Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

so from what I understand the bclk is the same for the cpu as ram and the multiplier differs. Is that right?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You don't need to overclock the CPU core to get it to run the RAM at DDR3-1600. The CPU's memory controller has a clock ratio for that, you can set that speed in BIOS on most boards.

Technically, this is overclocking the memory controller. In practice, the stress is so low you don't normally need to change any other CPU settings.

That's BCLK=133 MHz, DRAM at 6x, which may be labeled by data rate as 12x, or may just be labeled "DDR3-1600", depending on your BIOS menu.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

What's QPI ratio and link speed?

And so I can change my bclk to 160 and then leave my cpu multiplier at 21 and change my ram multipl.ier to 10 and then I should have ram 1600mhz and cpu 3360mhz right?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You get slightly higher performance at a higher base clock (BCLK). Base Clock is like AMD's reference clock, it's the clock speed on which other devices inside the CPU are based. It replaces FSB clock, because the FSB has been replaced with an internal link between the CPU core and memory controller.

If you want to overclock the CPU, it's OK to use 160 MHz and the proper DRAM ratio to reach DDR3-1600. That DRAM ratio would be 5x, because DDR memory runs at half the clock speed of its data rate (it is double data rate). However, some BIOS will refer to the ratio in data rate, which means the 5x ratio is written as 10x.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

aaaah ok but why do you say it's OK? what would be a better overclock then? And would I have to change anything to the QPI cause I'm really lost there and wikipedia just made it worse.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Higher BCLK requires higher QPI/Vtt voltage and so it would be easier to achieve the 1600MHz with high ratio.

Generally, OCing is much easier with low BCLK and high ratio than high BCLK and low ratio.
Hence, the extreme editions which all come with unlocked ratio/multiplier are so darn expensive.

Correct! :)

No offense, but the Core i5/i7 are different from the old C2D/C2Q and you need 10x to achieve 1600MHz with 160MHz BCLK!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I'm not offended, it's just the meaning of DDR hasn't changed in the past ten years. I have some boards here that say 5x, others that say 10x, and the actual ratios are 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x etc. A lot of people ask why only the "even" DRAM multipliers are available (6x, 8x, 10x), it's because they don't understand that it's DDR memory.

Think about it a minute

Double Data Rate

Let that soak in, it's 1600 MHz data rate after it's been doubled

DDR3-1600 runs at 800 MHz. Well, at least the bus does, what goes on inside the individual chips is irrelevant to this discussion.

Edit: BTW, the CPU clock multipliers and DRAM multipliers are ratios between the BCLK and actual clock, since the "chipset" parts for both are now on the processor.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

You seem t know quite a lot maybe you could help me out since my system doesn't boot anymore. I went throught the checklist in the forum nothing helped. It started after I took the mobo out to install a new heatsink then I put the mobo back and pressed the power button. The system switched on for about 10 or 20secs and then turned off. Now when I press the button the fans twitch and thats it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You have to disconnect the power before you CLR_CMOS. If that doesn't work, perhaps the motherboard is shorted somewhere?

I work with overclocked systems constantly but haven't had that problem in years. Well, I've had a similar problem with a few motherboards that were blown, but that was from running high CPU voltages on cheap boards with undersized voltage regulators.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Yes I did disconnect the power. I isn't really a cheap mobo its an asus p6t deluxe. And I haven't oc'd anything yet. And if it did short somewhere does this mean the mobo is broken?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Try assembling the components outside of the case, because doing so would eliminate the possibility of shorts to the case. You can set the motherboard on a box, phone book, or any other non-conductive surface to test it.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Tried it it didn't help

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Er, bring it to me and I'll take a look at it? Seriously, it sounds like you need a hands-on diagnosis, but I'm sure there's SOMEONE here who will eventually be able to walk you through every possible diagnostic step.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

I think the motherboard's broken. But I know a guy who knows a lot about coputers If he comes by he might be able to solve the problem.

Here's the guide you looking for:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20081220191040237&board_id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Very detailed instructions including tables and settings. In short:

Stock:
133 BCLK x 21 CPU Multiplier = 2.80 GHz
133 BCLK x 8 mem Multiplier = 1066 MHz

25% OC
167 BCLK x 21 CPU Multiplier = 3.50 GHz
167 BCLK x 8 mem Multiplier = 1333 MHz

50% OC
200 BCLK x 21 CPU Multiplier = 4.2 GHz, my BIOS for example allows even numbers from 6 thru 14
1200 BCLK x 8 mem Multiplier = 1600 MHz

As was said above, you don't have to use 8 as the mem multiplier, my BIOS for example allows even numbers from 6 thru 14