LCD Display Problem

Hi,

I have bought a new Samsung SyncMaster 2242LNX (or 2243LNX ?) TFT LCD monitor, I have put it on my old ASUS K8V-MX MOBO which has on-board video (VIA K8M800) and Linux uses VIA graphics driver for that.

As long as I work on command-line it works fine but I can't run X. When I run X then whole screen starts to flicker randomly and the quality of X is too poor to look at. I only got quick set-up guide which says 1680x1050 of optimum resolution at 60 Hz, no manual where I can see Vertical and Horizontal refresh rates :( . Now since I don't have any Vertical and Horizontal refresh rates what to put in /etc/X11/xorg.conf , which requires a range to be specified.

What could be wrong ? My old Samsung 17 inches CRT monitor works fine on it.

My MOBO has PCI and AGP8x slots only, so I am getting ATI Radeon X1650 card. I thought on-board VGA card does not support that higher amount of resolution, so buying this card will solve my problem ?
3 answers Last reply
More about display problem
  1. I have had mb's with similar Via chipsets . The range of resolutions offered doesnt come any where near 1650 x 1050 . Im not sure if its a chipset or driver limitation , but there were no updated unicrap drivers to even run a 1440 x 900 .

I suspect the only option you have is to install a gfx card
  2. Outlander_04 said:
    I have had mb's with similar Via chipsets . The range of resolutions offered doesnt come any where near 1650 x 1050 . Im not sure if its a chipset or driver limitation , but there were no updated unicrap drivers to even run a 1440 x 900 .

I suspect the only option you have is to install a gfx card

Bad new for me, there is only one AGP8x based gfx card in the whole computer market, X1650 with 512 MB or RAM and I don't know wheteher it supports 1680x1050 of resolution *specifically*, though the web-site says it supports 4kx4k. I don't know whether it works on Linux or not, Linux is the only OS I use. 2nd, my mobo supports 1.8 volts cards (not 3.3 V).

If the new card does not work then I am blown as buying a new MOBO will make an AGP 8x based card useless, as all new ones have PCI-Express slots , plus new expanses for CPU and RAM too .. ocuh... it hurts ...
  3. x1650 supports 1680x1050

new cards are the lower voltage, the x1650 should work in your system fine as long as linux has drivers for it

i would just get something under 50 bucks since you obviously dont play games and such

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131070R
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards LCD Monitor Graphics Product