goatley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I just bulild a new system. Like other commenters I have a 4 pin connector on my power supply but the Mobo (ASUS P5Q PRO) has an eight pin. I have an intel Duo E8500. Upon intial boot I connected to the uncoverd 4 pins. The system booted and everything worked fine. The next day druing a gaming session the computer shut down and would not boot.

So I re-seated everyting from the drives to the memory and reset the cmos. over the next 5 days the system would boot then shut down when gaming. Is it possible that the 4 pin is insufficient for my system? If so is there an adaptor I can get to convert to 8 pin or do I need to replace the power supply?

The problem most likely isn't with the 4 pin because that CPU only requires 65W at peak (unless you overclock a lot). It might be caused by a PSU that isn't powerful enough (we can't tell since you didn't list what components are installed in your system), a CPU or video card that overheats, etc.

As previouely state - not a problem with using 4 pins of the 8.

(1) Have you run memory test (prime 95
(2) Hows temps, CPU/GPU, look while gaming
(3) What happens to +5V and +12 V, when loaded. (you can run furmark in window and yous a program like CPUID to monitor min/max Voltages & temps.

And as others stated - Need more info

javadelight

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
A friend of mine had the same problem and I found out he was using a 300watt psu and should have probably had a 600watt psu. He changed the psu and everything worked fine. However, I don't know anything about your system other than your board and cpu so there is no way to tell if that is the problem.

What kind of video card and power supply do you have?

MrMooMoo

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Sounds like you're taking about the EATX12V connector that will power your PCIe rails. It's recomended to use an 8 pin connector to so the board runs stable. Some people claim you can use 4 pin. I use the Antec EA650W that comes with the 8 pin and 6+2 connectors, and have had no issues . Here is an excellent page with all the different power connectors and their use spelled out:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

goatley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

Well part of my problem is I can't remember what the wattage of the old PSU was. I boughit a Raidmax case at the end of 07 or beginning of 08 the Aztech. The current version comes with a 500W PSU but mine may have been 400W back then. If it is a 400w psu it may be border line.

As for the rest of my system. Nvidia 9800 gt. and 4gig corsair dominator memory.

Anyhow I bought a new PSU anyway with a 2X4 pin connector for the 8-pin slot. Raid max RX730SS should be plenty of power.

I'll install that tonight. On the otherhand I have'nt messed much with my comp since the post waiting on the new PSU. IF that does not work I'll have more questions.

goatley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

Ok so I installed a new 730w pwr supply and reset the cmos agein I have and asus pq5 pro mobo and and intell duo e8500 my graphics card is a NVIDA GT 9800 DDR3 sli. Case has 4 fans not to inclued fan on pwr supply. statdard intel heat sinc, and I have been n and out with the additional heat sink that comes with the 4gb cosaire dominator DDR2 1066. both are installed into the yello slots or channel A1 and B1. I have one olde school HD and one SATA instald in Rad 1.

I ran the prime 95 memory test for about 20 minutes and got nothing. then I ran that vista 32 system rater and it locked up. just like before.

so I rebooted got into the bios and checked temps ....cpu 102-104 F mobo 91F .

then I tried to reboot windows and now the damn thing wont boot at all .....not even into the bios.

so essentially replacing the power supply was a wash?

Suggestions

goatley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

I've tried my old video card...... no success. It beeps sort of. but it is the same with no components and with ram added. It is kind of a single beep, but as I said it seem to be the same as I add components ......ram 1 ram 2 vedio card ect .

Further the ram I bought is designed to run in pairs. I'm beginnign to think it is either a ram problem or a mobo problem. Both are under warrantee but I ordered them from new egg and the damn and sent in for the rebates.. and effin newegg wont accept the products without the upc....which is required to get the rebates.

f;urther suggestions?

RAM doesn't need to be installed in pairs. It performs better in dual channel mode and that requires a pair of modules, but a single module should always work. Your motherboard probably is defective. Can you have it tested? Can you test your CPU in another system?

goatley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

How do I get my mobo tested ....is this somthing I can do or can a local tech do it .....If I have to take it to a tech I'd just as soon take send it back to asus.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I KNOW what 104f is in degrees C. I've just never seen a bios report temps in degrees F. And if OP is mis-reporting temps ( f instead of c) then.... No wonder it takes a bit to allow a re-boot. Hence my question / suggestion. And 104f is 42c plus a bit...