Asus p6t deluxe error

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Asus
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 2, 2008 4:35:24 AM

Hey guys

Haven't assembled a computer for around 8 years now.

MB: ASUS P6T Deluxe
VGA: HD4870 X2
PSU: Silverstone 1000w

I have just received the hardware parts I ordered, assembled everything together as it was written in the manuals.
When I powered PC on, nothing happened, no display, no beeps.
Then I talked with guys on IRC and realized my card needs power directly from the PSU (the quick install manual did not detail it). Plugged the PSU into the card, but forgot about the 8 pin card connector that came with the card and could connect only the 6 pin connector. And even more dumbness, connected the other 6 pin card connector to the PSU instead of the 8 pin PSU connector.

The results were smoke from the cable and system shut down.

After that, I could restart the PC and everything went just like before. Still no display, still no beeps.

Question:
What would be the best chain of to-do s if I wanna get this rig working as quick as possible (and spending as little plus money on it as possible too)?
I really need it now.

Thank you very much

More about : asus p6t deluxe error

December 2, 2008 4:57:01 AM

Oh there was one place I screwed up what the manual wrote, I accidently touched both the bottom of the cpu and the pins with my tumb. The pins didn't get bent.
Can the oil cause the problem?
What would be the safest method to clean it? (I guess alcohol, but applied with what, ear rubbers?)
December 2, 2008 5:34:27 AM

Reading directions is a wonderful thing. Try it next time you try to build anything... especially after 8 years!

Where there is smoke, there is fire. You probably fried at least the GPUs.... Your best bet is to RMA everything and try again.
Related resources
December 2, 2008 5:56:32 AM

Your video card is definately ruined. You should throw it away and buy another.

Noobs like you that break things and expect someone to pay for your mistake really piss me off.
December 2, 2008 6:02:37 AM

Although every novice should at least read directions before attempting to build something, there is no need to be immature and name call.

He will learn from his mistakes hopefully~
December 2, 2008 6:04:12 AM

No one asked you. He wont learn but his vendor sure will.
December 2, 2008 1:55:15 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Your video card is definately ruined. You should throw it away and buy another.

Noobs like you that break things and expect someone to pay for your mistake really piss me off.

Where did I say I was expecting someone else to pay for it? I know I made the mistake and I will pay for it, just as wrote, wanna spend as little additional money as possible.

I DID read the manuals throughfully! The PSU manual says nothing about how to plug in the cables, the ASUS VGA card's quick installation manual says the following thing about power: "Connect a 4pin 5v/12v power plug from the system power supply if your card has an auxiliary power connector (for specific cards only)". Well, after plugging in I did not see the power connectors on the card. I'd been already assembling the comp for 10 hours (for example, had to disassemble everything after I realized the motherboard box contained the back-plugs panel, and it can only be installed on the case before the motherboard is applied to it, and the ASUS manual writes NOTHING about the whole thing.).
Then I realized that power connector, was pretty tired, and tried what I had to.

BUT the symptoms did not change afterwards!
If it was surely the VGA card, I'd gladly replace it, but if the motherboard felt it had no VGA card, according to the manual, it should beep. Yet it doesn't. So I suppose it's more than just that, and really wanna figure out which things are wrong.

December 2, 2008 1:59:12 PM

slomo4sho said:
Reading directions is a wonderful thing. Try it next time you try to build anything... especially after 8 years!

Where there is smoke, there is fire. You probably fried at least the GPUs.... Your best bet is to RMA everything and try again.

You really think I can RMA after those mistakes I've done?
Besides, I ordered the hardware parts from very far away (and the PSU for e.g. came from different venfor than the mobo), it wouldn't be easy to return them. Well, I wasn't expecting on this. Next time I will be.

But now what I think I need to do is realize which parts are defective by now and replace them.
December 2, 2008 5:41:30 PM

Well the motherboard wont beep unless you plugged the motherboard speaker in. "I doubt you did"

I got the same board, it does ship with a speaker, but you have to plug it in to the q connector. or straght to the mobo if you dont use the q connector.

Also since your PSU smoked it cold be bad also. Either swap out for known good parts or take it to a shop and have them test it.
December 2, 2008 11:08:21 PM

roadrunner197069 said:

I got the same board, it does ship with a speaker, but you have to plug it in to the q connector. or straght to the mobo if you dont use the q connector.

Are you sure it ships with a speaker? I can't find any on the mobo, neither amongst the accessories, and nothing is written about it in the manual. The only thing that's written in the manual is that the chassis-mounted speakers can be connected to the Q connector, however my silverstone TJ10 doesn't have mounted speakers.
December 2, 2008 11:11:00 PM

Mine came with one and the thing is like 5 inches long.

You wont get any beeps without one.
December 3, 2008 12:09:22 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
Mine came with one and the thing is like 5 inches long.

You wont get any beeps without one.

From the ASUS manual, package of contents:

------------------------------------------

Motherboard:
ASUS P6T Deluxe

I/O modules:
1 x 2-port USB 2.0 / 1-port IEEE 1394 module

Cables:
6 x Serial ATA signal cables
2 x SAS cables
1 x Ultra DMA 133.100/66 cable

Accessories:
1x OC Palm Kit
1 x ASUS Q-Shield
1 x Optional Fan
1 x ASUS Q-Connnector Kit
1x ASUS SLI bridge connector

Application DVD:
ASUS motherboard support DVD

Documentation:
User guide

---------------------------

I don't see speakers listed here. Maybe they left it out from the OC Palm edition? Are you sure you had one in the motherboard's package?
December 3, 2008 12:28:34 AM

Well theres one on my desk, and I never had one before I bought the motherboard.

Asus is famous for not putting them in though. Thats why I bought some otherones way back, but they are smaller and been put away for a long time.
December 3, 2008 11:50:34 PM

I got the OC Palm edition as well, no speaker for me. Could be they just forgot about it, then started throwing it in with the box undocumented.
December 4, 2008 2:49:44 AM

Just pull a speaker from a old case if you have one laying around :p  Thats what I did for my new build which was built using the Antec 900.
!