Sign in with
Your question

Dual boot HDD problems

Last response: in Storage
May 13, 2010 9:27:53 AM

I have a Dell Precision 490 with 2 SAS 147 GB drives as originally installed. I dual boot Win 7 and XP PRO whci I suppose I will eventually get rid

I have installed a WD Black Caviar 640. Powered up on Win 7. 'Device found' message. Doesn't show up on Computer but Device Manager says installed. What next?

I then rebooted to XP but this wouldn't load because of 'hardware configuration'. Rebooted and Win 7 wouldn't load.

I have taken the new drive out and put back as was and everything works. So, any ideas

More about : dual boot hdd problems

May 13, 2010 2:45:40 PM

Well if you put it back and it works now, what's the issue? Sounds like maybe you had a loose connection.

You might want to consider backing up on the new HDD and running the two SAS 147GB drives in RAID 0 for some speed and the WD Black Caviar as back up/ whatever else that doesn't need quicker read/write :)  tho you'll need to format them.
May 13, 2010 4:41:11 PM

Sorry, that wasn't clear. I removed the new drive altogether and it works as it did before I installed the new drive - so its is not working yet.
Related resources
May 13, 2010 4:50:00 PM

Oh ok, try installing it and go into your BIOS. Make sure your HDDs are all set up right whether IDE/ACHI don't have RAID enabled since you want them separate... also, check the boot sequence just to be sure. Possibly the SATA connector is faulty so try a different one if you can.

Otherwise, it might just be a dead drive. Can you tell if it's running? Maybe try plugging it in but keep it outside your case so you can isolate if sound is coming from it. You might have to exchange it tho.
May 13, 2010 6:03:05 PM

Thanks. I'll try that later.
May 14, 2010 5:10:18 PM

Right. Re-installed, using SATA 2 where I had used exisiting SATA leads on board O checked bios, all seemed ok. Booted up and XP recognised, Set up as basic disk after inadvertently setting up as dynamic. Formnatted one partition.

Switched off and rebooted to Win 7 and there it was. However, when I rebooted it had disappeared off both OS. rebooted and Win 7 saw it but would nit initialise (the partition that was there had gone) and it was the whole disk again due to an I/O error. Any rebooting to windows (both xp pro and win 7)took forever but came on eventually. so I have disconnected again and everything works OK again. Any ideas gratefully received.

As a possible separate issue the soundcard/drivers do not now work on Win 7 but do under XP but this may have happened before the new HDD - I am not sure.
May 14, 2010 5:22:58 PM

Hmm... well I can only throw out suggestions so I'll suggest you try disconnecting your current HDDs, and maybe see if you can boot up and install windows on the new one.
Did you try plugging it into a different SATA port on the mobo?
a c 99 G Storage
May 14, 2010 5:25:30 PM

Sorry, just noticed you got it....nevermind...

But, the OS drive must be on the first SATA port (0 or 1), the problem drive should be the next available port (but doesn't have to be). Check BIOS setting for drives, and boot order. That's all I got.

If you didn't format the drive, Windows explorer won't show it. But Device Manager and Disk Manager will.

start/computer/right-click, choose manage/choose disk management/is the drive there?

right click on the drive/format...

Same for Windows 7 and XP Pro. But once you do it in one, it'll show up in the other.

Hope this helps.
May 15, 2010 11:11:18 AM

foscooter said:
Sorry, just noticed you got it....nevermind...

But, the OS drive must be on the first SATA port (0 or 1), the problem drive should be the next available port (but doesn't have to be). Check BIOS setting for drives, and boot order. That's all I got.

If you didn't format the drive, Windows explorer won't show it. But Device Manager and Disk Manager will.

start/computer/right-click, choose manage/choose disk management/is the drive there?

right click on the drive/format...

Same for Windows 7 and XP Pro. But once you do it in one, it'll show up in the other.

Hope this helps.

tHANKS.

The OS is on the SAS drives that were installed originally. I tried originally to install the sata drive on sata O which already had the cable plugged into the mobo. one for 0 and 1. That didn't seem to work and i couldn't reboot once I had shut down.

I then used a new cable and connected to sata2 has suggested in manual (although it doesn't say why exactly - maybe under the assumption that two sata drives had already been installed.

I got as far as formatting a partition on the new drive (in XP)so it worked to that extent and i then rebooted into Win 7 and the new partition was there. But when I rebooted it had vanished from both. It was visible in disk manager but there was no partition, just the empty disk but I could not access the disk to intialise - due to an I/O error. That is where I am. I have disconnected drive and ready to go again but I feel i will be just repeating unless i get some idea of what's wrong.
I am sure its simple - but then so am I!
July 19, 2010 10:03:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions but it turned out to be a faulty drive - the new one went in in ten minutes
!