Low Profile Video Cards: Require additional power?

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I recently ran into a problem attempting to play prince of persia on my desktop PC. I have an old ATI X800XL installed that has finally reached a game it can't play. It has served me well, but it's time to upgrade because PoP requires shader 2.0 (or w/e it's called). The problem is my case only has a 305w power supply (Dell Optiplex GX620) with no free extra connectors. It is my understanding that low-profile video cards generally do not require additional power connectors to run. I just wanted to confirm after I purchased a new card that it won't require additional power. (also how to tell for future reference).

I bought this one which seemed to be getting the highest reviews w/ decent performance:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=AT-365_5LP

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
yes it is haha...and i'm not looking to 'future-proof' this PC. I bought it as my college PC the summer before my freshman year and I am graduating in the spring. I will probably build a new system within the upcoming year.

Also, for the 4670...any of the manufacturers work? link/suggestions? And I assume it does not require any additional power from the PSU?

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
bump...hoping to get some confirmation while I can still cancel my order on the sapphire...appreciate any help! :D

edit: Went with this card after canceling my order on the original sapphire:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127383

seems to have gotten excellent all-around reviews and have read many people say they are running on 300w power supplies with no additional power cords required. Thanks for the suggestion!

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
yup good choice :p

btw 300w psu's is nothing to brag about... i've seen 9600GT's (and even one 8800GT system but no one will believe me..) run on 300W systems.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
well the game wouldn't even start...maybe it requires 3? (if that exists) I don't know a lot about the shader technology. It just prompted me saying that my video card didn't have the required shader technology (either 2 or 3 I guess) and closed the game.