Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Laptops
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 13, 2010 9:03:28 AM

Hello,
how do i get windows to recognize my two external hard drives. both are two terabit fantom drives on a gateway laptop approximately 3 years old fantom drives are brand new green drives

More about : install external hard drives laptop

a b G Storage
May 13, 2010 11:57:15 AM

What are they - USB? Are you trying to plug them both in at the same time? What happens when you do plug them in?
m
l
May 13, 2010 8:39:24 PM

Thay are usb and esata they both appear in devices and printers, however only one of them shows up in my f: drive and allows me full access to the hard disk. I think I need to mess with the settings I just dont know which ones, com ports, irq, just dont know, any help would be great thanks. Also only one shows up in my computer tab, im running windows 7 64 bit professional.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
May 13, 2010 8:56:02 PM

Stupid question, but has the other drive been formatted?

Casey
m
l
May 13, 2010 10:56:55 PM

Answer to my own question, I internet searched the drives and read the online instructions FAQ. In there it suggested a few things but the one that worked was as follows. Click the start menu, right click computer, left click manage. This brings up a completely different device manager window. Continue clicking storage devices till all your drives appear. From here I figured it out on my own, the FAQ wanted me to do something with the partitions, which wasnt necessary for me because at the bottom of the sreen there was a scroll box in which both my drives appeared, use the approximate size of your drives to tell the difference. In the box there was an ! and it said offline because there was a driver signature confliction. This is what I figured all along because they are the exact same drives only one serial # apart. So I clicked it and it fixed it automatically. So to anyone else I would first say read all the insructions plus any u can find on the manufactureres website first it helped me. Also these esata drives are ridiculously faster than usb2.0 about 3 to 4 times faster from what ive test transferd
20 gig files in 2 min. Hope this helps anyone else thanks to who replied already. Yeah I formatted the drives as soon as I gotem, mostly plug and play ready to go just a little stupid windows 7 thing i didnt know about. probably not so stupid I just didnt know, now I do!
m
l
!