yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
You don't need benchmarks. Core i7 wins, in almost every single benchmarks, in almost every single category. Core 2 Quad is known to have bottleneck issues when pairing with 2 or more CPUs. Under that circumstance, usually Core 2 Quads are outperformed by AMD's K10.

Core i7 outperformed dual AMD Shanghai (45nm K10) in both integer and floating points benchmarks, I/O benchmarks, etc. Suffice to say that if you want pure performance, Core i7 will satisfy you.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
One of the several reasons why Skulltrail failed miserably.

Same can be said for Quad FX. In general multiple physical CPU's typically isnt a wise idea unless your running a REAL server, with REAL server hardware. But then again...its still i7.

sefit

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
i7 is definitely great CPU but the right question is what you need it for. If you are looking to build gaming rig go with Dual or Quad if this is not the case and you are planning to do something “serious” (programming, video/photo editing, heavy multitasking, 3D Studio, CAD…) than i7 is best choice when budget allows it.

halcyon

Splendid
The i7 and its 8 logical threads is a great CPU, I got it for virtualizing and it doesn't dissapoint. However, neither did the Q9450 that I upgraded it from. Thanks Intel.