you'll be fine - the max is 71C, but you do not want to go near there. On stock speeds though, you should be lower.

The case fans can have a definite impact. I'm not sure I would change anything though, at least not placing an exhaust fan right next to an intake fan on the side panel. They would likely "cancel" out, the air being pushed out by one would be put right back in by the other. You could try to turn off one of the side panel fans (or even both), and check temps..

The temps seem a little high, you should be idling between 30-34C if in a room thats around 23C.
I'm wondering if you used the TIM that came with the HSF or if you applied your own. Also I'm wondering if you have done something with the BIOS settings for the CPU fan, such as setting it on low noise.

30C is a great temp for your SB.

ok, I see now how you may have an intake on one side panel and one on the other. The idea is that you should have intake on the lower front and exhaust on the upper back of the case. Anything that interferes with that flow can create dead spots where heat can be trapped and won't move.

Having said that I still don't see where you would have an issue, but airflow is kinda funny. In other words, it may not be doing what you think its doing, or what you think it Ought to be doing!

I would try to change a few things and monitor temps accordingly.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

If your intake pressure is a lot higher than your exhaust pressure, you may have issues with heated air cycling inside the case, which is obviously less than ideal. It can't hurt to test for yourself how fan config can make a difference. In my experience, admittedly, with graphics cards that add a lot more heat to the inside of the case, side fans should exhaust if you have only one exhaust fan paired with a front intake. Cases with top exhaust fans in addition to the standard rear do well with fresh air being pumped into the side, but otherwise, side exhaust do very well for keeping hot air off the CPU.

This is something I would try, with the OEM heatsink the fan exhausts straight toward the side panel. You should reverse the side panel fan for exhaust and see how that may effect temps.

Actually positive pressure or negative pressure will increase airflow in the case, having equal CFM's for intake and exhaust will create dead spots and pockets of heat buildup. Positive pressure works fine in many systems, although admittedly I use negative pressure in my system.

miked83

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I ran prime95 for about 30 min. and PC Probe II read the cpu going to 52C at highest and MB stayed around 30c. during idle PC probe II reads about 8C less than bios, which one should i go with? I will try reversing a side fan to help ventilate the cpu and see how that goes. thanks.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Is that the generic CPU reading or the actual CORE reading? The generic CPU reading I've found is usually 10-15 degrees higher for my motherboard than the actual CORE cpu reading. You really want to know what the core value is and go by that.

With my CPU, I've unlocked the 4th core and overclocked it from 2.8 ghz to 3.51 ghz which means I lose the ability to read my core, so I did some overclocking with just 3 cores and monitored both my CPU and my Core CPU temps. It was from this that I determined that there was a 10-15 degree difference between the core cpu and the generic cpu readings.

My idle temp from Speedfan shows my CPU temp is around 42, which means my idle CPU temp is any where between 27 to 32 degrees. My temp at load reads around 55, which means I'm seeing a core temp of 40 to 45 degrees.

Have you ran speedfan to see what your core CPU temp is? That is what you want to go by. For most people, the "CPU" temp as opposed to the "Core cpu temp" is usually about 5 degrees higher, but in my case, it's definitely 10-15.

My ambient temperature hangs around 37 to 40 degrees.