Sign in with
Your question

Low Profile Video Cards: Require additional power?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2008 1:09:23 AM

I recently ran into a problem attempting to play prince of persia on my desktop PC. I have an old ATI X800XL installed that has finally reached a game it can't play. It has served me well, but it's time to upgrade because PoP requires shader 2.0 (or w/e it's called). The problem is my case only has a 305w power supply (Dell Optiplex GX620) with no free extra connectors. It is my understanding that low-profile video cards generally do not require additional power connectors to run. I just wanted to confirm after I purchased a new card that it won't require additional power. (also how to tell for future reference).

I bought this one which seemed to be getting the highest reviews w/ decent performance:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=AT-365_5LP

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!
December 26, 2008 1:35:14 AM

i recommend a 4670 for future proofing and power reasons... im assuming that X800XL is a pci express card? cos if not...
December 26, 2008 1:38:05 AM

yes it is haha...and i'm not looking to 'future-proof' this PC. I bought it as my college PC the summer before my freshman year and I am graduating in the spring. I will probably build a new system within the upcoming year.

Also, for the 4670...any of the manufacturers work? link/suggestions? And I assume it does not require any additional power from the PSU?
Related resources
December 26, 2008 2:27:03 AM

bump...hoping to get some confirmation while I can still cancel my order on the sapphire...appreciate any help! :D 

edit: Went with this card after canceling my order on the original sapphire:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

seems to have gotten excellent all-around reviews and have read many people say they are running on 300w power supplies with no additional power cords required. Thanks for the suggestion!
December 26, 2008 5:01:30 AM

yup good choice :p 

btw 300w psu's is nothing to brag about... i've seen 9600GT's (and even one 8800GT system but no one will believe me..) run on 300W systems.
December 27, 2008 6:59:09 AM

yeah but it still probably doesnt have enough horsepower..
December 27, 2008 3:33:53 PM

well the game wouldn't even start...maybe it requires 3? (if that exists) I don't know a lot about the shader technology. It just prompted me saying that my video card didn't have the required shader technology (either 2 or 3 I guess) and closed the game.
!