Cancer Cure finding Dude!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
We'll I'm officially crunching numbers to find a cure for cancer. My mom is a 3 year cancer survivor so I thought this was pretty cool. I've got a huge 9 points so far with 1 whole unit complete!!! YeeHaa!!!

G

I think its a great idea, I have racked up 2738 points with 12 units completed with 6days 12 hrs of cpu time.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
When I get my second computer built I might consider seti@home but right now finding aliens just isn't that important to me. So I take it there's no Tom's cure finding team? Only the seti team? Anyway this is cool. My current computer is only a P3 600 so I'm not blazing but I'm getting there.

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Just set up a second computer on UD cancer software. It barely met the system requirements but she's running 24/7

“Man who stand on toilet must be high on pot”-Confucius :smile:

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
I've been running the United Devices Cancer research for quite some time now, i started when the project started back on april 3, Currently Im processing for AMDZONE.com cuz THG doesnt have a UD team that i know of :( AMDZONE.com is 4th-5th place in the event.

Me an a few friends have 137,368 points, 595 days 23 hours of cpu time, and 1760 results completed. For the month of october we're rank 538 ;)
So those are my bragging rights. Look us up, The Collective under team AMDZONE.com

UD is the biggest distributed computing project on the net behind SETI@home, and is gaining popularity quickly, last i heard it has like 556,000 people signed up.
--DarkPhire

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I wonder what it would take to get a THG team? I've thought about going to the other classrooms in the building I work in and loading it on them but I figure the network admin would probably notice and yank them off. It would be pretty slick though. I'd have about 30 computers running 24/7.

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
Yeah but be REAL careful about that, make sure the school knows. Some kid at georgia tech did that and is currently getting criminal charges filed against him, (he was running distributed.net clients on the schools pc lab, he worked as a network admin at the school). He is gonna get fined ALOT of money and might even go to prison....

Just a thought... LOL, not to say it wouldnt be the best thing ever, i wanted to do that to our colleges pc lab, they have at least 50 pentium III 733's, and then another lab with pentium III 900's. MUAHHAHA, that would be awesome. oh well, i can dream cant i?

--DarkPHire

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Here's the place to download the program <A HREF="http://members.ud.com/download/gold/" target="_new">http://members.ud.com/download/gold/</A> and here's the THG team page. <A HREF="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E6639-84A1-465D-A914-07BDB039E379" target="_new">Tom's</A>

Once you've downloaded it and joined you can go to the THG page and click on "Join This Team".

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
Hey wiseguy, you should join us on AMDZONE.com.

I am very much a loyal reader/fan of THG. But simply put, we don't seem to have any organization whatsoever. SETI@home is the closest we've come to even having a team.

Whereas you go to pages like [H]ardOCP or ARStechnica. which might not even have as many readers as THG, and they have a huge following.

Anyways, the reason i mentioned it is because we could use the xtra processing power. We're currently 4th. And it must be getting kinda lonely on the THG UD team. I garantee competition on the AMDZONE.COM team ;).

We just got some more machines up, 1.33 ghz T-bird, 1.4 ghz t-bird, and a 800 Mhz PIII.

I cant wait to see how the ATHLON XP's do on UD :-D

You can view our team statistics on this link ::

http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=1549C459-F67F-498F-A873-23AD2F358A21

If you wanna join, just click the "Join this team" button up at the top.

peace

--DarkPhire(United Devices team : AMDZONE.com Member name : The Collective)

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Darkphire,

Come now, what's this? Recruiting existing THG team members to join another team? As if the DMZZone needs any help. Please. Wiseguy is a Pioneer. He is one of the first members growing his points with the team. He is one of the few the proud members of the Tom's Hardware Guide UD team. You wait, AMDzone, we are coming to get you. I just got to talk my coworkers into putting in a plug for the THG Team, you wait, you will be making the switch. Go Wiseguy, Go Proud Members of THG UD team, find that cure! :)

<A HREF="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E6639-84A1-465D-A914-07BDB039E379" target="_new">UD</A>

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Thanks for the invite, however I do believe I would feel like a bit of a traitor if I left. I'm not throwing big numbers up on the board (scotty3303 is about to pass me with half the time spent) but I think its kinda cool for us starting from near scratch and working our way up the chain.

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
LOL, Well hey, at least Me inviting you guys has increased your level of patriotism for THG right? ;)

And no matter how little of points your bringing in, it is always a benefit :)

On another note, the very reason that i invited you to my team wiseguy :) is because then you would be able to start from the bottom and work your way up a developed team ;)

I have to admit though, i am kinda jelous of getting to start from scratch ;) . So crunch on my friends ;)

We currently have 1 x AMD Tbird 1.4 @ 1.53, 2 x 1.4 AMD tbirds, 1x 1.33 ghz tbird, 1x 1.2ghz t-bird, 2 x 900 mhz t-birds, 1 x 900 mhz PIII, 1x 800 mhz t-bird, 2x 800 mhz pIII's, 1 x 750 mhz t-bird, 1 x 733 mhz Pentium III, and a few little k6-2's at 475 and PIII's at 500 returnin results every now and then.

RECRUIT RECRUIT!! THE THG TEAM IS COMING FOR US!! =)

rockon guys ;)

--DarkPhire(United Devices team : AMDZONE.com Member name : The Collective)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by darkphire on 11/02/01 05:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh... newbies....
153 work units completed (all by myself i might add)
some 15800 points
many many hits
and last week i had one work unit that took 30 hours of DEDICATED CPU TIME to complete on my athlon 1350@150!!!

OEMs selling "High End"PCs with integrated video will be forced into Q3tournaments using a TNT2M64!

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
My record is 281, on a SOD protein. The new ones dont have very many hits.

They also take longer...
Especially these tyrosine kinase (q3)'s, they have 1000 molecule variants to process instead of the normal 100 or 200.

--DarkPhire(United Devices team : AMDZONE.com Member name : The Collective)

G

yeah, those tyrosine kinase Q3's are a bitch huh, 40 hrs of cpu time and still only 31% done. Prolly only get 400 points for it too.
Best amount of hits was 182 on an eight hour task.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

G

Hey, dont even think about leavin' man, hehe I wanna catch you. Soon as I get close to you I go away for a few days and have to catch you again.
(AMD-1462Mhz, best overall comparison is ~146 to the 1.5G Intel ~100)my network lets me down some.

Already one traitor has left, but then again I was a traitor to come to team THG. Good thing is if or when others join we should be the kings. :wink:

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I figured it was something like that. One day you where right at my heels and I figured you would pass me within a day or two. Then I pulled a little further ahead. My second computer is a poor little thing. Sometimes a WU takes nearly a week to finish. I think thats how my cpu time has jumped up so high. I'm expecting to have another computer fairly soon so don't start licking your chops too soon. hehe.

<A HREF="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E6639-84A1-465D-A914-07BDB039E379" target="_new">UD</A>

G

aww, that makes it fair!

G

Catching you.

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Yep :( looks like I'm busted. Give me time though. I shall soon make my advance and become supreme points producer.

G

I had to run 24/7 to catch you though. Now Iam after the THG team. :smile:

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is THG Taiwan here. I was away last week. My PC was off unfortunately. Yes, I can't believe it either. Will install UD on other PCs as well soon.

G

Hi Michael,

Yes, I can't believe it either
Interested in what you mean? :smile:
Anyway we are doing great guns with team THG!
Just need about another 100,000 members to make an attempt on the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.