New Build Wont Post

dpc_91

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
I recently put together a new system but cant get it to Post, I just get a blank screen and the monitor powers down. This is my 3rd build and all have gone well until now. I've narrowed it down to what I believe is a MOBO problem. Asus customer support has suggested (after several back and forth calls) that the BIOS on the board may not support the CPU (board and CPU were sold as a matched pair from Tiger) and that a BIOS update may be needed.

Is there anything else I can try before sending it back to Asus for a BIOS update. I want to be completely sure its the MOBO and not something I missed?

Thanks.

I'm using:
Asus M2N-SLI nForce 560 Socket AM2 Motherboard (New)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Socket AM2 CPU (New)

LED: The Case Power and Reset LEDs do not work when the PC is powered on. I have removed these and tested them separately, they work fine.

Speaker: The Case Speaker does not beep when the PC is powered on. I have removed it and tested it separately, it works fine.

CMOS: I have cleared the CMOS multiple times and the PC still will not post. I have tried holding down the 'delete' key on powerup and I still get no post.

Monitor: I have tried 2 monitors that I know work and I still get a black screen on powerup.

Monitor Cables: I have tried 2 monitor VGA cables and 2 power cables that I know
work and I still get a blank screen on powerup.

PSU: The motherboards LED lights up when the PSU is turned on so the PSU looks fine (I will test ti in a seprerate PC later tonight)

PSU: The PSU is set to the correct voltage.

Graphics Card: I have tried 2 different graphics cards that I know work and I still get a blank screen.

DVD Drive: This seems to have a contanct active light on it when I connect it to the MOBO and will not eject.

CPU: It's a new CPU. I have no way of testing it as I dont have a second compatable machine.

RAM: I have powered up with and without RAM and I dont get a screen.

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
When you power up your system, are the fans spinning?

Anyways a list of specific components you used would clarify the problem a bit more. I don't think there's much advice that others can give you if you think you've already singled out the problem.

Good luck.

Welcome to the forums!

If it's a bios problem, it should boot up and say unknown processor.
Did you plug in the 4-pin power connector?
Remove the motherboard from the case and with power and a beeper test for beeps. Keep adding components and test for beeps.
You may have a dead on arrival motherboard.

dpc_91

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Anyways a list of specific components you used would clarify the problem a bit more

Ultra Aluminus Black Mid Tower with 700w XVS PSU

WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G

Centon 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x2048MB)

EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI

Sony DRU190A 20X DVD Burner EIDE Black Retail

If it's a bios problem, it should boot up and say unknown processor

Nope, just a blank screen then monitor powerdown

Remove the motherboard from the case and with power and a beeper test for beeps. Keep adding components and test for beeps.

I will try this tonight

When you power up your system, are the fans spinning?

Case fan spins. I'll double check the rest tonight.

Did you plug in the 4-pin power connector?

99% sure I did, I will check when I get home.

Thanks