luvkush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Can anyone help me out... I OC'ed my phenom II 940 to 3.5ghz using only the multiplyer, and increasing the voltage 1 step at a time...but when i do prime95 it always gives me the blue screen of death...i did memtest incase it was my memory but it passed very long tests...So it must be my overclockin, iv tried all the volts from 1.32 - almost 1.4 nothing seems to keep it stable... any suggestions? Thnx in advanced...

also if i am supposed to increase any other types of voltage .. plz let me know.. i am knew to this.......

P.S my temps are 33c idle and 55-57c Full Load

phenom 940 3.5ghz
corsair dominator 1066
600w psu
msi hd4850

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Lol, im not sure you're allowed to put your CPU OC in your sig until its stable....

I'd go for either PSU or Cooling / Voltage, I know you say your temps are ok but in prime95 its gonna shoot up so you might not see it spike before it crashes...

post back with the make and model of your cooler and PSU and we'll take it from there....

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
hi, sorry, i didnt see your proper sig , i relaise you did actually put the info in there.....

I'm a bit stumped, I dont know how good AMD stock coolers are, but a better one might help, I just wonder if your PSU might be just a smidgen underpowered for your system when overclocked or if the amperage might be unbalanced if its got more than one rail.... you could always try it with all your optical drives and stuff disconnected and see if that helps...

My gut feeling is still either heat or PSU, as an afterthought maybe memory, id run memtest with the system overcloked and see what happens that way you can stress it out and leave the CPU realitively idle....

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
granted with the rosewill, you may want to try raising the voltage to 1.42, my friend has a pII 940 and has a 1.43v with a 3.6Ghz clock. though i wouldn't suggest anything above 1.44v

loneninja

Distinguished
Further increase your voltage, not all processors clock the same and some require more voltage than others. There's also the chance that you just got a really poor overclocker, it does happen.

luvkush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
aright thnx guys, il wait for my zalman 9700 to come in then il try higher volts...and if still no good, il get abetter psu maybe a 650w corsair ..